Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCSET question

Options
  • 27-01-2010 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

If you do better in class placing in 4th year than 3rd year, is it a good idea to take a year out working or whatever, then apply for IRCSET with your final results?
    There is one funded postgrad I am interested in and have a good chance with, but if that fails I will need IRCSET for any of the other projects I like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭a_l_a_n

rantyface wrote: »
    If you do better in class placing in 4th year than 3rd year, is it a good idea to take a year out working or whatever, then apply for IRCSET with your final results?
    There is one funded postgrad I am interested in and have a good chance with, but if that fails I will need IRCSET for any of the other projects I like.

I don't understand the question (which doesn't bode well IMO). Perhaps the college system has changed since I left sometime ago, but I don't see the relevance of you performing better in 4th year than you did in 3rd year ... Why would this make you think you should hold off for a year?

I was an IRCSET scholar. The most imprtant thing in my opinion is your proposal. If you write a clear and interesting proposal which reads well you've got a good chance. Its shocking how poorly most people compose. Demonstrate a flair for the language and you will differentiate yourself. So agonoise over every sentence and every word is what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Markjsca1

Apply now regardless. If you don't get IRCSET this year or your other course, then you can re-apply to IRCSET next year (the first application doesn't affect your submission in any way).

Buying a Tesla? Get free credits using my referral link https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/mark65212

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I can't remember the exact numbers, should be available on IRCSET website.

But I thinks its only 10% is based of grades, the majority is on personal statment and references, and a small bit on project proposal also.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I
    But I thinks its only 10% is based of grades, the majority is on personal statment and references, and a small bit on project proposal also.

In my day (3 years ago) academic results, personal statement and referees werre worth 30% EACH and the proposal was only worth 10%. I'm pretty sure this is still the case.

Anyway you might as well apply for it this year anyway, just incase. You never know and all that! If you do get it and don't need it you can always refuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lumpwood

Applied for this last year. Just to get it straight, the breakdown is 30% academic achievement, 30% personnal statement, 30% references, 10% project proposal. Academic achievement is a major part of the application and your place in the class will have a major bearing on this. Anyone I know who got it was top of their class for 3rd and 4th year. Since there's only one round this year it makes things a bit different since you'll just have to guess where you'll be in class (I'd 'guess' first if I were you).

Like its been said though, there's no harm in applying this year anyways, you'll get the results in March/April so plenty of time for applying Masters if you don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

a_l_a_n wrote: »
    I don't see the relevance of you performing better in 4th year than you did in 3rd year ... Why would this make you think you should hold off for a year?

I was an IRCSET scholar. The most imprtant thing in my opinion is your proposal.

The proposal is by far the least important part of the application, it is only worth 10%.
    Academic performance is worth 30%. I will be applying with my 3rd year results, and as there is no second round this year, my final results will not be considered, even though they are far better than last year's.
    Sorry for being unclear and writing informally in an internet forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Rantyface and lumpwood are both right in what they are advising. I applied last year having completed a masters, 3 years work experience and a 1.1 in a BSc under my belt and was still unsuccessful (Ircset scoring me with the least marks for my academic record). I would recommend perking up your personal statement as best you can, mention any volunteer work, awards, extra curricular work you have done to make you stand out from the rest. Also carefully pick your references, make sure they can back up how hard working and dedicated you are to your research. Even though the project is marked at 10% it is something you are going to be exploring for the next 3/4 years so make sure its something that interests you. You may have a research office in your college and they should be willing to be help with your personal statement etc. Best of luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 racheltbn

i applied for ircset and i gave them my xmas results and said that they will reflect my final year results, i got a 1.1. since they accept in april they obviosly cant weigh it all on the final result, as long as they know your consistant and will prob get the 1.1

Advertisement