Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spent cases

Options
  • 27-01-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭

A quick question for all of you in the know.
    Assuming it's okay to own spent cases - I believe there's a precedent for that - could you fill the cases with resin/oil and put new heads on the cases to make inert rounds or would this still fall under the manufacture of ammunition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Serious question, I'm pretty sure I remember someone being done for having a 'bullet board'. Any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 r3nm0r3RASCAL

I really doubt that this is illegal! Don't take my word though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

there was someone up in court before for having spent shells , the police took it very seriously , better safe then sorry .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 r3nm0r3RASCAL

How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

that case was thrown out guys but they were inert(spelling) shellsbut they were rifle rounds. i wouldnt kowloon cos they would look like live shells and thats a different mattter buddy. i wouldnt if i was you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd have to agree with patbundy on this one. If you have any component of ammunition (case, primer, powder, etc) you must have a license to cover the cases and calibre. A previous case was thrown out of court by the judge but the Gardai will still arrest and prosecute (however successful or not) those they find with shells and no licenses.

If you have spent shells thats one matter but to have spent shells with new heads is another. Where do you buy the heads? Why go through the trouble?

Topics such as this and others were covered (to some extent) on another thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055573581 - may be worth a read.

Just my two cents worth.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

kowloon wrote: »
    A quick question for all of you in the know.
    Assuming it's okay to own spent cases - I believe there's a precedent for that - could you fill the cases with resin/oil and put new heads on the cases to make inert rounds or would this still fall under the manufacture of ammunition?

No that would be ok to do

Seems to be some disagreement here.

Would justice be the crowd to ring about this or the local super? Who decides policy, is there a policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Seems to be some disagreement here.

Would justice be the crowd to ring about this or the local super? Who decides policy, is there a policy?

The firearms act is the 'policy'. ;)
    1.—(1) In this Act—
    “ammunition” (except where used in relation to a prohibited weapon) means ammunition for a firearm and includes—
    (a) grenades, bombs and other similar missiles, whether or not capable of being used with a firearm,
    (b) any ingredient or component part of any such ammunition or missile, and
    (c) restricted ammunition, unless the context otherwise requires;

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

this might be off topic, but i remember years ago that i and a few of the lads i hung around with used to buy 'bullets' (that looked like they were from a machine gun) on a chain to wear round our necks. sounds tacky now but young dumb and full of cum as the old saying goes. . :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yeah i remember the camping shops around mary street and capel street in dublin selling belts of used .223 brass , they had them hanging in the windows .

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

yep thats the shops alright.

So technically, a musket ball or spent case I pick up out in the field is illegally held.

Would an authorisation cover the collecting of ammunition?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Only in Ireland could there be a question about posession of non functioning ammo.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So technically, a musket ball or spent case I pick up out in the field is illegally held.
    Technically, an m5 hex bolt is illegally held without a firearms licence since it's a component part of a rifle (you'd only have to add a barrel, trigger mechanism, chamber, bolt and stock to make a firearm from one)...
    This is one case of the law being an ass in the pursuit of a reasonable-ish goal.
    But don't forget that the earlier case mentioned above where someone got in to trouble over cases, probably had more to do with the Gardai's attitude towards his reloading presses and other equipment (even through possession and usage of such equipment isn't illegal -- only possession of primers and propellant without appropriate paperwork is illegal).

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

rowa wrote: »
    there was someone up in court before for having spent shells , the police took it very seriously , better safe then sorry .

jes buddy how old are you:D cos the case i was thinking off happened in cork way before the internet was even heard off in ireland.kowloon you might get a worse responce this time if you do go ahead like the aru:eek::D

patbundy wrote: »
    jes buddy how old are you:D cos the case i was thinking off happened in cork way before the internet was even heard off in ireland.kowloon you might get a worse responce this time if you do go ahead like the aru:eek::D

it was 3 or 4 years ago and somewhere around wicklow i seem to remember , i know broadband in ireland isn't great but we've had the web for a bit longer than that .
    anyway i think its daft , i had a few spent rifle cases of odd calibres i'd picked up over the years , just had them for ornaments , to think they'd land you in court is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solidchrome

ezridax wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with patbundy on this one. If you have any component of ammunition (case, primer, powder, etc) you must have a license to cover the cases and calibre. A previous case was thrown out of court by the judge but the Gardai will still arrest and prosecute (however successful or not) those they find with shells and no licenses.

If you have spent shells thats one matter but to have spent shells with new heads is another. Where do you buy the heads? Why go through the trouble?

With that logic then I should have been arrested for bringing a key fob back from the UK last year that I bought at a military museum? It is a spent .45 shell.

technically you could have been arrested and charged solidchrome , a lot of shops in dublin used to sell these and stopped , i don't know if they were warned or not ,

OMG- what kind of country do we live in when you can be arrested for that? People reading that from other countries will be laughing their heads off.

• Advertisement

I remember everyone in school had those bullet key rings, but you could own a penknife too, none of thay now.

Where do reenactors and displays at military fairs stand? The Gardai were walking past Maxims and Vickers guns with inert belts hanging out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Take it from me. The gardai here are still stuck in the 80s and anyone interested in collecting inert rounds, must have another reason other then collecting :rolleyes: You will be arrested, questioned and maybe charged pending a file to the DPP.

They all still have a terrorist hangover here! Be carefull ;)

With that logic then I should have been arrested for bringing this key fob back from the UK last year......

I never said you will be, i said under the letter of the law you could be. The courts seem to be showing more common sense by dismissing cases of this nature but the Gardai are covered by law should they decide to arrest or charge someone for possessing shells or any component parts that they are not licensed for.

Forget for a minute decorative cases that you are not licensed for, you can be prosecuted for having too many spent shells and live ammo that you have a license for. In other words if your license covers you for 500 rounds of .308 and you have 300 spent shells and 300 live rounds you are legally over your allowance and in breech of the conditions of your license.

Its silly but a fact, so telling me you got away with this and that (on an open forum) proves nothing other than you are in breech of the law but have not been prosecuted for it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I never said you will be, i said under the letter of the law you could be. The courts seem to be showing more common sense by dismissing cases of this nature but the Gardai are covered by law should they decide to arrest or charge someone for possessing shells or any component parts that they are not licensed for.

Forget for a minute decorative cases that you are not licensed for, you can be prosecuted for having too many spent shells and live ammo that you have a license for. In other words if your license covers you for 500 rounds of .308 and you have 300 spent shells and 300 live rounds you are legally over your allowance and in breech of the conditions of your license.

Its silly but a fact, so telling me you got away with this and that (on an open forum) proves nothing other than you are in breech of the law but have not been prosecuted for it.

So what should I do- take it to the garda station? Apply for a license?

So what should I do- take it to the garda station? Apply for a license?

Firstly that won't happen as you won't get a license for it, but as i said my posts are about the law not personal opinion. I have family, most of whom, where in the armed forces and all have some sort of spent shells as decorations. I'm not suggesting a license be sought for each item or caliber nor am i saying you should have one i only pointed out that it is required.

Some portion of common sense is being applied and more Gardai seem to be resigned to allowing these decorative items be left with the owners, some are seeking that a letter from the Super be gotten to show you have declared you own such items but there are still members who will try and push the letter of the law and attempt to arrest, charge, prosecute ndividuals for owning such items.

I understand their point of view, in that they do not know if a person with X amount of spent rounds actually fired those rounds but those with them on a belt, key ring, display cabinet, clock, etc where they are most obviously for decorative purposes should be allowed to have and possess them without fear of reprisal.

Thanks for the advice ezridax. Easier just to throw it away I think- a key fob isnt worth getting into trouble over.

I'm not advocating one choice or the other. Its each persons own decision. I'm also not saying if you don't clear out all offense items immediately, that the ERU are going to crash through your window. Chances are if you've had it this long you probably won't have any bother with it.

At the risk of repeating myself, all the above is what you must have or what could happen. Base your decision on your own knowledge of the local Gardai and not the actions or results of others in other districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I understand their point of view, in that they do not know if a person with X amount of spent rounds actually fired those rounds but those with them on a belt, key ring, display cabinet, clock, etc where they are most obviously for decorative purposes should be allowed to have and possess them without fear of reprisal.

It a mad situation where someone could be in trouble for inert items. My partner dislikes me owning firearms and hunting. She is somewhat ok with target stuff, but in general she dislikes it. She is coming up to my place tomorrow I have put away any stuff like shooting mags etc; it her opinion I respect and she has to respect mine.

However, my point in stating the above is she has a spent .243 case made into a key ring. It belonged to her brother, who is now dead. She would be devasted if that was taken off her. I always check her key ring when we travel in fear that she may leave on and it being confiscated at the air-port.

Odysseus wrote: »
    It a mad situation where someone could be in trouble for inert items.

I agree with you and the other lads saying the same things.
    ....... she has a spent .243 case made into a key ring. It belonged to her brother, who is now dead. She would be devasted if that was taken off her. .....

The fact is like it or loathe it, its here (to stay) and people have to work around it. Take the over cautious approach and rid yourself of all items or just don't collect them in the first place. Take the middle approach and have some items which you have declared. Take the "who cares" approach and collect any thing you want, do not declare them and flaunt them as if you cannot be touched. Its personal choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I agree with you and the other lads saying the same things.

The fact is like it or loathe it, its here (to stay) and people have to work around it. Take the over cautious approach and rid yourself of all items or just don't collect them in the first place. Take the middle approach and have some items which you have declared. Take the "who cares" approach and collect any thing you want, do not declare them and flaunt them as if you cannot be touched. Its personal choice.

I know your right, I'm in a difficult position myself. I got my licence for the .22 Gamo in the middle of July. I was allowed 100 pellets, now where am I going to get 100 pellets. I have written 2 letters, but as I have the old paper licence, and my extention lasts until July. I don't think it will be resolved until I make a new application. Plus to top it off one digit is off on the licence as well. Local FO has told me to work way, but I won't travel far with it, as in my understanding, I could have problems if I get the wrong person on the wrong day.

Advertisement