Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on amp replacement?

• 27-01-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

The short version is that last year I moved house and decided to downsize my amps. So I sold two non-master volume heads and associated cabs, picked up a tasty channel-switching combo, and spent the change.

Now I miss my old amps! The combo is too bloody heavy, and I miss the handiness of my old, relatively portable 30w head and 2x12". So I was thinking about going back in that general direction...

First thought was to go for the same amp as I had before, a JTM45 reissue. Nice and light, simple, not too many valves to replace.

But then I thought about the 30w Orange Dual Terror. Even lighter and with a handy gig bag. Cheaper, too!

What do you reckon?

As more background, I only ever use amps set clean and warmish, with hoiked mids. Don't need switching or an effects loop. Sound is shaped by my pedalboard...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

the dual terror looks/sounds sweet. Looked it up there.
    I'd say if that's in your price range that you could do an awful lot worse.
    Versatile little thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

The short version is that last year I moved house and decided to downsize my amps. So I sold two non-master volume heads and associated cabs, picked up a tasty channel-switching combo, and spent the change.

Now I miss my old amps! The combo is too bloody heavy, and I miss the handiness of my old, relatively portable 30w head and 2x12". So I was thinking about going back in that general direction...

First thought was to go for the same amp as I had before, a JTM45 reissue. Nice and light, simple, not too many valves to replace.

But then I thought about the 30w Orange Dual Terror. Even lighter and with a handy gig bag. Cheaper, too!

What do you reckon?

As more background, I only ever use amps set clean and warmish, with hoiked mids. Don't need switching or an effects loop. Sound is shaped by my pedalboard...

You might want to try out the dual terror with your setup to make sure it will give you the headroom that you want. I play through an AD30 and I just about get the headroom but it does break up pretty easily. My clean channel has the gain set to 1 like....
    I'm not 100% but I think the dual terror is a little more aggressive than the AD30 so it might offer less headroom than that even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Turns out that the Dual Terror head is actually heavier (though smaller) than the JTM45 reissue head! There goes my mental image of me slinging it nonchalently over my shoulder as i stride purposefully out my door...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

What sort of dough?

What sort of dough?

Would probably be looking to pick up a second-hand head and 2x12" with change from a grand... If I could "liquidate" some gear to free up cash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

Seems like the JTM and a G12M (greenback) loaded, open-backed 2X12 cab is the man for your job, and a sweet rig it would be too.

Yep, that'd do the trick alright!

Or a 1987x into a pair of V30s in a closed back cab...

Advertisement