Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rating query

• 27-01-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    Ive started playing chess lately, mostly on the gameknot website (which by the way I think is really good). So far ive played 83 games, winning about half of them. (My name on gameknot if you want to play me is same as here ie banjobongo).
    My average rating on this wite is currently 1267, with my highest being 1343 and lowest being 1218.
    My query is as follows: is the rating this site uses the standard rating used by other chess players in Ireland/Europe, I presume it is, if so, then I know what my rating is on an objectinve basis?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

banjobongo wrote: »
    hi guys
    Ive started playing chess lately, mostly on the gameknot website (which by the way I think is really good). So far ive played 83 games, winning about half of them. (My name on gameknot if you want to play me is same as here ie banjobongo).
    My average rating on this wite is currently 1267, with my highest being 1343 and lowest being 1218.
    My query is as follows: is the rating this site uses the standard rating used by other chess players in Ireland/Europe, I presume it is, if so, then I know what my rating is on an objectinve basis?

Yes, all the chess websites use the same calculations to work out your rating. But it depends on one major assumption: that the average rating is 1200 (or thereabouts). If the players were very strong on a particular site, like gameknot, then your 1267 may be worth more than a 1267 on a rival website like redhotpawn. Bottom line: a 1267 is a 1267 regardless*.

*I only play online and I'm assuming that my 1524 may not hold up on over-the-board play due to the clock limitations, and not being able to 'analyse' the board the way I do on RHP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I think a lot of the websites will be quite similar but there can be a big difference between an online rating and an OTB rating. For example on RHP I'm playing 6 games in parallel and it's hard to keep track of plans. I know that there are games I've lost the thread (and then the game) that I wouldn't have lost over the board. I've probably won some this way too! From what I've seen I would guess that an online rating could be up to 200 points either side of your OTB rating, and will also go up and down much more. My €0.02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Hi,
    IMO you can't compare online ratings with Irish Chess Union ratings.
    On Gameknot I have a rating of about 1750 (+/- 20) but my ICU is just under 1400. However this comparison can vary dramatically though, other examples in our club being:
    GK 1950/ICU 1190
    GK 1860/ICU 1910
    GK 1580/ICU 1550

Basically, no matter where you want to improve your rating (online or real-world) you've got to play more games. I only play in the Leinster Leagues, no cup events, which comes to about 11 rated games per year. This means I'll never move more than 30-40 points in any direction in any given year.

I'll probably sent you a challenge if you're available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

you can only really compare the ratings on the site to other players on that site. As Pherekydes says they use similar methods, but may arrive at totally different numbers.

Advertisement