Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway port for 2012 Volvo Ocean Race?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Senator O Brolcháin will confirm ( but only if you ask him ) that a putative Red Arrows display has been completely nixed as a condition of government funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

dilallio wrote: »
    According to today's Galway Indepndent, Galway's 2012 VOR bid is under threat because the Government won't commit to funding €8 Million Euro.

Source

How much money are the Government commiting to Jackie Healy Rae's 42 bed hospital in Kenmare when they already have a hospital in Tralee.

I only wish our local politicians were as influential. The VOR will bring in far more money to Galway than what is costs to host the event.

Oh ye of little faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Great news!!

And just a reminder for the party we have in store again... :)

4422269210_f28d199e65_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Senator O Brolcháin will confirm ( but only if you ask him ) that a putative Red Arrows display has been completely nixed as a condition of government funding.
    :( Is it coz they is red?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

great news on VOR, typical if true on NOB on red arrows issue, the sooner we get rid of this "regime" the better, it was only press pressure that the idiots gave the galway committee money, they actually actively looked at not giving it, now Biffo like Clay Davis in the wire will be sniffing around publicity today with gormless lurking in the background, it would make you sick, but **** it we got the ocean race anyhow:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Fair play to Galway for getting this - it will be truly spectacular.

And a big thanks must go to all the business interests in the city who gave a very fair deal on everything from accomodation to food to drink and entertainment on the previous stopover and here's hoping it will be same again all round.

The money for the Red Arrows is INSTEAD being spent on getting this yoke below, the Planetsolar Solar Boat to do a GREEN ENERGY stopover in Galway, maybe not quite at the same time as the Volvo but thereabouts and there will be lots of Green Energy water events etc etc.

http://www.planetsolar.org/bateau.fr.php

PlanetSolar-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The money for the Red Arrows is INSTEAD being spent on getting this yoke below, the Planetsolar Solar Boat to do a GREEN ENERGY stopover in Galway, maybe not quite at the same time as the Volvo but thereabouts and there will be lots of Green Energy water events etc etc.

http://www.planetsolar.org/bateau.fr.php

PlanetSolar-3.jpg

Hate to be such a d*ck and ask the obvious question, but you are joking.....right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

churchview wrote: »
    Hate to be such a d*ck and ask the obvious question, but you are joking.....right?

Yes, he's joking. Just to clear that up because otherwise it'd be front page headline on one of the papers next week! :pac:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Yes, he's joking. Just to clear that up because otherwise it'd be front page headline on one of the papers next week! :pac:

Thank God! ... but nothing would surprise me with the crap that O'Broccoli and Co. come out with!

• Advertisement

Here is me joking.

"Senator Niall O Brolcháin is looking forward to another wonderful display of aviation skills by the Red Arrrows"

That was a JOKE , OK !!!!!

Green Party = O'Brolchain = Joke

...hence my confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Green Party = O'Brolchain = Joke

...hence my confusion

Quoted for truth...but then again you could include every other politician in that too.

"Let's Do It Galway" should be running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

alibabba wrote: »
    Get real

Oh I'm all about the reality - the reality of waking up (after about an hours sleep because of the shouting and roaring going on outside all night or the numerous knocks/kicks on your door at about 4am) to a pool of piss / vomit or both outside your front door, street covered in broken glass from d**kheads lobbing bottles... I don't think people realize what a nightmare Race and RAG weeks actually are for people living in the city centre. I had the displeasure of being at home in Galway for Race week last year - never again I hope. I love a good night (or week) out as much as anyone but something about Race and RAG weeks seems to bring out the worst in a small element...

On a positive note I can't wait for this official announcement!!

Quoted for truth...but then again you could include every other politician in that too.

"Let's Do It Galway" should be running the country.

Thing is.....with a bit of imagination, they could be.

The Taoiseach has the power to appoint people to the Senate, and he can from there appoint Senators to the cabinet. Why can't he get the likes of John Kileen into the Senate and onto the cabinet?

However, I'm sure Kileen wouldn't waste his time with the shower. Instead he runs a successful business and still finds the time to selflessly give of himself to drive this worldclass event for which we are all grateful.

Just to be clear, I've only met Kileen once (years ago) and I don't know him.

Who gets appointed to the Senate? Not Kileen, not anyone in Let's Do It Galway who've all done so much for us...but O'Brolcháin, who's been roundly rejected as a Councillor and TD. Well done Brain C :rolleyes:

BTH wrote: »
    I love a good night (or week) out as much as anyone but something about Race and RAG weeks seems to bring out the worst in a small element...

It will be a fortnight or 3 weeks, not a week.

The crowd at the VOR was completely different to the race week and rag week riff raff, much more like the Arts Festival crowd.

You could have brought a 10 year old down there at midnight and not worry about what they saw. You would not do that in Quay Street on the Weds or Thurs of Race week. :(

The Arts festival is set to clash with the VOR as it appears right now and it will start in June in 2012 rather than in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

I have travelled to Galway for race week on numerous occasions but never enjoyed my time there like I did at the VOR what a great week

BTH wrote: »
    Oh I'm all about the reality - the reality of waking up (after about an hours sleep because of the shouting and roaring going on outside all night or the numerous knocks/kicks on your door at about 4am) to a pool of piss / vomit or both outside your front door, street covered in broken glass from d**kheads lobbing bottles... I don't think people realize what a nightmare Race and RAG weeks actually are for people living in the city centre. I had the displeasure of being at home in Galway for Race week last year - never again I hope. I love a good night (or week) out as much as anyone but something about Race and RAG weeks seems to bring out the worst in a small element...

On a positive note I can't wait for this official announcement!!

Did you try actually heading into quay street and having the craic rather than sitting at home complaining about noise.

The crowd at the VOR was completely different to the race week and rag week riff raff, much more like the Arts Festival crowd.

You could have brought a 10 year old down there at midnight and not worry about what they saw. You would not do that in Quay Street on the Weds or Thurs of Race week. :(

I dont know where everyone is finding all this trouble race week. I have been on Quay/Cross street Tues, weds, thurs, fridays and saturdays nights of race week for years and never had anything but a fantastic time. I have brought friends for race week and they loved it.

As someone said most places would give their right arm for an event like race week. 7 days of racing and great nights on the streets of town, what more could you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Lets stop knocking our events, you take it all with a pinch of salt, if it werent for the likes of Race Week / Arts Festive and now VOR, Galway would just be another bland TOWN.

Its because of these events that we are the Tribe with the Vibe, loathed across Europe for our unique atmospherical magic that hits the streets festival time.

Lets stop knocking our events, you take it all with a pinch of salt, if it werent for the likes of Race Week / Arts Festive and now VOR, Galway would just be another bland TOWN.

Its because of these events that we are the Tribe with the Vibe, loathed across Europe for our unique atmospherical magic that hits the streets festival time.

Agree completely. I've sometimes founds the Race Week crowd a bit snobby, and prefer the VOR more inclusive vibe, but I've never seen the widespread puking, broken glass etc. that's being talked about here. The Races are more of an adult event (drinking, gambling etc.) where the VOR is more of a family thing.

Now the Grand National at Aintree - that's a bloodbath - I've never seen an event with so many fights (even at the race course!). Irish racers aren't a bad crowd generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Now the Grand National at Aintree - that's a bloodbath - I've never seen an event with so many fights (even at the race course!). Irish racers aren't a bad crowd generally.

Sounds like good craic (!)...I've been meaning to get to Aintree (for the racing not fighting) but won't manage it again this year I'm afraid.

I agree with the previous poster though...these events a worth a fortune to the local economy so regardless of the downside, Galway should be happy to host them.

They are all different festivals with very different crowds and vibes. I only avoid the ones full of Ben Sherman wearing types with their dayglo orange other halves appended.

Look forward to the VOR although I will give this green energy sideshow a miss methinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

They are all different festivals with very different crowds and vibes. I only avoid the ones full of Ben Sherman wearing types with their dayglo orange other halves appended.

Look forward to the VOR although I will give this green energy sideshow a miss methinks :)

People like? ........

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Donie75 wrote: »

Fantastic news ...

Wednesday 10 March 2010, 13:00 GMT
    Galway, which staged a hugely successful stopover in 2008-09, is back on the map again - this time as the finish port for the 2011-12 edition of the Volvo Ocean Race.
    Galway withstood strong opposition from several rival cities in the official port bidding process to earn the right to host not only the finale but also the overall prize-giving ceremony.
    In 2008-09, Galway was the stopover for the end of the transatlantic leg from Boston. This time the fleet will sail from Lorient in France back to the Emerald Isle.
    At today's announcement, Volvo Ocean Race CEO Knut Frostad said that the interest in hosting the event, particularly in Europe, had been "overwhelming". He added that he was delighted the race was returning to Irish shores.
    "I am very proud to confirm Ireland's participation and Galway will be a magnificent port to stage the finish of the event," he said.
    "We have already experienced the enthusiasm that abounds in Ireland for the race and we are looking forward to bringing the competition to its conclusion in a country that really knows how to celebrate."
    At a press conference to mark the occasion, Irish Taoiseach (prime minister) Brian Cowen, said: "The 2009 stopover in Galway made an abiding impression on the sailors, support crews, organisers and media, who were immersed in the warmth of an Irish welcome.
    "Their presence, in turn, had an enormous beneficial impact on Galway, the west of Ireland and indeed the entire country. Their arrival here was spectacular and their visit helped generate a massive 55 million Euros for the regional economy, more than one third higher than the original projections
    "Given its economic benefits and its importance to Irish tourism, I am more than happy to welcome the return of the Volvo Ocean Race to our shores and pledge our support for the event."
    The Galway stopover, in May 2009, was one of the standout successes of the 2008-09 race. A crowd of 30,000 flocked to the dockside for the arrival of the first boats home in the early hours. It set the tone for what was to follow.
    Over 650,000 spectators filed through the race village during the week-long event. The crowd peaked at 62,000 on the in-port race day alone - with the seaside resort of Salthill drawing a further 120,000 visitors.
    Green Dragon, the Irish/Chinese entry, grabbed a podium position by finishing third into its 'home port' at end of an eventful leg 7, triggering wild celebrations. The reception stunned skipper Ian Walker and his crew. Walker's entry was the second Irish boat to contest the event after NCB Ireland in the 1989-90 Whitbread.
    The balance sheet looked healthy as well with the final economic impact figure put at Euros 55.8 million by Deloitte. That was 30% above initial projections.
    Galway completes the list of European cities hosting the 2011-12 race. The remaining ports will be introduced during the remainder of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Brilliant news! I know its 2 years away but.... I can't wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Did you try actually heading into quay street and having the craic rather than sitting at home complaining about noise.

Wow, you're right, I'm clearly just a total saddo for wanting to get a half decent nights sleep and not have to clean up piss and puke from my doorstep... Thanks for showing me the error of my ways...
    :rolleyes:

Agreed that the VOR stopover crowd was completely different, didn't have any bother that fortnight at all...

I am ridiculously excited about this event even though it's over two years away! It's an amazing coup for the city and fair play to all involved in fighting off the likes of Amsterdam and Stockholm to win this event...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Uh oh, I predict another big hangover and spending a lot of money. Fcukit it'll be worth it! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Was at the last one and enjoyed myself immensely, and I'm not easily pleased.

As a former Galway resident, now sadly on the East coast, I believe this is good for Galway and good for Ireland.

I'll see ye there, and f*** the begrudgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

So glad Galway got this, when reading the article and the high regards it had towards galway, made be proud of my home city.

I wounder will much be done towards the race village coming up to the event.

Advertisement