Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway port for 2012 Volvo Ocean Race?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Shanley wrote: »
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/11024-government-commits-4-million-euro-galway-volvo-race-bid

Things seem to be looking a bit better for us! Not all the money but by the sounds of it enough to secure it!

Brilliant. Hopefully we'll get it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Shanley wrote: »
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/11024-government-commits-4-million-euro-galway-volvo-race-bid

Things seem to be looking a bit better for us! Not all the money but by the sounds of it enough to secure it!

Sounds like Cullen is going to refrain from using the helicopter for a while:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Pitty they wouldn't advertise the Round Ireland Powerboat Race 2010 a little better, rather than harping on about something that 'might' happen in 2011. The 2010 event has potential to generate worthy revenue for our city (and country, with potential international interest), yet the only thing that our clown-college of a Government seem to be infatuated with is anything to do with the word VOLVO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

The route for the 2011-12 race is now set and the first port of call will be Cape Town, South Africa, making its eighth appearance as a host.

This marks the beginning of the port announcement process with the rest of the course due to be revealed before the end of March.

"We have received port bids from many different cities, each with their own cultures, specialities and challenges," said CEO Knut Frostad. "We have taken our time to evaluate carefully over 80 bids from ports around the world who wanted to host the event, before making our decisions.

The European ports of call for the Volvo Ocean Race in 2012, including the finish port will be the next to be announced and the entire route is set to be revealed before the end of March.
    - link

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Its been announced that Lisbon will be one of the only 2 European ports to host the 2011/2012 Volvo Ocean Race.

Looks like its game over for Galway :(

Gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.sailing.org/31885.php
    After a fierce bidding process, Lisbon has been chosen as the first of the European ports for the Volvo Ocean Race, starting from Alicante in the autumn of 2011.
    Lisbon, located in the west of Portugal, at the point where the river Tagus flows into the Atlantic Ocean, will be the finish of the transatlantic leg of the race during the summer of 2012.

It will be the first time that this historic Portuguese port has played a part in the world’s premier ocean race.

Interest in hosting the Volvo Ocean Race in Europe was received from 34 cities, 15 of which went through to the final phase of the bidding process. This clearly underlines the enormous interest the race generates and makes Europe by far the most competitive continent in the selection procedure.

“It is great to have such an iconic city included in our list of stopovers and Lisbon, especially, has wonderful sailing conditions, which will make for a very exciting in-port race,” said Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad. “Lisbon is a delightful city with much to offer the Volvo Ocean Race and this will be a stopover to look forward to after the rigours of the transatlantic leg,” he added.

“Portugal is a country of navigators that opened the world to new horizons and its capital, Lisbon, was the starting point for the fabulous saga of the Discoveries. A city with such grand nautical tradition had to be associated with the biggest transoceanic adventure of modern times and it is with utmost honour and pride that we are now a part of the Volvo Ocean Race’s global itinerary,” said António Costa, Mayor of the City of Lisbon.

The next European port will be announced on Wednesday 3 March.
    Not likely it's Galway but fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I thought it was Galway OR Lisbon OR Lorient, and with Lisbon getting it we are out of the game?

The 2nd European stop is the finish port, I dont think we were ever 'in' for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

thank you Fianna Fail for supporting this!!

buzz55 wrote: »
    The 2nd European stop is the finish port, I dont think we were ever 'in' for that?
    Thanks for correcting that, goes to show how much I know about sailing...

skelliser wrote: »
    thank you Fianna Fail for supporting this!!
    Not an FF fan but how is it their fault?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

From VOR press release:

“Whilst the route in not confirmed, I can say that the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 will start and finish in Europe, should have two or three less stopovers compared to the current race, and the total time for the race should be about one month shorter.”

So Alicante to start, Lisbon for the end of the atlantic crossing and one more to finish... I suppose it's too much to hope that Galway could get the nod... Even though they did seem to be rather impressed by the reaction and reception last time around... Ah well, hopefully there will be other great maritime events to look forward to, including those lined up for later this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

From Telegraph.co.uk:

Volvo Ocean Race set for Lisbon stopover
    Lisbon has been selected as a stopover for the next Volvo Ocean Race starting in 2011.

By Kate Laven
    Published: 3:01PM GMT 01 Mar 2010

The Portuguese port will host the fleet at the end of its transatlantic leg, which is rumoured to start in Newport, Rhode Island and represents a brand new development for the race which has always previously stopped on the south coast of Britain or Ireland before the final legs in northern Europe and Scandinavia.

Organisers are releasing details of the 2011-2012 course in stages with the first leg from Alicante in Spain to Cape Town unveiled last week and another leg due to be announced on Wednesday. Representatives of Galway, which hosted a highly successful stopover during the last race, may still be in contention depending on how the next race is routed in northern Europe before finishing in Alicante.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

So Lorient were announced today as the 2nd stop over....the final stop will be announced on the 9th as far as i know...fingers crossed but dont look good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

By the look of this article we're still in with a good shout!

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/last-stop-galway/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Here's hoping.

Would be madness if they didn't give us a stop over, if it is so lifeless everywhere else :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Predalien wrote: »
    I really don't see how the government could be expected to provide the money for event in the current climate, the figures boasting what these events are worth are always exaggerated and priorities have to lie elsewhere at the moment.
    Aye, they would be much better pouring it with the rest of the billions into the bankers' black holes, rather than providing some seed funding for an event which provides much needed economic stimulus for the region (not to mention the fact that they would be very likely to get their money back and probably more though VAT receipts etc.)
    Magnus wrote: »
    Global warming will sort that part out.
    My knee tells me it'll be a scorcher of a summer.
    It better be, otherwise your knee gets it!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Don't think we're going to get another one, i think what's now being proposed is since we're twinned with L'Orient anyway to have some sort of race or brief stopover 2/3 days as part of that leg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Front page of the advertiser this morning

www.advertiser.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

To get the last stop would be BRILLIANT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

oh wow, that would be fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0308/1224265795524.html

TAOISEACH Brian Cowen is expected to confirm this week that the next Volvo around the world yacht race will finish in Galway in 2012. Mr Cowen is expected to make the announcement in Dublin, when he will explain that the race festival will be an “all-island” affair.

The international fleet berthing in Galway will earn double points for a circumnavigation of Ireland after their global transit. The Volvo 70 racing yachts will then return to Galway for a final weekend of festivities.

The international yacht race generated almost €60 million in revenue when it stopped in Ireland for the first time last year, attracting some 650,000 people to Galway.

As a result, it is expected that Volvo’s extensive corporate element, which avoided the west of Ireland during the 2009 stopover, will participate in the 2012 finish.

Three European ports – Alicante in Spain, Lisbon in Portugal and Lorient in France – have already been selected for the 2011-2012 route.

It is expected that the race will stop in China and the US, while South Africa’s Capetown has already been confirmed as a host port.

Up to 12 yachts may compete, including Ireland’s Green Dragon, and the fleet will sail its final leg to Galway from Lorient, which secured the transatlantic stopover.

The Government has pledged €4 million towards the bid – half of the amount granted last time – but there will be no boat-building costs this time.

The Green Dragon will be given a new keel, its sails will also be modified, and all this work will be carried out in Ireland, John Killeen of Let’s Do It Galway has confirmed.

Id say its a safe bet at this stage, looks like the OP might as well change the title of this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I have never been so proud of my home town as i was during the 2 weeks last time. Galway really was special. Can't wait for 2012 now woo hoo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Brilliant! This has genuinely made my day. :D

On a fine sunny day, there's no better place in the world than taking a stroll down Prospect Hill and into Eyre Square ... the Tribal atmosphere hits you square in the face ... down along Shop Street, you bump into friends, say hello to the neighbour, stop and listen to the busker or puppet show, disagree with the new age christens warning of doom and gloom in afghanistan, and off down Quay Street, where the City really sucks you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's amazing what a small town of 70000 people can achieve. Galways going to be chaotic if we win but I suppose Galways well used to that.

It's a real pity there isn't better infrastructure that would allow the tourist to commute into Galway easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I Hope he insists they bring the weather WITH them like they did last time...and the Red Arrows too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

That's fantastic news. Fair play to all involved in the negotiations. The last VOR was a truely magical moment for Galway, and I can't wait until the next one.

I have no issue with changing the thread title as suggested above, but I'm not able to edit it - perhaps one of the Mods could do this.

• Advertisement

Title change
    Galway's bid to host 2012 Volvo Ocean Race under threat
    to
    Galway port for 2012 Volvo Ocean Race?

Once Cowen, or someone, can reliably confirm we got it this thread will be closed for historical reasons, as suggested by OP.

Advertisement