Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer shut down. Beeping. Heating.

Options
  • 27-01-2010 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭

[Apologies if this is in the wrong section.]

For the past few months my computer has been restarting itself occasionally, in seemingly completely unrelated situations. While playing some games, but not others, while afk, while watching a movie, while doing nothing more than reading emails. You get the idea.

Just a few moments ago it restarted after being left on throughout the night. [Yeah, I know.]When restarting it up again I heard, literally BEEE BOOOO BEEEE BOOOO BEEE BOOO coming out from the comp. At first this got a laugh outa me, then I realised its not doing that to be funny. It stopped after about 8 seconds and on came my two monitors and it says:

''The CPU previously shut down due to overheating.

Press space bar to continue.''

NOT COOL. SO NOT COOL. Relatively expensive new-ish i5 intel core. Do not want it to go dead or anything of that sort.

So now here I am with firefox open typing this, and in the corner I can see the CPU shooting from 0-3% to 11-28% usage. Now thats not right. Never did that before even when running 7 programs. Oh dear.

Would you say this is the problem thats been restarting the comp in the past? [With no previous beeping or information dumps or signs left on the screen etc etc. I had nothing to go on back then.] Im half hoping it is, then I can nip it on the bud now. Thats where you guys come in. So whats advised? Can serious damage be cause [if not already] by continuing to use it? Should I shut down now and look for a computer repair shop to get them to look at it? Any advice very much appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

19543261 wrote: »
    [Apologies if this is in the wrong section.]

For the past few months my computer has been restarting itself occasionally, in seemingly completely unrelated situations. While playing some games, but not others, while afk, while watching a movie, while doing nothing more than reading emails. You get the idea.

Just a few moments ago it restarted after being left on throughout the night. [Yeah, I know.]When restarting it up again I heard, literally BEEE BOOOO BEEEE BOOOO BEEE BOOO coming out from the comp. At first this got a laugh outa me, then I realised its not doing that to be funny. It stopped after about 8 seconds and on came my two monitors and it says:

''The CPU previously shut down due to overheating.

Press space bar to continue.''

NOT COOL. SO NOT COOL. Relatively expensive new-ish i5 intel core. Do not want it to go dead or anything of that sort.

So now here I am with firefox open typing this, and in the corner I can see the CPU shooting from 0-3% to 11-28% usage. Now thats not right. Never did that before even when running 7 programs. Oh dear.

Would you say this is the problem thats been restarting the comp in the past? [With no previous beeping or information dumps or signs left on the screen etc etc. I had nothing to go on back then.] Im half hoping it is, then I can nip it on the bud now. Thats where you guys come in. So whats advised? Can serious damage be cause [if not already] by continuing to use it? Should I shut down now and look for a computer repair shop to get them to look at it? Any advice very much appreciated. Cheers.

I'm no expert, but it definitely sounds like overheating,
    I assume you recently put in the core i5 processor? - Is the heat sink properly attached to it? (clamped down properly with heat sink paste stuff in between the processor and heat sink)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

I'm no expert, but it definitely sounds like overheating,
    I assume you recently put in the core i5 processor? - Is the heat sink properly attached to it? (clamped down properly with heat sink paste stuff in between the processor and heat sink)

I put the computer together a good bit before Christmas, so its been a while that its been acting up on me. The heatsink is correctly in place, I checked that only a few moments ago, but you know what? There wasnt heat sink paste stuff! I recalled seeing a friend of my brothers use something similar while building his computer a few years back but assumed it had been done away with and wasnt used anymore, seeing as I couldnt find any of this gel with the CPU. [Unless it feel out, but I thoroughly checked the packaging]

Could this be the issue? Does that gel always remain on the CPU after its built? Im assuming its 100% necessary then? Is it as simple as just going out to purchase some and putting some in place, restarting and bam fixed? Cause if thats the case then Im relieved, this has been at the back of my mind for so long now, Id be happy knowing its something as simple as this.

I'd get a second opinion from an expert to be sure, but it sounds like that's the problem, - a thermal paste issue. (remember -I'm not an expert in building PC's)

Look up some tutorials on youtube if you plan on doing it yourself, tutorials might show you where you went wrong, -if you went wrong!

I'd get a second opinion from an expert to be sure, but it sounds like that's the problem, - a thermal paste issue. (remember -I'm not an expert in building PC's)

Look up some tutorials on youtube if you plan on doing it yourself, tutorials might show you where you went wrong, -if you went wrong!

You seem to be 100% correct! Its definitely an overheating issue. Ive asked around on some other forums [as well as 4chan and 7chan] and they all point me towards either not enough air circulation, heat sink issues or thermal paste needing to be applied again.

Seeing as I didnt apply any in the first place, I can safely say thats the problem! Cheers for your responses!

Heres hopin I can pick up some of this stuff easily enough at place like PC world v.V

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Did you use the stock cooler that came with the cpu?
    If so it will have pre-applied paste on it.

If you didnt and the cooler you bought hadn't any paste pre-applied or didn't come with any (which i find strange) you need to get some asap.

Thermal paste is very important and would explain your problem.
    Also i would not use the pc until you get some as even though "thermal proctection" should shut pc down or throttle speeds down it will not do your cpu any good and is very risky imo.

Yeah pc world have some basic paste that will do the job.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    Did you use the stock cooler that came with the cpu?
    If so it will have pre-applied paste on it.

If you didnt and the cooler you bought hadn't any paste pre-applied or didn't come with any (which i find strange) you need to get some asap.

Thermal paste is very important and would explain your problem.
    Also i would not use the pc until you get some as even though "thermal proctection" should shut pc down or throttle speeds down it will not do your cpu any good and is very risky imo.

Yeah pc world have some basic paste that will do the job.

Cheers for the reply. 99% sure no paste was pre-applied, so chances are I either missplaced something small like that, or dropped it somehow /sweat

Ill follow your advice an leave it untouched for the time being, I should be over in the direction of PC world tomorrow, so alls good. Thanks again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thermal paste will considerably help in transferring the heat from the CPU to the CPU Fan/heat sink.

Also, are you sure the CPU fan is suitable for the CPU installed?

Old fans may not be up to the job of cooling some of the modern CPU's which run quite hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm no expert, but it definitely sounds like overheating
    Yes, when the computer starts screaming and says "my CPU is overheating" I tend to take it at it's word.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yes, when the computer starts screaming and says "my CPU is overheating" I tend to take it at it's word.
    :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

thermal paste needing to be applied again.

Seeing as I didnt apply any in the first place, I can safely say thats the problem!

:eek:

Just. :eek:

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    :eek:

Just. :eek:

Thats not the best bit, Get this! The heat sink was not even on!!! I mustnt of put it on correctly in the first place, it was balancing neatly on a cable hanging just above the graphics card. V.v

How did my computer even manage to function in the first place? And for 3 odd months at that, without many hicups!

Its a miracle story!

I picked up the thermal paste today and just applied it a few moments ago, everythings running perfectly. I have a good few things open at the moment and its staying put at 34oC low and 44oC high. Would this be about normal? Sure seems an improvement from 80oC.

Thats not the best bit, Get this! The heat sink was not even on!!! I mustnt of put it on correctly in the first place, it was balancing neatly on a cable hanging just above the graphics card. V.v

How did my computer even manage to function in the first place? And for 3 odd months at that, without many hicups!

Its a miracle story!

I picked up the thermal paste today and just applied it a few moments ago, everythings running perfectly. I have a good few things open at the moment and its staying put at 34oC low and 44oC high. Would this be about normal? Sure seems an improvement from 80oC.

:eek::eek::eek:
    Read my first post, -for I am a genius!!!

I'd say the heat sink was sitting on top of the cpu for those 3 months barely cooling the thing, and then it fell off or slipped or something, - causing the pc to overheat and crash instantly.

You must be so relieved!

I found some stuff on temp here -
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/271017-10-core-running-cool-temperatures

Your cpu temp seems about right.

:eek::eek::eek:
    Read my first post, -for I am a genius!!!

I'd say the heat sink was sitting on top of the cpu for those 3 months barely cooling the thing, and then it fell off or slipped or something, - causing the pc to overheat and crash instantly.

You must be so relieved!

I found some stuff on temp here -
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/271017-10-core-running-cool-temperatures

Your cpu temp seems about right.

Im a lucky man alright!

Ive heard it takes a good few hundred hours for thermal paste to kick in fully, so hopefully things will get a little cooler in the future. Tomorrow I think Ill give Prime95 a shot for to see what the readings are under heavy load. If Im having any trouble Ill be sure to report back here hehe.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have given me, I really appreciate it. Take care.

Advertisement