Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom now offering up to 24mbits to home users

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tusky wrote: »
    Can yea tell anything from these stats ?

Line Mode ADSL2
    Line Power State L0
    Line Coding Trellis On

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 1152 Kbps 507 Kbps
    Noise Margin 17.9 dB 20.2 dB
    Line Attenuation 51.5 dB 28.3 dB
    Output Power 12.8 dBm 0.0 dBm

It's a long line, but should be getting better than the 1 meg and change it currently is on. Noise margins are okay. Are there any CRC errors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Spear wrote: »
    It's a long line, but should be getting better than the 1 meg and change it currently is on. Noise margins are okay. Are there any CRC errors?

Its supposed to be 3mb. How do I check for CRC errors ?

Its not this is it ?
    Interface Tx packets/Errors Rx packets/Errors
    Tx bytes/Drops Rx bytes/Drops
    Ethernet 48908/0 46533/0
    8537131/0 5419947/0
    Wireless 10693210/351 9346653/0
    458084809/0 2147483647/0
    WAN 8116819/0 10759189/59299
    3077117712/0 813818704/0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

as spear says, you should be getting 5mb even on that line...notice your on ADSL2....you might be better asking if you can be dropped back to adsl..you might sync at a better speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

Eircoms contention ratio is the killer. 48 - 1 is a joke if you expect to get anywhere near their advertised speeds, particularly at peak times. I had a 3 meg package and was fine for a couple of years as the contention ratio when I signed up was 24-1. Then they changed it, without notice, to 48-1 and at peak times everyday I was lucky to 700kbps:mad:. Anyway left them to go to Homevision and it looks like they're doing the same thing now, upping the contention ratio to 48-1 from 24-1:mad:. I'm not sure if this is a breach of contract as I signed up because it was 24-1. Can I get out of the contract now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Its supposed to be 3mb. How do I check for CRC errors ?

Its not this is it ?

Shows errors on the line alright, good change it's due to noise, hence the low sync rate. Can you hear crackling on the line through the handset?

• Advertisement

anoble66 wrote: »
    as spear says, you should be getting 5mb even on that line...notice your on ADSL2....you might be better asking if you can be dropped back to adsl..you might sync at a better speed.

Hmm. BT told me the line couldnt handle more than 3mb.

Shows errors on the line alright, good change it's due to noise, hence the low sync rate. Can you hear crackling on the line through the handset?

Yeah theres a definite crackling at times on the landline.

Yes, they are correct...because their ADSL products go from 3mb to 8mb....there is no 5mb etc.

So basically your max speed is 3mb - but at present your only getting 1mb. If your getting noise on your line, crackling etc then report it - once they get this sorted out you should get your 3mb.

Hmm. BT told me the line couldnt handle more than 3mb.

As mentioned, report it to Vodafone and see if they'll sort it. Claim the start of it coincided with past heavy rains/snow or something.

Yes, they are correct...because their ADSL products go from 3mb to 8mb....there is no 5mb etc.

So basically your max speed is 3mb - but at present your only getting 1mb. If your getting noise on your line, crackling etc then report it - once they get this sorted out you should get your 3mb.

Hmm. So by that rational if there was a company offering 5mb DSL I could avail of it ?
    As mentioned, report it to Vodafone and see if they'll sort it. Claim the start of it coincided with past heavy rains/snow or something.

Will do.

In theory yes, but unfortunately there isnt any that I know. You see the problem is, most of the providers are just reselling eircoms dsl, which is 1mb, 3mb, 7.6mb and now "up to 24mb" if your on a adsl2+ enabled exchange...but thats only available if eircom detect they could provide a minimum of 12mb

Hmm. So by that rational if there was a company offering 5mb DSL I could avail of it ?

Will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

any1 able to tell me about my line stats please..thanks

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 16.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 45.00 25.00
    CRC Errors 13204 0

In theory yes, but unfortunately there isnt any that I know. You see the problem is, most of the providers are just reselling eircoms dsl, which is 1mb, 3mb, 7.6mb and now "up to 24mb" if your on a adsl2+ enabled exchange...but thats only available if eircom detect they could provide a minimum of 12mb

Smart offer 5mb.

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Value_5Mb.aspx

vorbis^cs wrote: »
    any1 able to tell me about my line stats please..thanks

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 16.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 45.00 25.00
    CRC Errors 13204 0

Close to 7 megs under ideal conditions, but you're already low on the SNR on the upload, and already showing errors and noise as it is. Anything faster is risking exposure to frequent disconnects. As with Tuskys case earlier, is there audible noise on the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Was wondering if you could shed some light on my stats.
    I normally get well over 5MB with the stats below, on my current package.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6144 384
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 38.00 23.00
    CRC Errors 104 25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SN Margin (dB) 6.00 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 38.00 23.00
    CRC Errors 104 25

Marginal, I doubt if eircom will offer you 24mbits because it will not really do the minimum 12mbits

As with Tuskys case earlier, is there audible noise on the line?

Just to double check before I decide on anything. My line should be ok for 5mb with Smart ?

Only smart would be able to tell you that, give them a call and they will check for you, you have nothing to lose by asking.

Just to double check before I decide on anything. My line should be ok for 5mb with Smart ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

Close to 7 megs under ideal conditions, but you're already low on the SNR on the upload, and already showing errors and noise as it is. Anything faster is risking exposure to frequent disconnects. As with Tuskys case earlier, is there audible noise on the line?

not sure what you mean by audible noise sorry, but my stats seems to change regularly when i do check and my CRC errors return to 0
    i have no idea why this happens, i am 1 of the unlucky 1s that gets really bad speeds from 8:00-11:30pm with eircom for the past month. could this have anything to do with it??

vorbis^cs wrote: »
    not sure what you mean by audible noise sorry, but my stats seems to change regularly when i do check and my CRC errors return to 0
    i have no idea why this happens, i am 1 of the unlucky 1s that gets really bad speeds from 8:00-11:30pm with eircom for the past month. could this have anything to do with it??

I mean audible noise when you listen on the handset. The CRC error count goes to 0 when it gets reset, possibly by the modem rebooting, or the connection being lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

I'm in Bray and ordered 24mb 2 days ago, came back this eve to find it had increased:
    I have the silver netopia router:

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 17405 765
    SN Margin (dB) 7.50 17.40
    Line Attenuation (dB) 21.50 8.50
    CRC Errors 8 0

here's a speedtest result:
    712911189.png

• Advertisement

hmm, interesting, I just updated the software on the modem from nwta770r3 to nwta770r6 and the connection results changes slightly:

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 17405 765
    SN Margin (dB) 8.00 18.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 20.00 8.50
    CRC Errors 0 0

wondering why i'm not getting 20+mb DL if line attenuation is 20db

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

LOL!...because even if you LIVED in the exchange you'd never get 24MB, 13 meg ain't that bad, how far from the exchange are you?

No idea. Dunno where the exch is in bray. Lemme find out.

So. Eircom are offering something that technically isn't possible?

This sounds insane. If I buy 40 litres of petrol but only get 10???

Ok. Think it's in Galtrim Park which is less that a kilom away

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just wondering if these stats are any good?

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 18.00 13.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.50 11.00
    CRC Errors 2 20

Im about 1km from exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Gr1f wrote: »
    No idea. Dunno where the exch is in bray. Lemme find out.

So. Eircom are offering something that technically isn't possible?

This sounds insane. If I buy 40 litres of petrol but only get 10???

You're missing the key words "up to". The farther away from the exchange you are the lower your speeds will be. That's just the way the system is, it was never designed for high capacity bandwidth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It still amazes me what they have done with copper, I vaguely remember some doubts they had 20 years ago about 14.4kbit modems and whether they would get them working properly.

Now we have 14.4mbit dsl services on the exact same copper 20 years later.

Heh sure but has anyone actuallyanaged those speeds at all?? Sounds to me like a serious case of false advertising.

Anyway. I'm happy enough that I managed to double my previous speed. Which was a 7mb. One thing I find interesting tho. I was able to download at ~750kb on my 7mb line

yeah sounds right, 750kb x 8 = 6mb

Gr1f wrote: »
    Heh sure but has anyone actuallyanaged those speeds at all?? Sounds to me like a serious case of false advertising.

Anyway. I'm happy enough that I managed to double my previous speed. Which was a 7mb. One thing I find interesting tho. I was able to download at ~750kb on my 7mb line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

This website allows you to put in your downstream attenuation and then calculates your possible speeds.

It got my line distance spot on and gave me a result of 21696kbps with 16.50 attenuation. Only a rough guide too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement