Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom now offering up to 24mbits to home users

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

anoble66 wrote: »
    I am sure it does, even the most basic of basic routers should allow you to see your line stats somewhere. Look for a diagnostics page or adsl status page.

Seems you are correct in a way. Googling revealed that I had to enter a Debug mode, then Telnet into the modem to get the stats.

Have to admit they mean nothing to me, could somebody let me know what to look for?

Edit:- Apparently 16 for line attenuation is very good according to this......... http://fremnet.net/article/216/adsl-theoretical-speed-calculator
    AR7 DSL Modem Statistics:
    --------------------------------
    [DSL Modem Stats]
            US Connection Rate:     512     DS Connection Rate:     8128
            DS Line Attenuation:    16      DS Margin:              11
            US Line Attenuation:    9       US Margin:              12
            US Payload :            1063872 DS Payload:             85104
            US Superframe Cnt :     6849    DS Superframe Cnt:      6849
            US Transmit Power :     0       DS Transmit Power:      0
            LOS errors:             0       SEF errors:             0
            Frame mode:             3       Max Frame mode:         0
            Trained Path:           1       US Peak Cell Rate:      1207
            Trained Mode:           3       Selected Mode:          1
            ATUC Vendor Code:       414C4342        ATUC Revision:  1
            Hybrid Selected:        1       Trellis:                1
            Showtime Count:         1       DS Max Attainable Bit Rate:     10240
            BitSwap:                1       US Max Attainable Bit Rate:     n/a

[Upstream (TX) Interleave path]
            CRC:    2       FEC:    0       NCD:    0
            LCD:    0       HEC:    68

[Downstream (RX) Interleave path]
            CRC:    0       FEC:    0       NCD:    0
            LCD:    0       HEC:    0

[Upstream (TX) Fast path]
            CRC:    0       FEC:    0       NCD:    1

[Downstream (RX) Fast path]
            CRC:    0       FEC:    0       NCD:    0

[ATM Stats]
            [Upstream/TX]
            Good Cell Cnt:  22164
            Idle Cell Cnt:  118434

[Downstream/RX)]
            Good Cell Cnt:  1773
            Idle Cell Cnt:  2230211
            Bad Hec Cell Cnt:       0
            Overflow Dropped Cell Cnt:      0

[SAR AAL5 Stats]
            Tx PDU's:       1081
            Rx PDU's:       684
            Tx Total Bytes: 1037509
            Rx Total Bytes: 68045
            Tx Total Error Counts:  0
            Rx Total Error Counts:  0

[OAM Stats]
            Near End F5 Loop Back Count:    0
            Near End F4 Loop Back Count:    0
            Far End F5 Loop Back Count:     0
            Far End F4 Loop Back Count:     0

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

anoble66 wrote: »
    no, afraid your not going to see any speed increase....your lucky to be getting 7mb to be honest.

:) I thought I was pretty lucky to be getting a good speed like that where I am. Thanks anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Will this reduce ping times going from a 7mb line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Maskedgameguru

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 8128 800
    SN Margin (dB) 11.50 7.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 6.00 5.00

What about these stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Plug your stats in here and find out yourself

http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Anybody get connected yet on Vodafone? Ordered on 28th. Told it would take 48 hours but no sign of connection or modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭iknorr

i got the same from eircom. 48 hours for the phone line to be set up. 10 days for the broadband to be activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

It's not availible from the Rochestown exchange either which isin't listed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SLAPPINGTHEBASE

Rhode Exchange is also not available for the 24mb upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

It doesn't appear to be available on the Quaker Road exchange on Cork southside either.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭assasins creed

Valentia wrote: »
    Anybody get connected yet on Vodafone? Ordered on 28th. Told it would take 48 hours but no sign of connection or modem.
    i ordrered it of eircom on 29th and it wont be completed till the 12th of feb and thats upgrading from the 7 meg bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Is this going to be extended to Business users or is it still going to be 99 euro ex vat per month without line rental?

What's with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭grumpygit

i have got my 7meg upgraded to 24 today

ny stats before upgrade were

7616 connection rate
    12,50 s/n margin
    20.50 attenuation

I have still not been supplied with a new modem but results on old modem after testing with http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ are

download speed 13089
    upload 649

my max download according to the modem is 15355
    Hope to see an improvement when I get the new modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

grumpygit wrote: »
    i have got my 7meg upgraded to 24 today

ny stats before upgrade were

7616 connection rate
    12,50 s/n margin
    20.50 attenuation

I have still not been supplied with a new modem but results on old modem after testing with http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ are

download speed 13089
    upload 649

my max download according to the modem is 15355
    Hope to see an improvement when I get the new modem

Lucky you. Those who have attenuation of 20 or lower are in the sweet spot. Unfortunately I am at 35 :( which is about 2.5km from the exchange.

ADSL_Line_Rate_Attenuation.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭alexindublin

Probably a dumb question but do i need to get onto Eircom to find out my local exchange and how far away it is?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Probably a dumb question but do i need to get onto Eircom to find out my local exchange and how far away it is?

No, as already discussed, your line stats should give a decent enough estimate of distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Is there any point to upgrade to 24mb if the network is already heavily congested? I'm just wondering if I was to upgrade, it would surely mean I'd just be going as slow as always during peak times?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭kenny111

I placed my order last friday with Eircom, today I got two emails, the first telling me that my order cannot proceed as i already havve broadband on my line and the second telling me that my order cannot proceed as another company is supplying my broadband.

My phone line and broadband have only ever been with eircom, is this likely to be another typical eircom mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Ordered 24mb a week ago, got email next working day, nothing else happened, eircom states extra job required in exchange :) , does anybody knows - can i have cool-down period for 2weeks after i start using the upgrade? Now i have 8mb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

kenny111 wrote: »
    I placed my order last friday with Eircom, today I got two emails, the first telling me that my order cannot proceed as i already havve broadband on my line and the second telling me that my order cannot proceed as another company is supplying my broadband.

My phone line and broadband have only ever been with eircom, is this likely to be another typical eircom mess.

Thats gas!...if it wasn't soo pathetic and typical of €ircom, absolute shower of muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rushdie

Any ideas on what speed I could get if the upgrade exchanges in Drogheda

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 9.50 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 32.00 20.00
    CRC Errors 1852048 4035

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I assume the Bray exchange is on the enabled list. All this talk of line attenuation and SNR's reminds me of the days when I couldn't get BB in a housing estate in Bray. What made my line failure so annoying at the time was my grandparents 150 year old house in another area of Bray who's phoneline was probably installed by the Royal Post and Telegraph passed the line checker while mine didn't. Once Eircom removed the need for account numbers in their line checker app I was able to put in neighbours phone numbers and discovered nearly everyones lines including my next door neighbours was BB capable but not our own house. At least I knew it was worthwhile ordering a new line. The day before I was going to order the new line eircom vans arrived and started running new lines to everyones houses from the road through ducting they had dug up our gardens for 5 years previously :D Got me BB without needing to pay for a new line.

That was years ago. I really feel for anyone still on dialup. I'd go insane without BB.

Anyway. We moved to since deceased grandparents house last year. The line still passed. I ordered 7.6mbit BB on the line. Got the full speeds with a Line attenuation of about 16 and an SNR of 7. The attenutation figure matches up with being within 1km of exchange. (Probably 1/3 of that as the crow flies)

Can I ask the following. I know a low SNR figure is bad. But is it an issue with the line from the exchange to the house or the internal wiring in the house or a combination of both? Its just the house is gutted at the moment for renovation and all the ancient Royal Post and Telegraph wiring is coming out and brand new wiring going in. Can I expect my SNR to improve much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I doubt the British "General Post Office" installed any telephone lines in this country except for govt. administration and perhaps banking customers.

Probably our former Dept. of Posts and Telegraphs or the semi-state Telecom Eireann which was spun off from it.

I would not expect a massive improvement. I would expect a reasonable improvement if you were to change to ADSL2+. No matter how low attenuation can be, rarely does signal margin go over 12dB for 8 mbps customers from the reports I've seen on boards. Unless you are noticing disconnects, the cable replacement won't make a noticeable difference to your continued enjoyment of broadband.

Fixing up 20 metres of cable in your house would still leave you with a kilometre of eircom wiring that hasn't been upgraded and with potential faults. Still, upgrading what you can will surely help prevent problems even if it's not much of a difference. It won't cost much to do if renevations are going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

The Royal Post and Telegraph thing was somewhat tongue in cheek just to indicate the phone wiring in the house is ancient. Massive exageration of course. I know its not pre 1922 :D

I know my Attenuation figure will be good. As I said it was 15 or 16 when we were down there which the site checker from the first page says is good for 21mbits. No point in checking with eircom now cause we ported the number to the rented house and their checker will probably just give me the accurate speed stats for the line in the rented house instead of the renovated house.

What effect does a bad SNR have on BB. Is it only the likelyhood of disconnects or does it have an effect on speeds too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I didn't answer the question very well above so I clarified my post a bit:)

SNR is easily pictured if you think of hearing and speaking. Signal is what you're saying. Noise is, well noise. If there is no noise around you could wisper and the other person will still hear you clearly. If you're surrounded by lots of noise like at a concert you'll have to speak much slower (the DSL connection connects at a slower speed) or else you'll have to repeat yourself or even just give up until it's less quiet (the DSL line gets errors, then it disconnects and reconnects)

Just like speaking at a concert, the modem has to communicate more slowly so that the exchange can "hear" your signal successfully.

So a low SNR can cause low speeds and/or more disconnects. Low speeds prevent disconnects but higher speeds cause disconnects so it's all about striking a balance.

Btw, the modem reports the lowest Signal Margin over all the frequencies that the connection will use. It can happen that the extra higher frequencies with ADSL2+ would work much better than a dodgy ADSL1 frequency, what's called a "tone" or "carrier". So you could get a good speed boost despite there being an apparently low signal margin. It all depends on each individual line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cant get ADSL2+ on Dunshaughlin exchange either, perhaps never.

would I get around 12megs if it was available?

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7616 672
    SN Margin (dB) 7.50 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 35.00 20.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

you wont get more than your current speed on ADSL - if your exchange were to be upgraded to ADSL2 then you would get between 10-13 MB.

Gonzo wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

Gonzo wrote: »

You have the same stats as me except both my SN Margins are 12 and they told me I would only get 11Mb so they would not sell it to me and my exchange is ADSL2 enabled!

Mine are.

SN Margin (dB) 12.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 35.0 17.5.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

You have the same stats as me except both my SN Margins are 12 and they told me I would only get 11Mb so they would not sell it to me and my exchange is ADSL2 enabled!

Mine are.

SN Margin (dB) 12.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 35.0 17.5.

They should have a 12meg adsl2+ package for many of us who can only get between 10 and 15meg on adsl2+. I'd much rather have 11meg than 7.6meg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can yea tell anything from these stats ?

Line Mode ADSL2
    Line Power State L0
    Line Coding Trellis On

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 1152 Kbps 507 Kbps
    Noise Margin 17.9 dB 20.2 dB
    Line Attenuation 51.5 dB 28.3 dB
    Output Power 12.8 dBm 0.0 dBm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement