Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spent cases

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Odysseus wrote: »
    ......... I was allowed 100 pellets, now where am I going to get 100 pellets. ..........

One of the mods (Sparks, i think) was on about something similar. Unlike live rounds (.22, 12g, .223, etc) pellets come in cans and there can actually be more than is stated on the tin. So 500 pellet tin can actually hold 499, 505, 502, 497. Okay if you are under but if your license states 500 and the tin has 505 then you are exceeding your quota on your license and hence (however technical) breaking the law. Now who is going to break open a tin and count the pellets to make sure. Its taken as an unwritten rule that you would not be in trouble for such a scenario, but as you said yourself, the wrong person on the wrong day and who knows.

I know that you cannot go through life terrified of "what ifs" and possibilities, you would never leave the house and end up a hermit. You can only take in as much info as possible and do what you deem safest/best. Same applies to the deactivated/spent shells.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Considering that number of murders in the state etc recently I reckon Gardai would be better employed catching the murderers etc than counting the number of pellets in a tin or checking if my keyring is a used cartridge :rolleyes:

Lads we all know the law is an ass and that certain Gardai are the same BUT most are sensible people who have better things to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Considering that number of murders in the state etc recently I reckon Gardai would be better employed catching the murderers etc than counting the number of pellets in a tin or checking if my keyring is a used cartridge :rolleyes:
    True enough (unless you tick someone off, in which case you're in a world of hurt). But it's generally customs and foreign customs/police I worry about. Paperwork having a glitch or two in Ireland tends to be treated in an Irish way because we're not really very good at issuing it in the first place and liability is shared; that doesn't always seem to hold when abroad and I prefer to have every i dotted and t crossed that I can arrange.

Sparks wrote: »
    ......(unless you tick someone off, in which case you're in a world of hurt).......

Or stand up for your 'rights' :rolleyes:

;)

I think the concept of "rights", as enjoyed in many other countries (and I'm more thinking nodic and french and swiss examples than I am american "don't taze me bro" examples), hasn't quite made it to Irish shores just yet...

• Advertisement

Only because we allow ourselves to be downtrodden by our "betters" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi all,

Im in court on the 14th of Feb for inert ammo. Im a collector and was going to put my collection on display for the town festival. Also had antique firearms and bayonets. All taken by the Garda almost two years ago. Got a summons four weeks ago :(

Story so far. Home raided.Arrested. Questioned for 12 hours. Licenced firearms taken, Antique collection taken and up in court in Feb. Up for my licenced guns and ammo:confused: inert ammo and antique guns (broken and rusty)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

That is apalling, there are many homes with spent artillary cases used as fireplace ornaments.

My mother bought me an inert Mills grenade ( shell only) from a Rathmines auction room in the 80s.

This is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

How come they raided the house in the first place?

Since the banning of samurai swords and the likes, I cant see bayonets going down to well, shame really.

That is ridiculous chem, and I would have thought this settled by the wicklow court decision a few years ago; but I would just mention that you're discussing a sub judice court case in public, and that perhaps for reasons of ensuring you have the best chance to prevail, we should await the outcome before discussing any specifics like this?

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    That is ridiculous chem, and I would have thought this settled by the wicklow court decision a few years ago; but I would just mention that you're discussing a sub judice court case in public, and that perhaps for reasons of ensuring you have the best chance to prevail, we should await the outcome before discussing any specifics like this?

Thanks Sparks. I understand what you are saying. But waiting almost two years has me and my family at wits end. The whole story begain when I ordered a de-act M1 Garand from Germany. I contacted the local Garda as I was trying to bulk up my display for the town. Got the bothered ear. "its not us its the DOJ" then back to the local lads.Got the run around. Call after call. In the mean time german seller posted the de-act as its free to own all over europe. It was found by coustoms.

Got letter from customs saying they found this in post, so I called the number and called down to my local Garda station to explain all. So had a meet with the top brass and home was raided. Even when said same top brass was at the festival meetings where I put forward my idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I have a bullet display board that I bought of TBM designs a few years ago.
    I have it on my wall.
    My local garda firearms officer was around checking my security for my firearms renewals last year and he was admiring it.
    Is this board now illegal ?.
    It is made up of rifle and pistol rounds. they are complete rounds of inert ammo.

It's a question that has come up before zeissman, and I thought myself that when it was struck out of court in Wicklow that the question was settled; now it would seem it's not settled yet :(

chem, out of interest, have you contacted the SSAI/NTSA/ICPSA/relevantNGB to bring this up with the FCP and the FPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I get the feeling they want to have Chem on the deact Garand,as from what he describes this is a major CYA situation for the powers that be.Everyone passed the buck,and it has to stop somwhere,and the best is dump it back on Chem.:rolleyes:
    On an aside,I remember Chem you did phone /write the DOJ some time in 2008?? and asked about this situation with the bullet boards and collecting ammo,and posted a very positive feedback from the DOJ on this here.
    To the fact that the DOJ virtually said to go ahead and enjoy collecting???

Also,as an aside,the ammo belts of 5.56 are still available.Saw one for sale appx 6 weeks ago.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I get the feeling they want to have Chem on the deact Garand,as from what he describes this is a major CYA situation for the powers that be.Everyone passed the buck,and it has to stop somwhere,and the best is dump it back on Chem.:rolleyes:
    On an aside,I remember Chem you did phone /write the DOJ some time in 2008?? and asked about this situation with the bullet boards and collecting ammo,and posted a very positive feedback from the DOJ on this here.
    To the fact that the DOJ virtually said to go ahead and enjoy collecting???

Also,as an aside,the ammo belts of 5.56 are still available.Saw one for sale appx 6 weeks ago.

Strange thing is Grizzly the Garand is not on the summons. My .22 hornet which I had a cert for is, as well as the ammo I had plus the 12g ammo I also was certed for. I was also informed that I was a terrorist suspect:rolleyes: and god only knows how that came about. Im sure im flagged when I next visit the US :rolleyes: My name is ruined as gossip never lets the truth come in the way of a good story. Lost my job over this. 2 years of hell for been a collector.

A terrorist suspect???Oh my!!! :rolleyes:Funny then that they are going to try this in a DC???And the simple way to find are you flagged is simply contact the dept of homeland security,who WILL tell you wether your name is on a watch list or not..Unlike this shower over here, US govt depts are actually helpful and play by the rules.Not make them up as they go along...:mad:.
    We truely live in a police state where people can be fitted up for crimes and CS can arbitarily decide they are above the law,even when directed by a district court to do otherwise.:(:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Best of luck Chem, it really should never have gotten so far in the first place.

Can't understand how they'd have an issue with a deact M1 chem, I passed this on the top floor of the stephen's green shopping centre only this evening:

attachment.php?attachmentid=141336&stc=1&d=1293744089

Was it an airsoft,deact or replica Sparks?? :confused:

Didn't wander in to see Grizzly, but it didn't appear to the eye from ten feet away to be airsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

airsoft looks that real now its so heard to tell , I have seen a few lately and they would fool you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

They aren't airsoft , they are simple wall hangers made in spain by a company called denix, they aren't great quality , that shop normally has ak47's , thompson smg's , smle's and a variety of pistols like the broomhandle and luger .
    its in a very prominent spot and i am sure the police know they sell them , even if they are grossly overpriced .

http://www.denix.es/catalog?id=8&lang=en&page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Highly doubt you'd get an airsoft garand at 270 Euros within Ireland. Airsoft prices for those start around at least a min of 500 Euro price range. More than likely the pic Sparks posted was just an ornamental replica piece, [EDIT Rowa beat me to it]

I'm keeping an eye on this thread with great interest.
    I am hoping at some stage Chem is able to post more information on his current situation within boards.ie
    guidelines/restrictions.

Hopefully the Court Case goes well for Chem. I'd love to
    hear all the details of the situation.
    Maybe After the court case is finished he may be able to
    provide the more details on what happened him.

I was curious to know the following:
    What the actual chargers were.
    What had the licensed firearms got to do with anything.
    What justification was given for raiding his house.
    and seizing legally held items.
    What else was siezed that was not a firearm or de-act.
    Was Empty Brass casings a factor in anything.
    How a terrorist suspect slander came into play.
    What the Gardai's response was when all questions
    were answered after being held for 12 hours.
    What do they think you have done wrong ?
    Is there any comeback/grounds where you can claim damages for
    making your life hell for the last 2 years or to claim defamation of your character?

As someone who is always keeping an eye out at antique fairs for Trench Art, Brass, inert stuff and collectibles, and having a Brass 150mm shell passed down from my great grand parents thats been in the family for 80-90 years
    your situation is after making me paranoid now.

Currently in Ireland you can purchase
    from stores and antique fairs:
    inert Grenades
    Realistic Imitation Firearms (replicas and airsoft)
    imitation claymores and landmines
    Belts of empty shells
    Dummy/Drill rounds
    Artillery shells
    Bullet keyrings and necklaces
    flack jackets

You then have the re-enactment groups
    and all the military displays in the country
    that feature de-acts and also and for some reason
    there is no bother there.

As we saw recently in the papers Head-Shop owners who sold illegal cross-bow pistols got off with little more than a
    slap on the wrist.

In Chem's case is the law/gardai etc just turning a blind eye on all that stuff and trying to screw someone for some weird reason all of a sudden ?

For collectors it would be nice to see some form of Collectors permission or a collectors license
    or even exceptions or NON grey areas of the laws the cater for people that like to collect militeria.
    It would help prevent this very type of farcical situation.

~B

How a terrorist suspect slander came into play.
    Somone must" think":rolleyes: in the PTB because of Chems profession and hobby he is some sort of oddball kook or terrorist.[no offence Chem]

Odd then that he is still at large,when we have plenty of anti terrorist legislation that could him locked up until a trial date.Usually held in a special criminal court,not the district court.And certainly not two years later as his terrorist organisation paid lawyers would be creating holy Hell about an innocent man being denied justice .
    Is there any comeback/grounds where you can claim damages for
    making your life hell for the last 2 years or to claim defamation of your character?

Id go and have a chat with a certain gentleman in Donegal who had the misfortune of being in a nastier situation a few years ago.
    Some remarkable simmilarities here.

As we saw recently in the papers Head-Shop owners who sold illegal cross-bow pistols got off with little more than a
    slap on the wrist.

A bit more on that story to come out no doubt somtime..

Looks like a FUBAR case and situation,even to the point where the original charge has been messed up[of importing an illegal firearm].But has gone too far to be able to withdraw the court case.So the PTB do have to bring it into court. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 SOLID-SLUG,

I built up a nice shell and head collection in 80s and 90s which started with a 7.62 nato given to me by a member of the PDF when i was a kid, and added to on trips to a FCA summer camp , picking trough sand bags for heads etc, and buying ready put together bullets at a stall inside the Eyre Sq, S.C. 357, 38spl etc.. a nice wee collection ...............All taken off me by the Police State we live in, and told by them that i was going to be charged,unless i give them info etc..,"Yea Right" the case never went to court as there was never one in the first place:, but i never got my collection back, "ONE" of the Garda involved was sacked from force a few years later for making up false arms/bomb finds,, well known case,.

Hi all,

My special sitting was on last firday. Case went to evidence. Result: Case dismissed :D:D:D

Thank you so much to all here who helped. You know who you are ;)

If anyone needs a legal team who know there stuff PM me for details.

Thanks again. Im a shooter again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Good for you Chem.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

What was the case about chem if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Good to hear. Should have never got to that stage anyway, but good to see sense FINALLY prevailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Justashotgun

Fair play to you Chem, just read through the posts and seems to have been a hard auld time for you. Glad to hear you got it all sorted and stuck one to the MAN! so to speak.

Advertisement