Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick smart phone in Australia please

• 27-01-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Here's the choices:
    http://www.mobicity.com.au/

Here's the brief:
    - Fast data connection
    - Fast full featured web browser
    - Large screen
    - Compatible with Google Mail and MS Exchange
    - Compatible with Skype/Fring/VOIP
    - Camera not a priority, music player not a priority
    - Budget is between $400 and $500 with a little bit of room either side.

I bought an E65 for ~$500 about 20 months ago and was disappointed with the speed and switched to an INQ for ~$200 about 14 months ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

N900 seems to be the obvious choice, but it looks to be out of budget...any reason you're buying specifically from that site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The prices are good and they're SIM free. The purchase is covered by Aussie legislation and there's a 12 month warranty. Buying from Hong Kong would be slightly cheaper but more risky. The N900 is way out of budget btw. I also just had a horrible thought that maybe a lot of those phones aren't available in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

is there a good website you buy them from hong kong from??, looking at the features you want would you not consider 3 australia if they have coverage in your area and you'll probably get the phone a bit cheaper..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

although I haven't used one and I don't think there is much info on boards about it, I would have a look up of the acer liquid, yes it hasn't got version 2 of android but spec wise it is quite decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

is there a good website you buy them from hong kong from??, looking at the features you want would you not consider 3 australia if they have coverage in your area and you'll probably get the phone a bit cheaper..
    That website is cheaper than Three Australia. The best the operators would offer me is a loan packaged into my monthly bill to buy the phone at a premium. I've no interest in signing a long term contract and these phones aren't offered on prepay. The prices from hong Kong o0n eBay are marginally cheaper but I would lose the security of buying from an Aussie seller. The Whirlpool.net.au forums are full of posts from people who bought problem phones from eBay. It's a fairly substantial amount of money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement