Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom now offering up to 24mbits to home users

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

the_law wrote: »
    Calebmcd, they're good stats, you should get full speed with them.

Low attenuation is good, high SNR is good - you have both. I think jor_el might have misread one as the other... with 34db attenuation you'd only get 12Mbit or so.

I misread them at first too - you must living in the exchange:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

John2009 wrote: »
    I might think about this, what is Eircons cooling off period duration 14 or 21 days?

Cooling off period is normally 7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Does anyone know if you can keep the low ping profiles with the adsl2+ upgrade? I know at work here on adsl2+ there is no option for low / no interleaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

the_law wrote: »
    I think jor_el might have misread one as the other.

Yes, got it all backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

dub45 wrote: »
    I misread them at first too - you must living in the exchange:)

Yep, its nice an cosy in here. :p
    Just had a disaster, my mother(gave her a key) decided to rearrange my sitting room. And dropped my Dell 2408. The screen is destroyed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Yep, its nice an cosy in here. :p
    Just had a disaster, my mother(gave her a key) decided to rearrange my sitting room. And dropped my Dell 2408. The screen is destroyed. :(

How bad are the injuries to your mother?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 21.90 14.00

Line Attenuation (dB) 33.50 20.00

any ideas what kind of speed i would get with these stats regarding the new 24 meg speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

somewhere between 11-13MB

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 21.90 14.00

Line Attenuation (dB) 33.50 20.00

any ideas what kind of speed i would get with these stats regarding the new 24 meg speeds

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is useless as most of us are on ADSL1 exchanges:(

any plans on Eircom to upgrade that huge list of exchanges not on ADSL2+?

I dont get it, was on to Vodafone who tested my line for the 24mb and said the max I could get was 15.36 which I would be happy with....I then call customer care and they would not process the order saying my line is only capable of 8124 which is what I am on.

So how can a line test for 15Mb and not be on a ADSL2 exchange??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

anoble66 wrote: »

So how can a line test for 15Mb and not be on a ADSL2 exchange??

It is a standard test irrespective.

Is your exchange on THIS list at the beginning of the thread ??

yeah i am on the Killaloe exchange which is not ADSL2+ enabled....but I have been told once again this evening by the LLU programme manager that my line is fine for 15mb so.....who knows! Will see what tomorrow brings...I am still expecting to be told at some point "errr, actually no its not possible"

My only hope is that maybe VF have their own equipment installed in my exchange - but then I just dont see why they would in a small town..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is a standard test irrespective.

Is your exchange on THIS list at the beginning of the thread ??

Hi, my exchange is not on that list, when I call eircom they tell me my line will only support 7mb, I currently have the 7.6 from UTV but was hoping to get this package....I'm confused as the eircom girl told me to get the 24mb my line would have to have more than 11mb on adsl, I thought 7.6 was the max.....can anyone explain please?

They may not pass people below a cutoff point initially for fear of bad PR. IE 11mbits minimum or else you are dropped to 7.6.

Imagine the muppets howling on boards that they could only get 10mbits :D

This is eircoms first 'up to package' nobody will ever get the full 24 and very few over 20.

Up to now they matched the package / line and generally delivered the full package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

They may not pass people below a cutoff point initially for fear of bad PR. IE 11mbits minimum or else you are dropped to 7.6.

This is eircoms first 'up to package' nobody will ever get the full 24 and very few over 20.

Up to now they matched the package / line and generally delivered the full package.

Thanks, seem simple now! DOH! Your are correct though about complaining about not getting 20+mb....it would make nice reading though :D. I think i was niave though in thinking this would mean more speed though, just seen upgrade and hoped I could avail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

697824881.png

Upgraded about 2 hours ago in work, & I just got home and modem is showing a 15 m/bit connection (15357/765 (kbps). Quick upgrade work from Eircom, they said upto 48 hours, but I guess that's just to cover themselves.

Sponge Bob is 100% correct. VERY few will see over 20 m/bit. At work, I can see the exchange across the road, and we can only get around 19400x 1024 sync speed.

720p video streaming possible from apple.com on 15m/bit, sadly only my work 19 m/bit connection can manage 1080p streaming. 1.64 meg per second download off heanet. Happy enough really :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

I'm one of the few that could get 20mb Max(Which is 18mb speed wise):rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭strongman

@ Praetorian
    Did you get a in new modem. I was on to Eircom today about upgrade. She told me to ring back on Monday that they have no modems at the moment.

Just checked my stats on jor el's post and it seems I can get 17mb. The only worry is the contention ratio. Maybe a silly question but is there any way I can find out (without asking) if there are any of Eircom broadband customers nearby? The only other signal my wireless found was something called "Sitecom" :confused:

Sitecom is a ssrious wifi router often used for large houses with hollow slab floors or AV rigs or both , any near you ??

• Advertisement

Sitecom is a ssrious wifi router often used for large houses with hollow slab floors or AV rigs or both , any near you ??
    I know a house across the very small road from me has UPC broadband...do UPC provide Sitecoms? My house and others in the area wouldn't be described as large more like a cottage. What's an AV rig (audio visual something?) We got some new neighbours directly across from us and I think it's them. Maddeningly I've never bumped into the owner! I found him on Facebook but I think it would be weird to facebook a neighbour basically next door without ever meeting them? Anyway I digress...apologies for taking the thread OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brian kay

Sponge Bob your wrong with your list of exchanges that can't get 24mb,i live in ballincollig cork(you have listed as a non 24mb exchange) and i can get the 24mb. was onto them yesterday and they checked my line i'll get 17 mb down and 750 up, i know that it will be a bit slower when i get it. to who ever posted that it's a 12 month contract thats falls i ask and was told i will not have to go on any contracted.that said i have been with eircom phone for over 16 or more years and have had broadband with them when it came out in my area i think 2001

brian kay wrote: »
    Sponge Bob your wrong with your list of exchanges that can't get 24mb,i live in ballincollig cork(you have listed as a non 24mb exchange) and i can get the 24mb.

Good, I am looking for a more up to date version of that list because eircom do not announce ADSL1>ADSL2 upgrades which do occur periodically. Ballincollig is one of the 100 largest exchanges in the state so damn sure they should upgrade it.
    i ask and was told i will not have to go on any contracted.that said i have been with eircom phone for over 16 or more years and have had broadband with them when it came out in my area i think 2001

Did you get that in writing, ie that the MINIMUM 12 Month contract has been waived in your case. Bet you did not :D

Did you get that in writing, ie that the MINIMUM 12 Month contract has been waived in your case. Bet you did not :D

haha ya that's true. i bet they will try a fast one, it is eircom after all.they will be ringing back today with details on when i will be getting 24mb bb, so i will ask for it in writing or even a email. when i changed from 1mb to 7mb i was on a 6 month contract.as soon as i can get ntl i will be jumping ship very fast, so don't want a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

I am in Bandon, Cork and was told by eircom last night that the upgrade wont re rolled out until June.

kenny111 wrote: »
    I am in Bandon, Cork and was told by eircom last night that the upgrade wont re rolled out until June.

that sucks kenny,i lived in bandon for 2 years but it was dial up i had at the time (oh the good old days of dial up get shivers every time i think about it:eek:)don't know the state of bandons exchange but they should upgrade it as it is the gate way to west cork so most net traffic would pass trough bandon.ballincollig was upgrade start of 2009 thats when i was able to get 7mb and it started to go a bit bonkers a few weeks back so thats when they might have done new upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

I tried to order eircom's 24mb home broadband on the phone and was told to wait till monday as they are waiting on a shipment of modems.The lady on the phone told me that new modems are required.

lockers55 wrote: »
    I tried to order eircom's 24mb home broadband on the phone and was told to wait till monday as they are waiting on a shipment of modems.The lady on the phone told me that new modems are required.

ya the modems we have are ADSL1 and you need a ADSL2 modem to get the faster broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Anyone know if UTV will be offering 24Mbps? They use Eircom lines etc.

• Advertisement

I asked UTV this yesterday - got the usual non-commital response. They will be offering higher speeds but they do not know when or what speeds....so basically they are way behind the other ISP's at this stage....I was going to switch to them but this put me off to be honest..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement