Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Month long trip to the US, best ways to use cash/credit?

Options
  • 27-01-2010 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Going to the US in mid-June for a month, going to be driving across the country, we've been there before and last time out we took about $500 in cash for the first two or three days we were there, used Visa for restaraunts, petrol, and accomodation, and I used my AIB Banklink and/or Visa to get more cash out of ATMs for smaller purchases etc.

I was going to put my Visa card in credit to the tune of a few thousand as I heard that Visa don't charge for interest on purchases etc while the account is in credit, now I hear that if the card is lost Visa won't cover you for any credit balance, only 'their' money.

The money I would put on the Visa is in a savings account here. So I'm wondering if bringing some cash, using the Visa as normal and paying it off with money from the savings when we get back, and having a bit more in the Banklink account is the best way to go? Don't want to carry too much cash and obviously don't want to be stuck should one/both cards get lost or stolen.

Any other advice/tips on best way to arrange spending money for a long trip to the US?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

A little off topic I think but in some states paying with a credit card covers some of the insurance you need for a car hire?

The extra insurance needed on hire cars can add up quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

InTheTrees wrote: »
    A little off topic I think but in some states paying with a some credit cards covers some of the insurance you need for a car hire?

The extra insurance needed on hire cars can add up quick.

Fixed that for you.

My advice: call your car insurance agent before you travel. Add overseas car rental to your policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anyone with anything on-topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Well any Irish laser or debit card will charge you about 3 or 4 euro each time you use it in an atm. And obviously you can't use it in stores. I'm using MasterCard for the past few months and I'm never charged, unless I take a cash advance through the atm, but if your account is positive it should be fine. I'm assuming its the same for Visa. Do you have banking online? I always use it to put a certain percentage into my account at a time so if anything happens you're not losing too much money!

Hope this answers your question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

If you're only going for a month then surely you wouldn't have to pay interest on your credit card if you pay it off straight away when you come home anyway?

The cheapest way to go is to use your credit card, it's much cheaper than using cash, i.e. you always get the best exchange rate with a card which can make a fair difference if you're talking about spending a couple of thousand.

Taking cash out from an ATM is expensive, and taking cash out of an ATM with your credit card is VERY expensive.
    So I'm wondering if bringing some cash, using the Visa as normal and paying it off with money from the savings when we get back, and having a bit more in the Banklink account is the best way to go?

I'd say yes, that sounds like the most sensible and straightforward approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Can you use debit cards? I was planning on just using my debit card to take $150 on the first day and take out more if needed as time went on. I don't have a credit card so would be happy to pay $3 or 4 a pop if it saved me from having to go through the exchange bureaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

US debit cards usually come as VISA or Mastercard so as long as its got one of those symbols you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

If it's Maestro it'll work in a ATM for sure, most Irish Debit cards aren't Visa or Mastercard though, I can't remember if I could use my Laser here as a Debit card, but it definitely works in most ATM's.

Advertisement