Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom now offering up to 24mbits to home users

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

These are my stats:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2944 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.50 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 60.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 238 8

You'd not see any improvement on ADSL2+ with that 60.5dB attenuation. If you're 3km from the exchange, your line will easily be 4km long which rules out line faults... Afraid there's not much hope in the phone line for you, with any technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is this a completly new product. What I mean is I'm on a 3MB package that rarely achieves the full wack, does not even sync at full 3072 sometimes and I've been told in the past by Eircom support that my line is not capable of the full 3mb's.

Your attenuation is very high, and SNR is very low. This is not a good combination. With 60dB attn, you won't get more than about 2.5Mbps on either ADSL or ADSL2+. So changing over will be a complete waste of time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Based on the information that was posted in this thread about the product being a MINIMUM 11mbit product....as much as a Max 24mbit product I did some analysis in the Ireland Offline forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055814272

This product is available across as little as 6.5% of the state ( an area the size of Donegal) and certainly across no more than 15.4% of it at most......have we 2.5 Donegals handy or 1.5 Corks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Axwell wrote: »
    No you're not, its 6.88 Mbps like CS said :rolleyes:
    your correct, i forgot about the BYTES lol dam it anyway fair play :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

ADSL Link

Downstream 7616 kbps
    Upstream 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation 32.0 db 21.0 db
    Noise Margin 11.8 db 12.0 db

Current stats are above...if i went for the upgrade what kind of speeds would I be looking at?

• Advertisement

You are on the margins for the 24mbit product, expect 13-15mbits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

What about:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 13.00 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 46.50 27.00
    CRC Errors 5 1

Not looking too good for me?
    Think we're on the 3MB package...always just synced at 2 though... (think we were on 2 before they upped everyone one speed?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

you should still be getting 3mb on that line..

What about:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 13.00 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 46.50 27.00
    CRC Errors 5 1

Not looking too good for me?
    Think we're on the 3MB package...always just synced at 2 though... (think we were on 2 before they upped everyone one speed?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

For anyone thinking of an upgrade or wanting to understand line stats and the potential of their line this link (and the links from it) is very useful:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Don't forget always to to check your internal wiring, dsl filters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 9.30 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 9.00
    CRC Errors 1168 11

These are my stats, where I placed my order with eircom their line checker told me that 17MB is the max i can get, does this look ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I'm only a few hundred metres from our exchange here in Glanmire so would probably be able to get close to 20MB, however the exchange is unfortunately on the NOT list. Anyone know if Eircom are actively upgrading exchanges these days? I'm already paying full whack for the 7.6MB product, so a bump to something near 24MB would be quite the consolation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Haven't read the thread sorry. My Eircom Line started to disconnect and reconnect for 5 mins just now, and now it says it is connected at Down Stream=8128kbps, Up Stream=512kbps.

Are eircom upgrading the 7mb package?

701297227.png

Nate

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kenny111 wrote: »
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 9.30 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 9.00
    CRC Errors 1168 11

These are my stats, where I placed my order with eircom their line checker told me that 17MB is the max i can get, does this look ok?

Your SN Margin is not great and I would be very surprised if any significant upgrade did not result in a lot of line drops. Have a look at the links I posted just above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

i ordered a new line with eircom last week .i got the deal where the line rental is being waived. i was told 48 hours to be connected etc. a few days later the modem arrives and im getting around 0.7 down. with a ping of 200ms.

So call eircom, no one can understand. Im also told i wont be connected until the 5th Feb---exchange has to do this and that etc.

Heres what i sent to eircom connect.

I have moved into a new apartment and have become a new eircom customer taking out a bundle with 7mb broadband. The Router arrived today. I connected it but i was only receiving 0.5-0.7mbps, ping of 120-200ms.

Its connected on a pc through the eternet cable. no wireless is available on the pc.

I rang eircom support who said my broadband will not be connected until the 5th Feb and they do not know how im getting broadband from the line.

Thats was ok but i then checked the ip address, and it is an eircom ip.

http://whois.domaintools.com/86.41.146.129

Eircom told me the line hasnt been in use for years, while i was originally ordering the package.

I have no problem waiting until the 5th for my broadband but it seems like the line maybe connected already. can you confirm that this is true or false. im just worried that it is connected and these are the speeds im receiving from eircom.

and eircoms reply

I have chk'd your a/c details and line and can see that Broadband has not been enabled on your line so far. It is odd that you should be able to connect. I can only advise that as far as I can see you should have your line on the 5th. If there are any issues with your Broadband after that time please call and I will investiage for you.

has anyone experienced something like this before?

Could it be some dodgy wiring at the junction box entering the apartment block. Might i be picking up someone elses broadband due to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

iknorr wrote: »
    i ordered a new line with eircom last week .i got the deal where the line rental is being waived. i was told 48 hours to be connected etc. a few days later the modem arrives and im getting around 0.7 down. with a ping of 200ms.

So call eircom, no one can understand. Im also told i wont be connected until the 5th Feb---exchange has to do this and that etc.

Heres what i sent to eircom connect.

I have moved into a new apartment and have become a new eircom customer taking out a bundle with 7mb broadband. The Router arrived today. I connected it but i was only receiving 0.5-0.7mbps, ping of 120-200ms.

Its connected on a pc through the eternet cable. no wireless is available on the pc.

I rang eircom support who said my broadband will not be connected until the 5th Feb and they do not know how im getting broadband from the line.

Thats was ok but i then checked the ip address, and it is an eircom ip.

http://whois.domaintools.com/86.41.146.129

Eircom told me the line hasnt been in use for years, while i was originally ordering the package.

I have no problem waiting until the 5th for my broadband but it seems like the line maybe connected already. can you confirm that this is true or false. im just worried that it is connected and these are the speeds im receiving from eircom.

and eircoms reply

I have chk'd your a/c details and line and can see that Broadband has not been enabled on your line so far. It is odd that you should be able to connect. I can only advise that as far as I can see you should have your line on the 5th. If there are any issues with your Broadband after that time please call and I will investiage for you.

has anyone experienced something like this before?

Could it be some dodgy wiring at the junction box entering the apartment block. Might i be picking up someone elses broadband due to this?

Maybe it had 1/2 mb before.

When i moved the flat it had a 1mb connection, now i have a 8mb connection!

Nah, eircom confirmed twice that it hasnt been in use for nearly 3 years.

Im completely lost by this.

Very odd, it has a 1mbit package on it which with overhead = 0.7 delivered. Otherwise the tooth fairy is supplying DSL. Some lazy sod in eircom never ceased it 3 years ago.

You would wonder whether eircom has counted this in its 700,000 DSL customers all that time :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Very odd, it has a 1mbit package on it which with overhead = 0.7 delivered. Otherwise the tooth fairy is supplying DSL. Some lazy sod in eircom never ceased it 3 years ago.

You would wonder whether eircom has counted this in its 700,000 DSL customers all that time :)

Would a ping of 120 to 200 be normal for 1 mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Any hope with these stats?
    Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 9285 348

Flankerb wrote: »
    Any hope with these stats?
    Line Attenuation (dB) 52.00 31.50
    CRC Errors 9285 348

I Never heard of ANYBODY getting 6mbits with stats like that :eek:, I woulda thought 3 MAX , stably. How far away is your exchange???

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Where can I find a list of enabled adsl2 exchanges?

I'm on a subsidiary exchange and these seem to get overlooked when ISPs set about upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

I would say 2kms as the crow flies but around 3-4kms in reality.
    Its been very stable never get disconnects downloads between 500k and 600k. Pings can be a bit **** at times 120ms. Was on 3meg and pings were good 60ms so maybe I should step down. If only upc would come to my estate.

Phlann PM me the name of that sub exchange and I will check it

Flanker those numbers look like around 6km. 3-4km line length means you will do not better on ADSL2 than the package you have right now. The speed bump is only available out to 3km (line length) max.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

So my line is ok, but I can't migrate across to Eircom right now because the company they use to handle migrations has apparently not been informed that Eircom are providing 24meg broadband and therefore can't process the order right now. Joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7168 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 42 db 12.5 db
    Noise Margin 12 db 29 d

Would I see any benefit with these stats? I think I'm doing fine getting 7mb at the moment. Thnks

This may be a silly question but where do you get these stats from?

Nate

your netopia router on http://192.168.1.254/ in expert mode stats dsl

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    your netopia router on http://192.168.1.254/ in expert mode stats dsl

Ah I thought as much unfortunately. I have my own router, it doesn't have that feature. I was kinda hoping it was on Eircoms website somewhere.

Nate

I am sure it does, even the most basic of basic routers should allow you to see your line stats somewhere. Look for a diagnostics page or adsl status page.

• Advertisement

no, afraid your not going to see any speed increase....your lucky to be getting 7mb to be honest.

gambiaman wrote: »
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7168 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 42 db 12.5 db
    Noise Margin 12 db 29 d

Would I see any benefit with these stats? I think I'm doing fine getting 7mb at the moment. Thnks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement