Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporal punishment

Options
  • 27-01-2010 3:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

This form of punishment needs to come back. Criminals who rob, rape and assault people need to be whipped. This should deter crime, look at Singapore, I do not think I have been in a safer country.

Anyone who is opposed of this is probably a bleeding heart leftist with sympathy for criminals.

Comments

SLUSK wrote: »
    Anyone who is opposed of this is probably a bleeding heart leftist with sympathy for criminals.
    I am a bleeding heart leftist with sympathy for those wrongfully convicted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I guess you don't like safe places like Singapore either.

No, I like safe places like Vienna. Where I lived for a year and where I never heard of anything bad happening. Over there they have this idea that if they raise their children to respect laws, to respect people it would have some bearing in the future. They don't need to live in fear of "the whip". The way this nation thinks is appalling, "Sure I can get away with that". "Sure he's a cute hoor, fair play to them". Sure it's worse at the top and people will only do what they see ahead of them but really it starts at education and the family.

And it doesn't need to be enforced by barbarity neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I don't think it would be much of a deterrant. I think most criminals would be able to deal with the pain and carry on regardless. I dont know singapore but if its as safe as you say I'd bet its for a different reason(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This form of punishment needs to come back. Criminals who rob, rape and assault people need to be whipped. This should deter crime, look at Singapore, I do not think I have been in a safer country.

SLUSK I honestly .....- over the last few months, I have heard nothing from you but bitching, and moaning, trying to proclaim the United States as a "Fascist Police State" because our Security Forces are too intimidating. And elsewhere, you've been marked as having little to no respect for the concept of Innocent Until Proven Guilty when it came to the Judicial Process in General.

And Now, you want to advocate Corporal Punishment?

Besides, I dont know how you can argue prisoners need more punishment. Theyve already been banned from playing dungeons and dragons~! :rolleyes:

"punishment is a fundamental aspect of imprisonment"

• Advertisement

OP, have you ever spent any time in Singapore? I have and I wouldn't be so quick to recommend what you're suggesting. Its different for foreigners (westerners), but for nationals there are some serious issues with their justice system.. (The double setup being common in Asia)
    No, I like safe places like Vienna. Where I lived for a year and where I never heard of anything bad happening. Over there they have this idea that if they raise their children to respect laws, to respect people it would have some bearing in the future. They don't need to live in fear of "the whip". The way this nation thinks is appalling, "Sure I can get away with that". "Sure he's a cute hoor, fair play to them". Sure it's worse at the top and people will only do what they see ahead of them but really it starts at education and the family.

And it doesn't need to be enforced by barbarity neither.

Ahh, but thats the rub though. Modern society/family is doing a piss poor job of training children/teens to be more responsible/sensible.. Definitely not all families, but there is a rather large segment of teens in Ireland which could do with being "disciplined" more often..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I dont know about corporal punishment, but in general I think punishments in Ireland are waaaaay too lenient. The juctice system is outdated and needs a major overhaul. Punishments should fit the crime, and criminals with mental issues should be treated as such. There should be zero tolerence with drugs and sex crime, and capital punishment should be an option across the board, even if automatic reduction to "natural life" is enforced.

The whole law industry is creaming it due to the inefficiency of Irish law. The law should be straightforward enough that nobody needs solicitors. eg Anybody should be able to buy a house and do the paperwork themselves.

There are still laws in place from British rule, I like many others, were surprised to find out that laws were not started afresh when the free state came into being. They should do that now, and keep it dead simple. Just start a document called "The law of Ireland". Page 1 - Do good, dont do bad. Page 2 - Bad means killing, stealing.... etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

If we were to live in a society where law was privatized justice would be swift and harsh. I see nothing wrong with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

This is a rather an emotive way to end your statement !

I do occassionally think that way but the mood passes especially when i se the behvaiour of those in the different bastions of power in this country.
    If it is to be introduced, I suggest we begin with errant polticans and then move on to white collar crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

so were Stalin and Mao and Castro :D

i aint a bleeding heart leftie, but i still dont agree with above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd be all on for execution for those who commit armed robbery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Can one be a ' Bleeding heart right winger' ?
    Well yes, I think so - notice today how IT Columnist Sarah Carey devoted her column to attacking those who have so unfairly, according to her, criticised Denis O Brien. And of course the Sunday Independent is beginning to act as an Agony Aunt to all those poor mega Developers who are finding themselves, at least their Corporate entities, down on their luck and having to find safe haven abroad !
    Sympathy and compassion are the order of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Is that your usual invitation to a sensible measured debate?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Will he ever grow out of this ultra-libertarian phase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Will he ever grow out of this ultra-libertarian phase?

its giving us a bad name :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

It is interesting how such punishments could effect the outcome of criminal behaviour. Imagine a scenario where a man robs a bank and the silent alarm goes off. Later, as he makes his way out with the loot, he finds that he is surrounded. Panicking, he chooses to lock the doors, and keep the hostages as collateral.

In Austria... the man weighes up his options. If I give myself up, I get sent to jail. There is no death penalty in this country.

In Slusktovia... the man weighes up his options. If I give myself up, I will probably be executed, as there are no bleeding heart lefties to fight for my right to live.

Which one is more likely to kill the hostages? Who has nothing to lose?

You may be naive to think that the death penalty is enough to deter such acts. You are wrong. People break the law all the time in Saudi Arabia. They know the final outcome. Punishing people for breaking the law doesn't not solve everything. It can be counter-productive. It can go too far. It often fails to address the root causes. It often contributes to the root causes. Stop thinking with such monocausal logic. Life is more complex than that.

Advertisement