Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox pics

• 27-01-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

I've had a vixen coming into the garden at night and eating peanuts left out for ground feeding birds for a while now. I picked up a tiny web camera on a well known auction site for €12 and videoed her last night. The quality isn't great but it does allow a foxes eye view of my garden at night! She has an impressive set of teeth. Here's a few stills:

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=4840

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=4839

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=4838

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭UltimateMale

Where do you live ? I've heard it said foxes are becoming more and more common in urban areas as they can live out of bins etc and don't have to worry about hunters or farmers with shotguns ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Where do you live ? I've heard it said foxes are becoming more and more common in urban areas as they can live out of bins etc and don't have to worry about hunters or farmers with shotguns ?

I'm in Baldoyle. I see quite a lot of foxes in the area, often at dawn coming back up from the shore. I assume they are hunting roosting waders and ducks down there. They don't get much out of bins these days as everyone has wheelie bins that they can't get into. No hunters or farmers to worry about, but plenty end up dead on urban roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how late at night does she come??

Any time between 9pm and midnight. I've spotted her at dawn a couple of times so I think she pays several visits each night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Very good. Is there a USB lead trailing out to the camera outside?
    I'm wondering if I can get a photo of whatever is living in a burrow 100 metres from my house, without spending too much money on high tech gear.

Buy a little weatherproof day/night camera on ebay for under €25 from Hong Kong with free P&P - €12 for non weatherproof which you can make a little cover for yourself . The ones with between 6 and 20 infra red illuminators are fine for covering a small area in darkness. Get your leads on ebay too - you can buy a few 50 metre ones and attach them together with adapters or even the leads that connect your stereo seperates! That setup will plug into your TV. If you want to watch through a computer and record video or pics, you'll have to buy a USB video grabber with software, about €20. Another option is to buy a wireless setup (but avoid the really cheap ones, they have very little range) and dispense with leads completely. Fine so long as no one nearby has baby monitors etc that will interfere with the signal. Be careful, its addictive. I have 4 nestboxes wired, my shed for watching mice, a hedgehog box and the garden for the fox!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Everett

Great shots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Robin Wren

Very good result for 12 Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Buy a little weatherproof day/night camera on ebay for under €25
    Thanks for that- there is a big selection alright. Do you mean something like this?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-LED-COLOUR-WEATHERPROOF-IR-DAY-NIGHT-CCTV-CAMERA-U_W0QQitemZ270446994958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CCTV?hash=item3ef7e5a60e
    I presume the LED's emit invisible infa red light, so as not to scare off the subject. Would this camera be on constantly or would it switch on only when triggered by movement in the vicinity?
    It would be handy if the TV channel could be made to change over automatically whenever there was some movement detected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've heard it said foxes are becoming more and more common in urban areas as they can live out of bins etc
    i've heard something to the converse - that the introduction of wheelie bins has reduced the available food supply and that urban fox numbers have been hit as a result.

recedite wrote: »
    Thanks for that- there is a big selection alright. Do you mean something like this?
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-LED-COLOUR-WEATHERPROOF-IR-DAY-NIGHT-CCTV-CAMERA-U_W0QQitemZ270446994958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CCTV?hash=item3ef7e5a60e
    I presume the LED's emit invisible infa red light, so as not to scare off the subject. Would this camera be on constantly or would it switch on only when triggered by movement in the vicinity?
    It would be handy if the TV channel could be made to change over automatically whenever there was some movement detected.

That one will do fine. You have to leave it on all the time though, but they only use 9volts so it won't cost too much in electricity! I'm sure you can buy motion sensors for tripping a camera on and off but I haven't looked into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Saw this 'un a few weeks ago.

EdswM.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

cool pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

brilliant pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wildlife_Photo

The season is just beginning for fox cubs to come out of the den for the first time. Does anyone know the location of any active fox dens where cubs might be observed?
    I'm pretty exoerienced in wildlife photography but would love to spend some time observing brand new foxes, which is something i've never done.

If anyone has any info to share i'd be happy to share HQ prints of any pictures that come out of it.

It would probably be best to respond directly to my email address, as it might not be the kind of info you'd want to share publicly:

brian.carugo@gmail.com

Thanks a million to anyone that can help. I believe there's a window of only a couple of weeks wherein the cubs are too young to venture far from the den during the day, so quick replies especially appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not to cast any doubt on the credentials of Wildlife Photo but please be careful when disclosing this kind of information, as there are many who seem to delight in destroying dens at this time of year. Just by sending an Email or PM you are not assured of the bona fides of a first time poster.

Sorry Wildlife Photo but if you are experienced in wildlife photography I'm surprised you are not aware of Foxes in your area already or don't have contacts who know. We just can't be too careful, as I'm sure you will appreciate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Seems a bit early for cubs to be coming out of the earth as many will only just have been born ?

Our vixen has recently started carrying off meat left out for her, whereas she would have eaten it in the garden before. I assume she is taking it to cubs but it does seem far too early alright. Another possibility is that she is moving her food away from the neighbours tomcat who has started hanging around, despite getting zapped with the supersoaker every few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

recedite wrote: »
    Very good. Is there a USB lead trailing out to the camera outside?
    I'm wondering if I can get a photo of whatever is living in a burrow 100 metres from my house, without spending too much money on high tech gear.

afraid USB has max lenght of 5 Metres - see http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I would say a good 60% of time I leave my house at night time I see Foxes running round the roads.

Thing is I live around Dun Laoghaire.
    When I lived further out towards the country, I hardly ever saw them.

I tried getting pics, but I never have a camera on me.
    They do some cool stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

hello, i have access to a camerman and sound equipment and i am interested in making a mini documentry on foxes in fingal so i would also like info on an active fox den in the area. i can prove who i am and what i do for anyone with the relevant info so i would realy appreciate it. I have made short films with conservation volunteers fingal and Bird watch ireland but i want to make an independant production myself called Fingal Foxes. so please anyone out there pm me and i will prove the work i am doing. i am based in D15 but in all the searches i have yet to find an active den.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Strange coincidence wildlifeboy and wilflife_photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wildlife_Photo

Not to cast any doubt on the credentials of Wildlife Photo but please be careful when disclosing this kind of information, as there are many who seem to delight in destroying dens at this time of year. Just by sending an Email or PM you are not assured of the bona fides of a first time poster.

Sorry Wildlife Photo but if you are experienced in wildlife photography I'm surprised you are not aware of Foxes in your area already or don't have contacts who know. We just can't be too careful, as I'm sure you will appreciate.

Of course if anyone who would be willing to share this information requires proof that my intentions are as expressed I'd be happy to provide this in any way I can. I would expect people to take every precaution regarding the safety and welfare of animals they care about, and I won't begrudge anyone their scepticism. I hope that anyone who can help will at least make initial contact, via email or otherwise, and we can take it from there.

Annie Flat Limousine, you are no doubt correct about folks who delight in destroying dens with cubs present. I am disgusted by all forms of cruelty, and part of my hope for my photography is that it will help people to appreciate the beauty and value of the natural world, and to empathise more with the wildlife in our country, thereby (hopefully) reducing both the proportion of people engaged in such practices, and the level of tolerance of the public for such behaviour.
    E39MSport wrote: »
    Strange coincidence wildlifeboy and wilflife_photo.

Oo-err, see what you mean. Both first time posters, registered on the same day, very sus. For the record I'm not wildlifeboy, and I've no idea who he is, and if I was going to perpetrate a dual-identity, I'd be a lot more subtle than that! :D
    I took the name Wildlife_Photo because I wanted to get registered quick and for a specific purpose, and to get the message out there. The name Wildlife_Photo is pretty unambiguous, and can be taken as a declaration of intent. My real name is available from the email address above, and I put that out there because I'm genuine.

Please everyone keep the replies coming and let me know whats required etc. I'm very grateful for the replies and discussion so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wildlife Boy, if you have made films with conservation volunteers Fingal then contact them. They are bound to be aware of Fox dens as there are plenty in Fingal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Our vixen has recently started carrying off meat left out for her, whereas she would have eaten it in the garden before. I assume she is taking it to cubs but it does seem far too early alright. Another possibility is that she is moving her food away from the neighbours tomcat who has started hanging around, despite getting zapped with the supersoaker every few days!

Half-cocked, does the dog fox not bring food back to the den?? I read and always thought that he stays with the vixen until the cubs are reared and leaves food outside the den for them no??

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Half-cocked, does the dog fox not bring food back to the den?? I read and always thought that he stays with the vixen until the cubs are reared and leaves food outside the den for them no??

I've been reading up on fox behaviour and you are correct. I've just heard that it is normal for a fox to carry away a larger piece of food to eat elsewhere, so probably no cubs yet. Haven't seen the dog fox since January. Our vixen munched her way through a chicken carcass last night with a cat sitting watching less than 2 metres away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Our vixen munched her way through a chicken carcass last night with a cat sitting watching less than 2 metres away!

Cat waiting for the left overs lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I saw a small fox today in Herbert Park, near the pond. Just a little bit bigger than a cat and very similar to the one on the picture pasted by Baza2010.

It was very close to us but it could only see it for 2 secs before it run away.

Advertisement