Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway port for 2012 Volvo Ocean Race?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

This is fantastic news, what with the demise of Rally Ireland, I can't wait.

But if it is the end of the race, will there be any inport race? And if there will be no next leg, then will it be all over in a couple of days, instead of 2/3 weeks?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

kierank01 wrote: »
    But if it is the end of the race, will there be any inport race? And if there will be no next leg, then will it be all over in a couple of days, instead of 2/3 weeks?
    I was wondering the same thing myself. It seems to be a slightly different proposition this time out. More of a corporate jolly and celebration than a mini-event. Still looking forward to it immensely and it'll be a great boost to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Apparently, it will be 8 to 10 days in Galway (it will take in two weekends).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 whittey

I believe its due to arrive here from L'Orient in France, then there'll be a round Ireland race as the final leg, starting and finishing in Galway.

Should be a lot more than 2-3 days.

Donie75 wrote: »

Brilliant, Pity we have to wait two years for it!!

Its worth the wait though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

i can take photos from my balcony again :D

no oil tanks to watch being taken down though! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    no oil tanks to watch being taken down though! :P

Aw, that was the best bit! :P

Only joking, it was good to see the oil tanks being removed but it was much better seeing the race village being put together and the huge crowds at the various events.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Donie75 wrote: »
    Great!
    As I said earlier, I'll close this before it gets too chatty so we have it to look back upon in years to come.

Someone can start a new thread if you like to discuss it further.

VOLVO TO GALWAY 2012!

Feck it, I feel I was a bit premature.
    Who's up for pre-boat beers Friday if weather is good?
    Dotted line for the finish line — Cowen pens deal for €80 million race spectacular
    Galway Advertiser, March 11, 2010.
    By Linley Mackenzie

It’s official. As we revealed here on this page last week, Galway is set to host the biggest global party in Irish sailing history.

The finale and the prize-giving ceremony of the next edition of the world’s biggest ocean yacht race is coming to the west of Ireland, putting Galway once again firmly on the Volvo Ocean Race map.

Having staged the most impressive stopover last May, the Volvo Ocean Race committee has rewarded the organisers Let’s Do It Galway with a bigger and better opportunity than last year - to host the finale of this global event and also the overall prize-giving ceremony.

In making the decision to select Galway as the finish port for the 2011/12 event, Volvo has given Galway and its organisers the most positive affirmation of its ability to stage a world-wide event, passing over the company’s traditional Swedish home ports.

The selection comes after several months of intense negotiations between the organisers and the Volvo Ocean Race committee, whose chief executive officer Knut Frostad acknowledged last year that the Galway stopover was a “model” for others to follow.

Yesterday in Dublin, Frostad joined An Taoiseach Brian Cowen, members of Let’s Do It Global, and Failte Ireland, for the official confirmation and contract signing, saying he was delighted the race was returning to Ireland.

"I am very proud to confirm Ireland's participation and Galway will be a magnificent port to stage the finish of the event," he said.

Galway’s reputation as a party city and the incredible Irish reaction to last year’s stopover was a vital factor in its selection over strong opposition from several rival cities. Last year’s race finished in St Petersburg, but many felt it lacked the necessary hype which should surround the end of the world’s most prestigious ocean yacht race.

"We have already experienced the enthusiasm that abounds in Ireland for the race and we are looking forward to bringing the competition to its conclusion in a country that really knows how to celebrate," said Frostrad.

An Taoiseach Brian Cowen, whose government pledged €4 million toward staging the event after an initial refusal, said he was “more than happy” to welcome the race’s return to Ireland "given its economic benefits and its importance to Irish tourism”.

“The 2009 stopover in Galway made an abiding impression on the sailors, support crews, organisers and media, who were immersed in the warmth of an Irish welcome.

"Their presence, in turn, had an enormous beneficial impact on Galway, the west of Ireland, and indeed the entire country. Their arrival here was spectacular and their visit helped generate a massive €55 million for the regional economy - more than one third higher than the original projections.”

One of the key figures in securing the stopover, Enda O’Coineen, said there would be many commercial and marketing opportunities,

“We will be looking to the private sector and individuals to come in behind our global challenge," he said.

This will include the necessary funds to host the event at the Galway docks, which will require upgrading, and he hoped the local councils would row in behind the event again and provide the required commitment.

Fáilte Ireland chairman Redmond O’Donoghue said events such as the Volvo “provide Ireland with the ideal calling card to showcase its two strongest assets – our beautiful coastal landscapes and friendly people”.

“This is a great boost for tourism and Fáilte Ireland is delighted to be once more involved in supporting this event. As we saw last year, this festival certainly had a significant economic impact. Also, significantly, the pictures from Galway which were beamed all around the world strengthened Ireland’s image as a must-visit destination for tourists as well as our reputation for hosting future world class sporting events.”

Last May’s stopover attracted some 30,000 people to the docks for the arrival of the boats from Boston, with more than 650,000 visiting the race village during the two-week festival.

With Portugal and Lorient named earlier, Galway was the final European port to be selected for the 2011/12 edition. The remaining ports will be introduced during the remainder of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Magnus wrote: »
    Dude, don't go round admitting it in public ... >_>

Other than that ... well done to the local people who worked so hard on this, fair play to Volvo, hell, even a small bit of credit to Cowen & Co. for copping on and putting in the necessary seed capital!

Only damn bit of good news I've seen in the media in weeks!!

• Advertisement

Who's up for pre-boat beers Friday if weather is good?
    In Sheridans?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Will any major developments happen now in the docks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Should be great for the local ecomic
    I'll be doing the LC around this time

Mike... wrote: »
    Will any major developments happen now in the docks.

Apparently. There's a piece in the City Tribune today which says Let's Do It Galway want the existing commercial dock gone before 2012 (as per the Harbour Board's plan).
    Race to make Galway first city to emerge from recession
    March 12, 2010 - 7:30am
    Economic boost could amount to €80m
    The Volvo Ocean Race is set to ‘prop’ Galway up as the first city in Ireland to recover from the recession, the local organisers have claimed.

And the local team that secured the Ocean Race finale and awards ceremony are also confident they can raise the balance of the €20 million funding required from overseas investors.

John Killeen, President of Let’s Do It Global said preparations for the “biggest ever grand finale” at Galway Docks in 2012 will send the city well on the way to economic recovery.

Moving the existing commercial docks to a proposed new wharf further out to sea at Galway Port is a key element in the recovery plan.

City Manager Joe MacGrath has already vowed the Council’s support to the organisers. And Fianna Fáil’s Mike Crowe – a party whip in the ‘controlling pact’ members on the Council – has also pledged support, along with Mayor Declan McDonnell.

Mr Killeen told the Galway City Tribune: “The dream is to move the commercial dock out. The Harbour Company already has a plan to develop the new Galway Port, and that is part of the plan.

“The new pier and wharf could easily be built on time. It’s a very real possibility, and it is one of the legacies that the Ocean Race could leave Galway ... a new city centre.

“When we wanted the oil tanks moved last time, that was a dream too, and we did it. That was nearly as big a project as moving the commercial dock would be, so it is possible.

“If Galway people get behind the project, we will be the first city in Ireland out of recession,” said Mr Killeen.

City Manager Joe MacGrath said: “We look forward to continuing to work closely with them and with the Volvo Ocean Race in preparing the city. This is a tremendous vote of confidence in the city of Galway and Galway City Council is committed to continuing to work with everyone to ensure that 2012 will more than equal 2009 with a spectacular finish to the race.”

For more on this story, see Pages 3 & 4 of the Galway City Tribune

No link on the website, but there's another story inside the paper with mind-boggling figures: 600,000 individual visitors to the Race Village; 50,000 corporate guests; more than a million 'visits' to the village and a tent for 5,000 people at the awards ceremony.

If we get the weather ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

wishful thinking im afraid, who is going to cough up the big bucks to pay for this ?

The City Council cant even find money to repair pot holes at the moment.

alibabba wrote: »
    wishful thinking im afraid, who is going to cough up the big bucks to pay for this ?

The City Council cant even find money to repair pot holes at the moment.

What? It's got zero to do with the Council. The Galway Harbour Company (the State) owns the land. The entire Galway Port plan will cost €200m. Creating the new dock further out to sea is a tiny portion of that budget.

The money will come through international investment. Already, six major internationals investors have expressed an interest in comin on board.

The plans will go straight to An Bord Pleanala, by-passing the Council, before being "referred" back to the Council for their submissions. Which the Board can disregard/take on board.

Council funding doesn't come into it.

In Sheridans?
    Sure why not? Unless the weather turns.
    Looks promising though.

Edit, I'm out - got to go away.
    Next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Looks promising though.

You've got two year forecasts?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

soundbyte wrote: »
    What? It's got zero to do with the Council. The Galway Harbour Company (the State) owns the land. The entire Galway Port plan will cost €200m. Creating the new dock further out to sea is a tiny portion of that budget.

The money will come through international investment. Already, six major internationals investors have expressed an interest in comin on board.

The plans will go straight to An Bord Pleanala, by-passing the Council, before being "referred" back to the Council for their submissions. Which the Board can disregard/take on board.

Council funding doesn't come into it.

When I mentioned city council, this was with ref to their funds, ie the Government. Galway will be hard pressed to get any funds from them for the development of the Port. (It nearly killed them to promise the 4 mill) It would be mighty to see these international investors coming on board, but they wont cough up ALL of the money ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It's been bugging me that as the end port for the race, there's no reason for a 2-week stopover style event like the last time. So I had a look at the details for St. Petersburg who had the finishing port last time;

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/race2008-09/ports/stpetersburg/

The event only lasted just over THREE days. :(

25th June 2009
    1800hrs Race village official opening ceremony

26th June 2009
    1000hrs Race village is open
    2000hrs-2300hrs City celebrations. An evening party in the Race Village

27th June 2009
    0900hrs – 2300hrs Race village open
    Expected yacht arrivals
    1800hrs – 1830hrs (Timings TBC) Leg 10 Prize Giving Ceremony
    2000hrs – 2300hrs Open air party ‘Welcome to St Petersburg’, with host DJ’s, live bands and fireworks

28th June 2009
    0900hrs - Race village open
    1200hrs – 1330hrs The overall Prize Giving Ceremony for the Volvo Ocean Race
    2000hrs - Closing Ceremony

• Advertisement

foto joe wrote: »
    It's been bugging me that as the end port for the race, there's no reason for a 2-week stopover style event like the last time. So I had a look at the details for St. Petersburg who had the finishing port last time;

25th June 2009

26th June 2009

27th June 2009
    Expected yacht arrivals
    2000hrs – 2300hrs Open air party ‘Welcome to St Petersburg’, with host DJ’s, live bands and fireworks

28th June 2009

Well as far as I know they will stop in Galway, then head off around Ireland and back to Galway again so Id imagine it should take in two weekends anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

25th June 2009

26th June 2009

27th June 2009
    Expected yacht arrivals

28th June 2009
    This is Ireland, and more to the point Galway. We'll drag as long of a party as we can out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Well as far as I know they will stop in Galway, then head off around Ireland and back to Galway again so Id imagine it should take in two weekends anyway.

Ya I remember hearing that it will be over two weekends too. We just don't know when to go home in Ireland so will last a couple of weeks anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's been bugging me that as the end port for the race, there's no reason for a 2-week stopover style event like the last time. So I had a look at the details for St. Petersburg who had the finishing port last time ...
    Yeah, but don't you think that's a lot of the reason why they were so disappointed with St. Petersburg, and opted to come instead to the place that gave them a party last time?

Plus a lot of people seem to think that a circuit of Ireland will be involved (I don't have any insider info tbh).

And even without, it's the end of the race, last thing they will want to do is have a glass of champagne, go "yay us!" and set sail again. I have a feeling that the organisers know what they're doing ... their track record to date is pretty good certainly.

Is the plan to come to Galway then have a race around Ireland after? I thought the leg from France included the trip around Ireland.... I've been wrong before though, back in '93 I think it was.

It's been bugging me that as the end port for the race, there's no reason for a 2-week stopover style event like the last time.

Excuse the caps, but how many times does it need to be posted: THE GALWAY FINALE WILL BE 8-10 DAYS TAKING IN TWO WEEKENDS.

Settle down! :p

Where are you quoting this from though?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Settle down! :p

Where are you quoting this from though?

I read it in the Tribune anyway...

Advertisement