Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating converted attic

• 27-01-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Greetings DIY people,

Has anyone insulated their attic when their is already a conversion up there? It appears the attic here isnt insulated. If you are by a wall its FREEZING. Like being outside.

Bastards staying in the room are using an electric heater! :(

How longs it take for a n00b. Any idea how much it might cost to get someone else to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

damnyanks wrote: »
    Has anyone insulated their attic when their is already a conversion up there?

Its possible, depending on size of crawl spaces. Any new insulation will improve the current situation.

Insulate along the line of the ceiling with 75mm thick Kingspan foil backed insulation board. These boards will have to be slid down from the attic. It very important that you maintain 50mm clear air ventilation gap between top of new insulation board and underside of roof felt.

Vertical walls can be insulated with Kingspan or Rockwool flexi, fitted tightly betwen timber studs.

Attic floor can be insulated with 300mm thick fibre glass. Theres lots of threads explaining attic insulation. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

cant belive it was converted and no inso installed.

I think the kings span has to be tight to work properly.

If it was myself. I would take down the plasterboard. Do it right. must be costing a fortune to heat..

Advertisement