Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom now offering up to 24mbits to home users

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

I am with UTV already. I may just switch to Vodafone who are offering a very good package including phone for €62.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

just ordered it if eircom and they are sending me out a new modem to cope with the increased speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lockers55

I rang Eircom. They said my line can take up to 12mb broadband which is ok. On the Eircom forums i was talking privately to one of the tech support and he told me that my broadband line can take 20mb and that "The 24mb produce wont be available until the 1st of February. We had a few issues on this side. :)".

So just so anyone knows maybe wait till Monday when they can tell you properly what your line can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

I just phoned Eircon there to see if they could give me a trial of their 24MB Turbo Broadband :D, sure enough no problem once i get changed over i can try it out for a month to see if its any good or reliable but will be charged for the days that i use it and i can downgrade without incurring any fees if its not suitable.

The sales person on the phone said to me that our line can handle a max of about 15MB and i said that will my line be synced at 24MB or 15MB? he couldnt say only that to wait and see when its changed over.

My question now is that will it be synced at 15MB to conserve bandwidth locally or should it be the 24MB?

Line stats

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384 Sync Speed
    SN Margin (dB) 14.00 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 10.00
    CRC Errors 0 4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No idea, nobody has the product yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

strongman wrote: »
    @ Praetorian
    Did you get a in new modem. I was on to Eircom today about upgrade. She told me to ring back on Monday that they have no modems at the moment.

I use the netopia router eircom sent me. Can do 24 meg adsl2+. Maybe you have one of the old school adsl1 modems? Check the modle number online for it's capabilities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No idea, nobody has the product yet.

They never mentioned anything to me about extending my contract, or it starting again. But for lack of UPC or magnet in my area I'm happy enough to stay with them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭darth conway

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 21 dB /12 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 17 dB /18 dB

Any ideas what speed I could get on something like this #?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

About 15MB

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 21 dB /12 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 17 dB /18 dB

Any ideas what speed I could get on something like this #?

As far as I know, it should be rate adaptive - so basically your modem will sync at the max speed possible for your line conditions. So if they have told you your line is capable of 15MB - your line will sync at 15MB meaning your actual throughput will be around 12mb.

John2009 wrote: »
    I just phoned Eircon there to see if they could give me a trial of their 24MB Turbo Broadband :D, sure enough no problem once i get changed over i can try it out for a month to see if its any good or reliable but will be charged for the days that i use it and i can downgrade without incurring any fees if its not suitable.

The sales person on the phone said to me that our line can handle a max of about 15MB and i said that will my line be synced at 24MB or 15MB? he couldnt say only that to wait and see when its changed over.

My question now is that will it be synced at 15MB to conserve bandwidth locally or should it be the 24MB?

Line stats

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384 Sync Speed
    SN Margin (dB) 14.00 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 10.00
    CRC Errors 0 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭darth conway

cheers for that 15mb sounds good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭CFC007

Called Eircon today and was told me line can only handle 10mb even though my exchange isnt on the list in the 1st page :(

Could somebody tell me do my stats reflect this?
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384 SN Margin (dB) 20.30 13.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 34.50 21.00 CRC Errors 1133 2

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

i rang eircom yesterday to be told it would be another 5 months before it could be rolled out, i just ordered it direct from eircom's website and the order page states that my line can handle 17MB.

you might get 12mb at a push but they are probably being safe with 10mb...with an attenuation reading of 34db your probably around 3km from your exchange.

CFC007 wrote: »
    Called Eircon today and was told me line can only handle 10mb even though my exchange isnt on the list in the 1st page :(

Could somebody tell me do my stats reflect this?
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384 SN Margin (dB) 20.30 13.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 34.50 21.00 CRC Errors 1133 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

ring eircom yesterday to order the upgrade. after not even knowing about it they finaly but it through for me (30mins). the person on the phone was able to give me no onformation about key details.
    1. will the modem i have support the adsl2+
    2. what is the max wifi speed i was prity sure it was 54MB
    3. will the line be locked at the speed you estimate my line is capable off

i was quoted a max of 48 hours for this too take effect, she said i shouldnt be long at all though.

i then called the support staff who told me the upgrade has not gone through yet. he was totaly unaware that eircom where offering a 24MB residential product. he told me that my modem was able to process the adsl2+, and i should upgrade the firmweare which i did. from talking to a communications enginere who i worked with. he informed me that the upstream speed should be roughly a 10th of the downstream speed in order to sustain that speed.

so after it not beeing upgraded today,i ring eircom have a few questions for them. they today tell me that the upgrade cant happen untill the 12th of feburary because an engineer has to be sent to the enchange to turn the upgrade on. why i ask. because your moving to such i high speed, she said. so you have too do this for every person who gets the upgrade i asked her. i cant answer that she said. then i asked her my other questions with no answer.

rang vodafone about 20 minutes later. yes no problem we can do it and it will be active withn a max of two working days, once your acout becomes active with us. no need for the enginer accoring to them.

so my question is. how many people actuly have it and who is responsible for the mess at eircom. no body knows whats going on, they launch a product which no body in the company knows about, they dont have the hardware to provide the service. someone should be shot for this

i dont want to leave eircom, i was happy until i had to deal with them. if anyone can answer my questions here, that would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Any idea what I'd get for the below

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384 SN Margin (dB) 6.50 15.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 15.00 8.50 CRC Errors 207 13
    i rang those idiots at eircom...I've seen my line hit 10 megs before yet they insist that it can only handle 7.6meg.
    I asked for Tech support to upgrade it to the 24meg package just for a quick test on what my line could handle ( even if i was only getting 12-5meg I'd be happy to pay for it) but tech say they cannot upgrade me without sales putting it through and sales say they can't order the package for me as their system tells them I can only handle 7.6meg max...
    yet low and behold I was downloading at approx 860kb/s this evening...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brian kay

i got a new modem 2 weeks ago as my old one went t!ts up.just googled the model zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3 and it's the adls2 modem they will be sending out to everybody. must ring them back and get my broadband upgraded tomorrow

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Scar_L wrote: »

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384 SN Margin (dB) 6.50 15.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 15.00 8.50 CRC Errors 207 13
    i rang those idiots at eircom...I've seen my line hit 10 megs before yet they insist that it can only handle 7.6meg.
    I asked for Tech support to upgrade it to the 24meg package just for a quick test on what my line could handle ( even if i was only getting 12-5meg I'd be happy to pay for it) but tech say they cannot upgrade me without sales putting it through and sales say they can't order the package for me as their system tells them I can only handle 7.6meg max...

Those 'idiots' at Eircom are correct given the snr figure above. I am amazed that with such a low snr you are not getting a lot of disconnects. The attenuation suggests you must be pretty near the exchange but the snr and the crc errors suggest there is something not great at all about your line.

Eircom would be doing you no favours at all if they upgraded you.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

anoble66 wrote: »
    you might get 12mb at a push but they are probably being safe with 10mb...with an attenuation reading of 34db your probably around 3km from your exchange.

Would you get the full 700k upload speed with an attenuation reading of 30db or under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

860kb/s = 6.7Mb

• Advertisement

860kb/s = 6.7Mb

doh!! forgot teh bloody 8bits to a byte part :D

still ..screw eircom..

dub45 wrote: »
    Those 'idiots' at Eircom are correct given the snr figure above. I am amazed that with such a low snr you are not getting a lot of disconnects. The attenuation suggests you must be pretty near the exchange but the snr and the crc errors suggest there is something not great at all about your line.

Eircom would be doing you no favours at all if they upgraded you.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

thanks..well we've having the usual connection issues since they started to upgrade the exchange...m

of course our line is only about 1.5 year old...I have a funny feeling they split it into 3 as they tried to delay us till the estate had been finished.
    they wanted to do it 3 houses at a time but we made a comreg complaint and eircom got off their ass..
    the weird thing is it's been running absolutely perfect for the first 16 months...never been one single issue with latentcy or ping but ever since they started to upgrade the exchanges to 24meg crap latenty and speed between 5pm and 12am.

you in Cork/Limerick then ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

860kb/s = 6.7Mb
    no it's 7.87mbps :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    you in Cork/Limerick then ??

in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

digme wrote: »
    no it's 7.87mbps :D

Well show me your maths, and I'll tell you how your wrong :)

in Limerick

Ahhh, wonder how I guessed that ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Well show me your maths, and I'll tell you how your wrong :)
    dont need to , im correct :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

digme wrote: »
    dont need to , im correct :)

No you're not, its 6.88 Mbps like CS said :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Is this a completly new product. What I mean is I'm on a 3MB package that rarely achieves the full wack, does not even sync at full 3072 sometimes and I've been told in the past by Eircom support that my line is not capable of the full 3mb's. I normally get approx 2.2 - 2.5MB's download speed(on a test). As I don't even get the full 3 megs at the mo is there any point in me getting the 24MB package. I am about 3 klicks from the Blanchardstown exchange and my line is pretty old. If I even got 15megs or so from the 24meg package it would do.These are my stats:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2944 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 60.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 238 8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement