Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why so little underground car parks?

• 27-01-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering why Ireland has so few underground car parks? Is it that it's a lot more expensive to build?
    I'd have thought that people/the authorities would be in favour of them as it means that large amounts of space in city center isn't taken up by them. This space can then be used for something else (most likely shops, offices).

Cheers,
    pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Cork.jpg

Kingsley Hotel, Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick are all built on or very near to the sea. Rivers flow into them and generally the land is very soft and wet. Cost would be the main deterant and of course (as above) flooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

They are more expensive to construct, up to 4 times more expensive IIRC and in general motorists prefer surface car parks.

Had a few lectures from Liam Keilthy, he runs this website. Some interesting stuff there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

A lot of underground works are going to upset any workings.

Underneath Limerick there are miles upon miles of old sewerage works much like those you would see in the movies.

People in town houses had a basement access stairs where their staff would dispose of their "waste". Imagine the planning requires to turn a section of that into an underground car park.

Being by the sea does not really make too much of a difference. See the Maritime Hotel in Bantrys underground car park for example. Its the abbutment wall of the bay, 1 side your car and the other side the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

cantdecide wrote: »
    Kingsley Hotel, Cork

Shouldn't have left the barriers up...

Cheeble-eers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

cadaliac wrote: »
    Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick are all built on or very near to the sea. Rivers flow into them and generally the land is very soft and wet. Cost would be the main deterant and of course (as above) flooding.

Waterford also shares these characteristics for those who have never heard of the pace and no not of its location, and does have an undergound carpark beneath City Square shopping centre.

A spead of gravel on a brown field site is dirt cheap, contruction of an underground is clearly much more expensive to both build and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Why settle for an underground when you can have multistory? Plenty of them in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Are ya jokin? Every city is full of them. 90% of apartment blocks has an underground car park. I know of one that has four levels underground. You probably dont notice them as the entrance is discreet and often off a side street or alley. Only the commercial ones are overground usually. Many spaces are rented to daily commuters long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Having built a basement under my own house, I can attest to the cost.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

galwaytt wrote: »
    Having built a basement under my own house, I can attest to the cost.......
    ....as an afterthought! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement