Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Does A Bookshop Know?

Options
  • 27-01-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

If you go to a bookstore without a reciept to exchange books, and they let you (i.e. the books are in mint condition - unused)

Is there anyway of the store knowing (if they stock that book) if you actually purchased that book there?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

stainluss wrote: »
    Is there anyway of the store knowing (if they stock that book) if you actually purchased that book there?

Unless there's some sort of stamp or sticker I don't see how they would.

Unless the book is faulty they don't have to allow an exchange or replacement even if you DID have a receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Cabaal wrote: »
    Unless the book is faulty they don't have to allow an exchange or replacement even if you DID have a receipt

i know, its just that most will anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It depends. I did summerwork in a book shop and if the book was a title that wouldn't be selling everyday we would ask the person approximately when they bought it and look it up in the records.

However we normally didn't give refunds on the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,542 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, unless there is a stamp or sticker in addition to the barcode. They will check the barcode to see do they normally stock that book.

Advertisement