Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom now offering up to 24mbits to home users

1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

so all modems report the lowest single tone, cripes there must be 50 of them for 24mbits.

It would be much better were they to show all of average median and lowest .

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Is there an idiot's guide (Ladybird version, preferably) to the broadband jargon?
    It would appear to me that there are only about a half dozen technical terms, but they have me bested!

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ainiseoir wrote: »
    Is there an idiot's guide (Ladybird version, preferably) to the broadband jargon?
    It would appear to me that there are only about a half dozen technical terms, but they have me bested!

Thanks

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Thank you.
    It seems to be the business!
    I've bookmarked the link for a quieter moment.
    Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

I've ordered the 24meg from Eircom but my lack of patience is why i'm asking this now!

My SN Margin is 12.50 or so, attentuation is 16.50 for download and i'm on 7.6Mb at the moment.

The katz website says I can do up to 21Mb (id say it'll be below that) but how much would the SN Margin drop with such an increase in speed? Is there a general estimate or just have to wait and see?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rushdie

Ordered 24mb upgrade last thursday, seems to have been in the process of changing over today as it has been down for six and a half hours.

DSL sync is back but now there is just no connection to the net, just red light on internet connection.

Is there any settings i need to change on the modem to get it to re-sync properly for the internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hey guys. Ordered the 24 meg broadband from Eircom during the week. Currently have 7meg and get pretty good speeds. Just wondering if any of you would be able to tell me what kind of speed I'm likely to get when I get the upgrade. Thanks.

* Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 28.50 15.00
    CRC Errors 0 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

orderd the upto 24mb myself knew when signing up i wouldnt get the full 24, but checks a few sites before hand and was told i was looking at 15-16mb so thought i can cope with that

got it in anyway and now my line Attenuation has changed from 28dB/12dB to 32dB /16dB whats the craic there?

with the 28dB/12dB it was sayin my line could take 16512kbps
    and now with the new one of 32dB/16dB its saying i can only get 13824kbps

is this a error or is it defo the most my line can handle?

these are my line stats

eircom Broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 32 dB /16 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 9 dB /18 dB

and im getting these speeds out of it

771338906.png

14049972.png

i think im on the patrick street exchange in drogheda could be wrong tho as its defo not 2k's away from my house, more like one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

dazdrog wrote: »
    orderd the upto 24mb myself knew when signing up i wouldnt get the full 24, but checks a few sites before hand and was told i was looking at 15-16mb so thought i can cope with that

got it in anyway and now my line Attenuation has changed from 28dB/12dB to 32dB /16dB whats the craic there?

with the 28dB/12dB it was sayin my line could take 16512kbps
    and now with the new one of 32dB/16dB its saying i can only get 13824kbps

is this a error or is it defo the most my line can handle?

these are my line stats

eircom Broadband: Connected
    DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps

and im getting these speeds out of it

771338906.png

14049972.png

i think im on the patrick street exchange in drogheda could be wrong tho as its defo not 2k's away from my house, more like one

If you apply the 13.xdb rule per KM, it looks like that the distance by phone line to the exchange is around 2-2.5km, while it may physically only be less than a KM, the lines might traverse another path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

dazdrog
    These are my stats
    14116756.png
    772314560.png

We are probably in the same boat.
    I would say you have been put on the 15mb profile and you are syncing around the 12500-13000 on your line and only getting 10mb from your theoretical 24mb package.

Ring broadband support and ask them to set you on a higher profile and see if you can get faster speeds from them.

If like me even on a higher profile you line syncs at the same speed as your previous profile then you are stuck with your current speed.

• Advertisement

my line is synced at 12287 kbps /670 kbps

gonna give them a ring in the morning see if i can get put up one profile and see if i can get the interleaving profile lowerd too

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

Hi guys ,
    anybody tell me is this any good and what speed i could upgrade too

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168/384
    SN Margin (dB) 14.40 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.00 10.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Thank you;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hi guys ,
    anybody tell me is this any good and what speed i could upgrade too

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168/384
    SN Margin (dB) 14.40 18.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 16.00 10.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

Thank you;)
    It's pretty good. I wouldn't want to second-guess the exact speed but I would be suprised if 14mbps at least wasn't possible. You're less than a mile from the exchange.
    dazdrog wrote:
    my line is synced at 12287 kbps /670 kbps

gonna give them a ring in the morning see if i can get put up one profile and see if i can get the interleaving profile lowerd too
    If you lower the interleaving on the line, you're making it more likely for disconnects to happen. Increasing the line speed up to maximum will also increase the likelihood of disconnects. A double whammy effect. Even if you're not too far from Patrick St, the main routes for cables seem to be very awkward and don't go by the fastest way by foot. If you live to the north or east of the exchange, i.e. towards the Lourdes, then the wiring more closely matches your actual distance. But if you lived on the Rathmullan road for example, the wires would have travelled nearly 3 km to get there. Even though you can see the exchange from the Ramparts!

Basically, you won't get much more speed out of the line. Probably 13 mbps. Getting rid of all interleaving will really run the risk of dropouts so if ping times are important then keep the speed and get rid of interleaving. You have been put on the 12 mbps profile (which would give a sync speed of 12288/672. Pretty much what you have).

If you lower the interleaving on the line, you're making it more likely for disconnects to happen. Increasing the line speed up to maximum will also increase the likelihood of disconnects. A double whammy effect. Even if you're not too far from Patrick St, the main routes for cables seem to be very awkward and don't go by the fastest way by foot. If you live to the north or east of the exchange, i.e. towards the Lourdes, then the wiring more closely matches your actual distance. But if you lived on the Rathmullan road for example, the wires would have travelled nearly 3 km to get there. Even though you can see the exchange from the Ramparts!

Basically, you won't get much more speed out of the line. Probably 13 mbps. Getting rid of all interleaving will really run the risk of dropouts so if ping times are important then keep the speed and get rid of interleaving. You have been put on the 12 mbps profile (which would give a sync speed of 12288/672. Pretty much what you have).

live up behind moneymore myself, only signed upto the upto24mb service as i was on the fone to the sales rep and they tested the line and said it was able for 15-16mb! i normally have these calls recorded but forgot to record this one, so i cant use it against them when i ring up tomorrow to give out about it. so im not happy with the 12mb they synced me upto

with my original line stats of 28dB/12dB it looked like 15-16mb was possible

why would my stats of changed so much? so 13mb would b my line max with my new stats of

also at the min the lines stable enough am getting around 9.5-11mb anytime of the day, it never goes lower then 9mb, its the upload speed i really want to improve on, as its sole reason i upgraded, would ya say ive any chance of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

need some opinion on the following...

currently on eircom 7mb down / 384k upload (not ngb yet)

using the netopia 3347NWG modem

using 7.5 firmware on this modem i got these stats

s/w: 7.5 netopia 3347nwg
    Downstream: 7168
    Upstream: 384

SN Margin Down: 20
    SN Margin Up: 10

Line Attenuation Down: 16
    Line Attenuation Up: 7

---

i updated the routers software to 7.7.0r6.. and got the following

SN Margin Down: 14
    SN Margin Up: 18

Line Attenuation Down: 13

-

what the heck has caused this change, to me it seems im now getting worse results on the new software, the SN margin is a bit worrying now, attenuation seems good, im only around 0.9km from the exchange

the eircom site says my line could handle 17MB, but with these stat changes im not so sure now

anyones opinion appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

BArra wrote: »
    need some opinion on the following...

currently on eircom 7mb down / 384k upload (not ngb yet)

using the netopia 3347NWG modem

using 7.5 firmware on this modem i got these stats

s/w: 7.5 netopia 3347nwg
    Downstream: 7168
    Upstream: 384

SN Margin Down: 20
    SN Margin Up: 10

Line Attenuation Down: 16

---

i updated the routers software to 7.7.0r6.. and got the following

SN Margin Down: 14
    SN Margin Up: 18

Line Attenuation Down: 13

-

what the heck has caused this change, to me it seems im now getting worse results on the new software, the SN margin is a bit worrying now, attenuation seems good, im only around 0.9km from the exchange

the eircom site says my line could handle 17MB, but with these stat changes im not so sure now

anyones opinion appreciated

Hi ... the lower 'line attenuation' the better so this could indicate your stats have actually improved. (20 to 14)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Yes but my sn margin has suffered which is bad though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BArra wrote: »
    Yes but my sn margin has suffered which is bad though?

As long as it doesn't go too low (like 6dB or less), then no.

Also, this has nothing to do with the old thread you dragged up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement