Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Peaks Challenge

Options
  • 27-01-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Jus to see if anyone on here has done the 4 peaks challenge and if so, how you found it.

I had considered doing it last year but never got round to it at the time. Something I might do at some stage in the future but probably only after I have climbed each summit individually without any of the inherent time constraints etc. that comes with such a challenge..

I see that it is now mandatory for at least one member of each team to attend a training and safety day prior to the event. I suppose the main issue I would have with the event would be inexperienced people taking on the challenge. I've read a few stories of groups tackling Carrauntoohil and Mweelrea without maps etc. in preparation for the event and getting into difficulties.

Other than that, looks like a good weekend of fun - albeit very tough going..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aspender

Did it last year.

It isn't that tough. If you are not on your death bed you will make it. It is just a matter of how quickly. I did nowhere near as much training as I intended to and managed it fine.

However, if you do it, try to form a team of reasonably similar fitness/experience/ability as if not you'll have people who steam ahead and you won't really do it as a team. Our team had this problem. I'll freely admit I was one of the slower ones and climbed at my own pace. Some members of my team were closer to being mountain goats than humans and (understandably) didn't wait around. By the end of the weekend I wasn't really feeling the whole sense of team that I'd hoped for and was just glad to head home.

I'd also say don't all four climbs beforehand. If I'd done them before then I may have found it easier, but also much more boring. There's much more sense of accomplishment if you've not been up them all before. What's more, you'll be waking up on Sunday at stupid o'clock and know exactly what you've got to suffer to get up that final steep ascent on Slieve Donard!

In terms of preparation, you do need to send one person to the map reading day. Last year it rained heavily all day and the guy that went from our team didn't have much fun! However, I can certainly say that no map reading or navigation skills were needed by us at all. It was more akin to being in a huge herd of sheep heading up and down each hill. Of course, weather conditions may not be so good so it is necessary to have the skills and the equipment in case. There are lots of checkpoints and helpers out on the hills as well though.

Perhaps the biggest challenge of all is the logistical one. Having transport and non-climbing drivers is the biggest challenge (you must have two non-climbing drivers per vehicle) Raising the money is also harder work than the actual weekend.

All in all, I'm glad I did it, but it's ticked off the list and I don't really feel the need to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I was asked to be a part of a team for this years event and was really excited about it until i realised it clashed with my leaving cert.:(
    Sounds like a great challenge, would love to do it next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭gizmo73

Did it two summers ago. Overall had a great weekend. Its like anything, what you make of it yourself.
    The thing i found hardest of all was raising the money. we went for a small team of 3 walkers so found it tough to raise cash.
    i`m not sure if i`d agree with previous reply about not walking not walking them beforehand. I would say i have experience in hill walking and i did do all peaks beforehand, and was glad of it. but look, everyone to their own- what suits for one is the opposite for another.
    on the walkers, make sure ye have similar enough fitness level, and that ye have all walked together beforehand. I seen too many teams scattered across the hills and i felt sorry for the slower walkers, it can make for long weeknd if people don`t use teamwork. Its all about having a good time too. Our team went out hard and finished in top 3 but we made sure we had a laugh too and mingled well.
    the challenge itself is by no means very hard(if you have any level of fitness). The last day being the hardest with the early start and all that.
    if you have any questions pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,704 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Doing it this year, in training at the moment and looking forward to it! Agree about the fundraising side of things being difficult, luckily we have 7 people to split it between.

Quick question too, Im in college during the week and work the weekends so does anybody have any fundraising ideas that I could do in fairly easily with that time constraint? I have two weeks off coming up so I hope to get the bulk of it done then

ColHol wrote: »
    fundraising ideas that I could do in fairly easily with that time constraint?

Pub quizzes are a good way to get lots of money from one night.
    Depending on how generous your neighbours are you could just try calling around and asking for sponsorship!:)

• Advertisement

Anyone on here end up doing the Four Peaks Challenge this year? How was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

keenan110 wrote: »
    Anyone on here end up doing the Four Peaks Challenge this year? How was it?

Didn't do it but believe that there is another one scheduled for later in the year..

Advertisement