Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet bowl water level very low

• 27-01-2010 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

One of the toilets in our place empties completely when it's flushed, ie all the water goes down the waste pipe. While it refils a bit after the flush, the wate level is only half what it should be. It's flushing normally but I can't figure why the water level has gone low. I poured a pot full of water into it last night to see if this would fill it up but it went straight down the waste pipe and the level remained low. The other loos in the house which is a bungalow are operating ok with what I'd consider to be a normal level of water in the bowls.

Any ideas why the water level is low?(it's one of those dual flush loos but as I have another one of them that appears to be fine, I don't think this is the reason)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

My guess its to do with the u-bend built into your toilet pan. From the bowl it goes down and then up and then down again and away down the wastepipe. So where the up part is mustn't be as high as it should be. As its low, the water just flows over it. If it were higher, not as much water would leave the bowl. Can't see how this could be fixed other than replacing the pan as it 100% porcelan so can't see how you could raise it without causing another problem. Just a guess btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks for the guess but this loo was fine until the past week, ie the water in the bowl was at a "proper" level. It's only in the past week that the bowl is emptying completely When flushed and only half refilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Another reason could be that there is a blockage in the vent pipe/soil pipe that is creating a vacuum and sucking the water from the bowl. Don't know how you could track this down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,251 ✭✭✭✭km79

first thing i would do is check manholes outside for blockage in sewer pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Another reason could be that there is a blockage in the vent pipe/soil pipe that is creating a vacuum and sucking the water from the bowl. Don't know how you could track this down though.

i would have to agree with the blockage in the soil pipe, as your only having trouble with one toilet,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

As above, sewer pipe in ground could be backing up just after the toilet. After flushing the waste could be creating a mini siphon, drawing trapped water from toilet bowel. If you happen to have a bath located with toilet, bath could also be effected, all depends on where bath waste ends up, sewer / gully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

prosporus dave.i notice you are in the country.if you have a septic tank it possibly could be full.check it out and empty it.i have come across this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Checked all the manholes starting with the one nearest the septic tank which was clear so I worked back to the house and discovered a blockage of loo paper and you know what in the manhole closest to the problematic loo. Cleared this and everything now aok. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement