Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway port for 2012 Volvo Ocean Race?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I'm not usually one to like being wrong, but this time I dont mind at all!

Am totally delighted that it really is looking good for tomorrow's announcement - the VOR in Galway last year was THE best thing I've seen since moving to Galway almost 15 years ago.

I'll have fingers, toes and everything else crossed that we get the finish, it would be brilliant.

Well done to John Killeen & Lets do it Galway who appear never to have given up even though it looked like a definite no no a few times.

Woop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Cowen will make the announcement on Wednesday, not tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Unbelievably brilliant news... And over two years to prepare for it... This will be MASSIVE for Galway and lots of fun for the rest of the island. With this and the Olympics over in London, 2012 is going to be a very interesting year!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

galwaynews.ie have announced it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks, we'll just wait for Cowen to confirm, not that I doubt galwaynews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

BTH wrote: »
    Unbelievably brilliant news... And over two years to prepare for it... This will be MASSIVE for Galway and lots of fun for the rest of the island. With this and the Olympics over in London, 2012 is going to be a very interesting year!

How long did we have to prepare last year? Cant blooody wait!

This is going to be unreal!!

We will need to do a deal with the devil if necessary for good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

MAGIC !

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

Excellent news. well done Lets do it galway.

lets hope the shower of posers that arsed up the races dont get too involved though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

gerkeo wrote: »

lets hope the shower of posers that arsed up the races dont get too involved though

What? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Great news. Hopefully they get the weather. Part of what made it so great last year was the warm spell we had at the time. Might be a different story if we got some traditional Galway sheets of rain and gale force winds.

Zzippy wrote: »
    What? :confused::confused:

The ocean race was fantastic, i was in and around working at the docks for about 10 of the 14 days, weather were fantastic, pubs were great craic and the general vibe was the best i've seen in years in galway. It reminded me of the galway races 20 years ago. I was really proud to be from Galway.

But the pre "economic bust" Galway races had turned mental with the Expose generation of posers swamping the place driving the prices of everything up and politicians using it as a PR event.

Last year the galway leg of Volvo was almost like a community event albeit on a grand scale where everyone seemed to be involved from Hotels, bars, restaurants, shops and the public all doing their bit to make it fun and real value for money.
    I hope the event retains that feel, the "ceide mile failte" aspect almost, its what worked last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Do you mean the Galway horse races have been arsed up by a shower of posers or that the Galway in-port races were arsed up by a shower of posers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 galway galway

Galway really is great
    Fantastic News
    My kids still rave about it
    All we need is the weather

Thats rubbish in fairness. The races are the best week of the year in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

We will need to do a deal with the devil if necessary for good weather.

Yeah, I was thinking what are the chances of us getting the same weather again. Not a huge chance I would say. Hopefully it will stay dry at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Race week is agreat week in galway, But i find that at night there are a select few group of people think they are the most important people in galway cause they are wearing a suit in a night club. A day in the races is great fun but going around town i dislike it and try to avoid it like the plague.

I thought that the atmosphere of the VOR was fantastic and completley diffrent then the galway races, and i hope it stays that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 galway galway

It's definite I saw one of the city councillors in the shopping centre doing a tv interview for TV3 news earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

I happen to agree about Race Week - it's become like the grown up version of RAG week, a load of eejits losing the run of themselves. I always try to get out of Galway when it comes around. The VOR stopover last year was infinitely better than any Race Week I've ever experienced. It's atmosphere was truly festive instead of edgy and it seemed to attract a much more relaxed and good natured crowd.

I happen to agree about Race Week - it's become like the grown up version of RAG week, a load of eejits losing the run of themselves. I always try to get out of Galway when it comes around.

Each to there own I suppose but I have race week booked off work every year. Even when I was living in the UK for a year I was back for the races. I'm into the racing but I really enjoy the craic around town and I dont really notice any bad stuff tbh.

The VOR nights in town were fantastic but I have to say tues and thursday nights of race week last year were on a par for me and the races are every year thankfully. Cant wait for the VOR again though and drinking in my friends yacht in the docks with the music and crowds was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

This is fantastic news, I am delighted. Last summer was made for me by the Volvo, have such fun and happy memories, and I'm not even a boaty person :)
    Yahoo for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Cant wait for the VOR again though and drinking in my friends yacht in the docks with the music and crowds was brilliant.[/QUOTE]

Go on rub it in :D:D:D

Yea cant wait for it to come back the display at Salthill on the Saturday by the RAF Red Arrows was one thing that I will never forget it was amazing.

I happen to agree about Race Week - it's become like the grown up version of RAG week, a load of eejits losing the run of themselves. I always try to get out of Galway when it comes around. The VOR stopover last year was infinitely better than any Race Week I've ever experienced. It's atmosphere was truly festive instead of edgy and it seemed to attract a much more relaxed and good natured crowd.

Get real
    If the VOR was an annual thing in galway, it wouldnt take too long to going down the race/rag week version

You make the best out of it i say.
    I love race week, ya you have the odd muppet making an ass of himself/herself, but that life, dont blame it on Race Week.
    There isnt a town or city in the world that wouldnt give its right hoof for a race week of their own.

Thats rubbish in fairness. The races are the best week of the year in Galway.

Its a fair assessment i think. The Races used to be a lot better.

lion_bar wrote: »
    Do you mean the Galway horse races have been arsed up by a shower of posers or that the Galway in-port races were arsed up by a shower of posers?

Sorry, i meant Galway horse races

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Magnus wrote: »
    Thanks, we'll just wait for Cowen to confirm, not that I doubt galwaynews.
    He'll probably have to run it by the Greens and the IMF first ...

Seriously, assuming this news is accurate, it's brilliant news for Galway, and well done to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Fantastic news, last time was in my opinion the best ever event in Galway, i think the next time will be even better . Last time was a surprise to a lot of people,can't wait for this.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Delighted with the news, hopefully the city'll do itself as proud as it did last year.

I'll definitely be arranging some holidays to be home for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

According to radio 1 this morning it will be announced at 1pm by Brian Cowen...

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Delighted with the news, hopefully the city'll do itself as proud as it did last year.

I'll definitely be arranging some holidays to be home for this.

Not so bad.
    One down, another 39,999 more to go!

:D

Advertisement