Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom now offering up to 24mbits to home users

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

I've taken the 24MB upgrade from Eircon for a 1 month trial to see how it goes, i still have the Netopia 2247 modem but i'm not sure wether i should get their newer modem that Eircon supply for this Superfast connection :D

Will the older modem be responsible for the restriction in speed? I feel like it should be another 3 or 4MB more.

Line-Stats.png

714733680.png

10263651.png

Those results are wireless out in my bedroom with the modem about 20 feet away

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

Eircom sent me on of the Zyxel modems today and i plugged it in to see if it changed anything. Interesting, Line noise is down, but speed is reduced a bit.

SL2+
    Speed: 17404 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 18 dB /9 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /15 dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hmm i'm not to sure about this, was kinda expecting abit more than 13mb from a 24MB package.

Gonna ring tech support to get a newer modem dropped out to me and see how it fairs for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

looks like it won't make a difference as i just posted,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Has anyone synced higher than 17meg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 p4ddyv

I'm on the Palmerstown exchange in Dublin 20 which is on the list of exchanges that do not support ADSL2+.

I applied for the upgrade through the vodafone website and I'm currently syncing at the following

ModulationType: ADSL2+

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 670 9213
    MaxRate(kbps) 1186 19412
    NoiseMargin(dB) 22.1 9.7
    Attenuation(dB) 34.5 15.9
    Power(dBm) 12.4 18.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

jaysus, what did you do that for?? Your paying for a 24MB service and only receiving 9MB - 1MB above what you were getting previously....they shouldnt of really processed that request....in fact I am surprised they did.

p4ddyv wrote: »
    I'm on the Palmerstown exchange in Dublin 20 which is on the list of exchanges that do not support ADSL2+.

I applied for the upgrade through the vodafone website and I'm currently syncing at the following

ModulationType: ADSL2+

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 670 9213
    MaxRate(kbps) 1186 19412
    NoiseMargin(dB) 22.1 9.7
    Attenuation(dB) 34.5 15.9
    Power(dBm) 12.4 18.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

They can only tell what the attenuation will be before doing the order. For 15dB attenuation, the connection speed should be much higher than 9 mbps. I've got 27 dB attenuation and I still get 19 mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 p4ddyv

Well they are saying there is still a fault on my line, Eircom are due to come out on Tuesday morning to clear this...

long story short I was on the 7mb package with BT, moved to Vodafone to the upto 8mb phone and bb and it went down to less than 1mb

So... this is where its at now. hopefully they can sort out whatever problems are causing this.

I am having a nightmare with Vodafone. Was told I could get 15.36mb on my line....put the order in...and now I am being told Eircom have regraded my line to 6MB and they wont even let me have the 8MB package!

My line stats are perfect, 22db downstream...and have not changed so I dont know what this crap is about.

Trying to get to the bottom of it with VF but they are useless so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

anoble66 wrote: »
    I am having a nightmare with Vodafone. Was told I could get 15.36mb on my line....put the order in...and now I am being told Eircom have regraded my line to 6MB and they wont even let me have the 8MB package!

My line stats are perfect, 22db downstream...and have not changed so I dont know what this crap is about.

theres something wrong with Eircom there, I have 35db downstream and have 7616/672k, altho initially eircom had it set to 5112/512k.

I know yeah but trying to get VF to listen to me is nearly impossible - they will just not question anything that is on their computer screen even if the data is complete rubbish. It doesnt even occur to them that 3 weeks ago I had 8mb from them and my stats are the exact same.

I dont even think I can ring eircom direct about this as my line is with voda

Gonzo wrote: »
    theres something wrong with Eircom there, I have 35db downstream and have 7616/672k, altho initially eircom had it set to 5112/512k.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They can only tell what the attenuation will be before doing the order. For 15dB attenuation, the connection speed should be much higher than 9 mbps. I've got 27 dB attenuation and I still get 19 mbps.

Does the attenuation change when moving from ADSL1 to ADSL2+?

for instance right now im on 7616/672k and my attenuation is 35/20db which is not the best. Would moving my line to ADSL2+ lower my attenuation and increase my chances of passing an ADSL2+ test and getting 12meg? My exchange still doesnt support ADSL2+ tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

John2009 wrote: »
    I've taken the 24MB upgrade from Eircon for a 1 month trial to see how it goes, i still have the Netopia 2247 modem but i'm not sure wether i should get their newer modem that Eircon supply for this Superfast connection :D

Will the older modem be responsible for the restriction in speed? I feel like it should be another 3 or 4MB more.

Line-Stats.png

714733680.png

10263651.png

Those results are wireless out in my bedroom with the modem about 20 feet away
    I wouldn't trust speedtest. This is what I just got on an 8mb line:

716338099.png

And I regularly get 8mb+ speeds on it. My line attenuation is 38db yet I've been told I can have the 24mb package by VF. This is exactly the sort of shinanigens I've been discussing on another thread. What gives them the right to sell people muck? Just because they say its only an "up to" product? Are our consumer laws really that fickle?

Vodaphone and Eircom should release and 'up to 12meg' package for the many people who will be refused the 'up to 24meg' package because they'll get somewhere between 9 and 12 meg in reality. Alot of people would be delighted to have 10-12 meg rather than 7meg.

got so sick of dealing with VF customer care, I emailed Charles Butterworth about my problems this morning, impressively he responded right away....hopefully he will get the right people on to this and sort it out for me....here's hoping.

anoble66 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Vodaphone and Eircom should release and 'up to 12meg' package for the many people who will be refused the 'up to 24meg' package because they'll get somewhere between 9 and 12 meg in reality. Alot of people would be delighted to have 10-12 meg rather than 7meg.
    Can anyone get above 12-15mb? "Up to" 24mb is a load of baloney. I think comreg need to crack down on this marketing loop hole. So what exactly does one need in order to get 24mb? It should be written in the T&C's. They have obviously done some sort of test to be able to claim it can go up to 24mb, so come on what was the test? I'm guessing it was carried out in scandinavia and its actually impossible to get 24mb in Ireland.

Agree with you 100% Gon!!

I can only get 10Mb on my line, I would upgrade if eircom offered an up to 12Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Does the attenuation change when moving from ADSL1 to ADSL2+?

for instance right now im on 7616/672k and my attenuation is 35/20db which is not the best. Would moving my line to ADSL2+ lower my attenuation and increase my chances of passing an ADSL2+ test and getting 12meg? My exchange still doesnt support ADSL2+ tho!

When I moved from ADSL to ADSL2+ last year, they had to physically move my line in the exchange from the ADSL DSLAM to the ADSL2+ DSLAM. Once this was done, my download line attenuation was increased by 3dB (so got worse) and my upload line attenuation was decreased by 3dB (so got better). There was no change of router or anything on my side. This was a move onto an eircom business broadband package 12Mb down / 1Mb up. The Eircom Business Broadband ADSL2+ implementation is ADSL2+ Annex M which takes away some frequencies from download, and reallocates them to upload. I'm not certain which implementation of ADSL2+ the new residential package is using though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

douglasman wrote: »
    The Eircom Business Broadband ADSL2+ implementation is ADSL2+ Annex M which takes away some frequencies from download, and reallocates them to upload. I'm not certain which implementation of ADSL2+ the new residential package is using though.

Not Annex M , I think bog standard ADSL2+ is Annex A . It will not support a 1mbit uplink.

• Advertisement

Annex A can do 1 mbit upload, I'm typing on such a connection now. Is that what you meant? I wonder why eircom don't allow the full 1024 however...

Also, attenuation shouldn't change if *just* the type of signals that are sent down the line were changed. Attenuation is just a sort of resistance measurement, but for a particular frequency. E.g. 300 KHz or 400 KHz, which phone line broadband uses. So I could have any sort of signal sent down the line and it will be weakened by 40dB if it was at 400 KHz for example. How much the signal is weakened on a particular frequency is what the modem and eircom reports.

Now, seeing as the line was physically altered and possibly new/different filters employed at the exchange end and different wire routes for the ADSL2+ etc. etc., it's possible that the attenuation change was caused by all that.

Filters add slightly to attenuation even when used correctly, so that's why they should not be used with modems if there's no phone sharing that socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brian kay

well got my 24Mb eircom connection today in ballincollig cork,this is the speed I'm getting:eek: :mad: :confused:

717894172.png

my stats

Speed: 10713 kbps /670 kbps Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 20 dB /9 dB DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /18 dB

was on the phone for 1 hour trying to get the connection fixed with no luck.he was able to get the down load up to 4Mb but it has gone again.but i am experiencing packet loss. so an engineer must call out.

eircom should win company of the year :(

that is bad, you should be getting at least a 15MB connection with attenuation reading of 20db

brian kay wrote: »
    well got my 24Mb eircom connection today in ballincollig cork,this is the speed I'm getting:eek: :mad: :confused:

717894172.png

my stats

Speed: 10713 kbps /670 kbps Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 20 dB /9 dB DSL Noise Margin: 6 dB /18 dB

was on the phone for 1 hour trying to get the connection fixed with no luck.he was able to get the down load up to 4Mb but it has gone again.but i am experiencing packet loss. so an engineer must call out.

eircom should win company of the year :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your snr is pretty disastrous - under 10 and most of the time you will be in trouible. Whats your internal wiring like?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 brian kay

dub45 i had a engineer out just after Christmas because my router went t!ts up.He checked my line and said the line is very good.it's only since i changed over to 24Mb that it has gone bonkers.when i was on 7Mb i was getting 5.5 to 6Mb all the time and my upload was more than i was supposed to be getting, so my line status changed when they switched me over :mad:

brian kay wrote: »
    dub45 i had a engineer out just after Christmas because my router went t!ts up.He checked my line and said the line is very good.it's only since i changed over to 24Mb that it has gone bonkers.when i was on 7Mb i was getting 5.5 to 6Mb all the time and my upload was more than i was supposed to be getting, so my line status changed when they switched me over :mad:

Its not quite that simple each step up in speed puts more pressure on the snr - have a read of this -

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:03:05:50
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 7616 Kbps 672 Kbps
    Noise Margin 10.1 dB 12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 25.0 dB 14.0 dB
    Output Power 7.0 dBm 19.8 dBm

Anyone know what speed I might get? Been told 12!!!!

You attenuation is good/ok. Your SN margin is also ok.

You should get 12Mb+. If your on ADSL2+ you will get around 17Mb according to the above link
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php .

You attenuation is good/ok. Your SN margin is also ok.

You should get 12Mb+. If your on ADSL2+ you will get around 17Mb according to the above link
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php .

Be careful with statements like that. A snr of 10 is going to be put under heavy pressure with any further increases. And I speak as one who is on adsl2 and has a poor snr.

Read the link abover about snr.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Be careful with statements like that. A snr of 10 is going to be put under heavy pressure with any further increases. And I speak as one who is on adsl2 and has a poor snr.

Read the link abover about snr.
    This isn't worded very well and sounds a bit too technical so I apologise to anyone who can't follow it or isn't arsed to:)

It's not quite so simple. The modem reports the lowest signal margin of all of the working tones by the DSL connection. The SNR could appear to be low because of a coincidence in a particular frequency that the modem has noise issues with for some reason. This is especially likely in a case of all the tones being used, like with 7616 kpbs interleaved connections. So if that person changes to ADSL2+, there are twice as many tones for the modem to choose from while still maintaining e.g. the 6dB or 8dB signal margin as set by the DSLAM.

Also, there's a difference between SNR and Signal Margin. In ADSL1, an SNR of 6dB is the same as a signal margin of 0dB, which should result in the connection being dropped. (Because the minimum SNR for the minimum amount of data sent over a tone is that). ADSL2 and ADSL2+ can send just one bit per tone so an SNR of 3 db results in a disconnect. It's one of the main reasons why ADSL2 has a somewhat longer range and/or higher stability.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement