Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady goes to Limerick

• 27-01-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

New log, new goals, new programme :)

It's about time I set out where I'm at and where I want to be. I've completed three 10k races in my lifetime and one 10 mile race. My best times are 10k - 67 minutes and 10 miles - 101 minutes. Slow, I know, so I'm going to aim to improve these.

My big goal for the first half of this year is the Limerick Half Marathon on May 2nd. There, I've said it, no going back now! :D I'm going to start from scratch and follow Hal Higdon's Novice Half Marathon programme. As part of my training I'll do the Dungarvan 10k on February 28th. I'm hoping to find another 10k between then and May too. The training programme is 12 weeks long so I've added an extra 2 weeks and will start this week.

So here goes...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Great stuff luvlylady - good luck with the log and the training.

There's the Adare 10k on March 7th and the Plassey 10k on April 10th if they're any use to you. Happy running :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck with the new log luvlylady! You've plenty of goals to keep you focused! Happy training ;)

You mention getting a couple of 10K's in before half - if it's of any help, the past couple of years Splashworld in Tramore have had a 10K run around the start of April. Would be a nice one to do, and right on your doorstep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Thanks guys. I've just realised I can't do the Dungarvan 10k in February so I'll be looking for something else around that time. I'll keep my eye out in the local press for the Splashworld one, it sounds good. :)

Wednesday (27/01) - 3.1 comfortable miles to kick things off!

Thursday(28/01) - 4 miles in Winter League.

About the same time as usual, and way faster than last week when I was still carrying Christmas around with me!

The injury I carried towards the end of last year is back with a bang. It's no longer just my upper thigh, it's now the inside of my shin on the same leg and what feels like my hip clicking on that side too. I limped back to the car. I took my first (and probably last) ever ice bath when I got home and then sat with an ice pack for the night. Going to call the physio today. I'm beginning to wonder if my runners might be the cause. I got them last July and started building up my mileage in September and October, which is when I got the injury. When I used run a couple of years ago (in different runners with no supports) I never got injured. These runners have arch supports, could it be that I don't need them in my left runner? I hope it's something as simple as that. I'm resting up today.

• Advertisement

Really sorry to read your injury is back luvlylady. I hope the physio can sort you out, it must be painful and frustrating.

Re. your runners - when you are back 100%, you should go to Alfie Hales for a gait anaylasis and they will fit you with suitable runners.

RubyK wrote: »
    Re. your runners - when you are back 100%, you should go to Alfie Hales for a gait anaylasis and they will fit you with suitable runners.

That's where I got the ones I'm currently wearing. They recommended arch supports.

luvlylady wrote: »
    That's where I got the ones I'm currently wearing. They recommended arch supports.

Ah, well that's no help to you so :o

I'm sure the physio will sort you out though. It sounds pretty painful! Matties Hill must have been torture for you.

Look after yourself, and best of luck with the physio.

RubyK wrote: »
    Ah, well that's no help to you so :o

I'm sure the physio will sort you out though. It sounds pretty painful! Matties Hill must have been torture for you.

Look after yourself, and best of luck with the physio.

Thanks RubyK. The surprising thing is that it's only a little painful while I'm actually running, it's when I stop that the real pain kicks in. Although I could feel it getting progressively worse on the second lap. Hopefully it will be easy to fix.

Physio appointment on Saturday to try sort out the leg. He doesn't think it's my runners that's causing the injury/pain. He also doesn't think that the soreness is my calf muscle is linked the other pain in the same leg. It might just be coincidence and the same problem was only waiting to happen with the other calf too, they were both really tight. Apparently I don't look after myself properly :o

He sorted the calves with his hands and tried dry needling and acupuncture on the thigh/hip area. I'm really badly bruised after it all and need to rest for a few days so don't know if it has worked yet. I can use the cross trainer tomorrow but need to make my arms do most of the work. I hope to be running by the end of the week, fingers crossed pain free :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday (02/02) - crosstrainer at the gym as per the physio. Didn't feel any pain in the thigh and the calf is a little tender but not too bad. Waiting to hear back from the physio about what I can do next or when I can run. Itching to get out :D

Tried to start back running this week but no joy :( I can only do 2 miles before my hip acts up. Physio wants me to get x-rayed next.

I hate not being able to do anything. Went along to the winter league last night and just did one lap, 2 miles, because it was the last night. Going to take a spin on the bike at the weekend and see how that affects me. It might fill the gap while I'm waiting to get sorted and back running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck with getting the hip sorted luvlylady. Being injured is SO frustrating, trust me I totally understand. Its a great idea to do other types of activities as long as you can, it will keep you sane as well as fit.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Its a great idea to do other types of activities as long as you can, it will keep you sane as well as fit.

I need to try keep active, ordering my wedding dress in a few weeks so the last thing I need is to be sitting at home in the evenings nibbling away through boredom! In fact, I'm off over to the Lent thread to put in writing what I need to steer clear of for the new few weeks :D

Oh congrats- I had my first fitting two weeks ago, was so thrilled to see the dress fit me I went on a week long eating binge! When is the big day?

Oh congrats- I had my first fitting two weeks ago, was so thrilled to see the dress fit me I went on a week long eating binge! When is the big day?

That's something like I'd do :D The big day is in December, so I've ages to wait :mad: How about yourself? You must be getting close if you're having fittings?

Ours is on 20th April. This time 9 weeks we will be on the plane to Las Vegas. Woohoo!

That's fantastic, I'm not a bit jealous ;)

Best of luck with your preparations. It's a very exciting time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Ours is on 20th April. This time 9 weeks we will be on the plane to Las Vegas. Woohoo!

That's my birthday! :pac:

Advertisement