Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Sausages

Options
  • 27-01-2010 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hello, this a first posting on boards.ie for me, hope I'm in the right place. I'm working in a Muslim country, where pork is forbidden. In an effort to at least get a taste of home I am looking for a butcher/store that sells beef sausages. Can anyone help? Preferred location would be Kilkenny/Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They're rather rare here, but popular in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hello, Can anyone help? Preferred location would be Kilkenny/Waterford.

That's a long way to travel from the edge of the desert to get a beef sausage. Best to have some pork on ya fork while your in Kilkenny/Waterford pickin upthe beef ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Granby food baseds in Dublin and supply most large retailers on the east coast do a beef sausage if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I know it's not what you asked for :o but you could try veggie sausages.
    Health food stores do them in a dried mix you add water to and shape.
    Might be easier for transporting them back.
    I usually go for frozen ones so can't say how the dried packs taste

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm pretty certain M&S do them

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

our local butcher doesnt stock but he orders them in for us.

have you tried asking your local butcher?

you might get a better response to this in the food and drink forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=610

or the Kilkenny/Waterford forums

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have you tried the country you're in, just in case? I know people living in Qatar who said there are plenty of other different types of sausages on sale due to the restriction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

are you looking to have someone post these beef sausages to you? afaik this is illegal in most countries and if caught you could be liable to hefty fines or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

Thanks to everyone who has posted replies. I have tried my local butcher who buys in his sausages and his supplier is not allowed to make beef due to cross contamination. I'll look into the veggie type. I've tried my local M&S without success. There are sausages here but not too appetising looking, it's not a country as developed as the Middle East. I'm not looking for them to be posted out to me, but I can bring them in without breaking any local laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

If my memory serves me correctly, M&S in teh Jervis centre have both beef and venison sausages as part of their 'Buy 2 for €6' fancy sausage range.

Also, Whelan's Butcher on Parnell St does Boerwors (sp?) that I am fairly sure are beef sausage? Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm. Could be worth a look anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks to everyone who has posted replies. I have tried my local butcher who buys in his sausages and his supplier is not allowed to make beef due to cross contamination. I'll look into the veggie type. I've tried my local M&S without success. There are sausages here but not too appetising looking, it's not a country as developed as the Middle East. I'm not looking for them to be posted out to me, but I can bring them in without breaking any local laws.

A great many countries ban the import of raw meat products except through licenced importers as a disease control measure. You'll need to check with the Customs or Dept of Agriculture equivalents where you're resident. They might also require it to be Halal approved.

Advertisement