Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re Rock of Cashel?

Options
  • 27-01-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Hoping to ask your advice please.

I am planning on going to the Rock of Cashel for some photo taking sessions later this week, and I hope to be able to be there for sunrise to get the best light.

I was wondering, does anybody know if there is access to the site early in the morning (7am-ish) or do you need to wait until the site has opened?

Also, I searched for other areas of interest nearby, and Blarney Castle in Cork was suggested as being close by, but friends tell me its a fair drive to Blarney from Cashel. Does anyone know app how long the drive would be to Blarney from Cashel?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stik

Hi,
    You wouldn't be able to get into the actual buildings until 9am but you could go up on the cliffs at any time. This would mean you would get up as far as the walls surrounding the buildings on the Rock, fine if you wanted to take photos of the scenery around but not much good if it was the actual ruins you wanted.
    There's the ruins of Hore Abbey in a field just below the Rock and that site is open at all times. And just to be aware, there's a lot of scaffolding on the Rock at the moment which is a bit of an eyesore.
    Blarney would be a nice distance away, over an hours drive, maybe an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭Archeron

Thanks Stik. I discovered the sacffold when I got there and between that and the rain, I was somewhat thwarted. Just have to back in the summer!

Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement