Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OnBlack or OnWhite ?

• 27-01-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Could I ask ye a favour, I'm just wondering if this pic looks better with a 'Black' background or a 'White' background ? Its for the Tallagh exhibition print, pls point out other anomolies aswell :o;)

1B4D166DD3A14F8AA2D6A1D28766FA7F-500.jpg

5527216545FA4E30948DADE5EB036352-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I almost always think prints look better on black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

That one looks way better on black, in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

At first glance I would have said Black as well but after looking at it again I prefer the white frame.
    I always use white to frame colour prints and black to frame B&W prints. It keeps everything synchronoised if I do this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

hcnyla wrote: »
    At first glance I would have said Black as well but after looking at it again I prefer the white frame.
    I always use white to frame colour prints and black to frame B&W prints. It keeps everything synchronoised if I do this!

A little bit rigid in your thinking don't you think? I always think it depends on the image.
    In this case I prefer the black too. The white border is somewhat lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

I am by no means an expert but I prefer the black. Just feel it highlights the colours nicely.

Again, just my opinion :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

in this example I think it looks better on black, but you just have a white mount, not a frame. I think white mount/blackframe combinationw ould be best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I think it looks much better on black, a lot more striking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Many thanks folks, I prefer the black background aswell. I think stcstc (Steve) is giving us the option of a black mount so I think I'll go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I think the black presents it better in this instance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I find prints look very *very* different to screen images though, and you're not considering the frame. If it were mine I'd double mount with white as main and a smaller inner black mount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

On the screen I prefer black ..... but white is much better when behind glass.

TBH I don't have much experience with mounts & frames, and I appreciate your 'experienced' feedback, ie. ye know what ye are talking about. Now, I would like to present the pic in the best possible light, and the black does seem to do it justice. I presume doing a double mount would add extra cost (which I would like to keep 'down'), so........ if I were to put in a black border (with software) and then mount it on white, would that work, or is that a bit cheesy/cheap !! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

of course black looks better on the computer as the background behind it is light

it depends on what colour frame you'll use and what colour wall it will hang on

Personally, I frame prints generally with white mounts, black frames and put them on light coloured walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

To me the lighting looks off.

Compare the rocks in the right foreground to the tree and grass in the left.
    The rocks look kind of stitched in. I don't know.

I frame prints generally with white mounts, black frames
    Yeah, having consulted with steve I'm gonna go with this idea.
    The rocks look kind of stitched in
    I hear ya, but no, they are real, its just that the rocks weren't in bright sunlight and I darkened them a wee bit aswell ie. to bring out the background. If they were too bright they distract from the background. Did I do too much ?

Advertisement