Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW Longlife04 vs Longlife01 Castrol Oil?

• 27-01-2010 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

I was in Halfords yesterday trying to get some oil for my car (BMW 320D).

The oil left in the boot by the garage at the last service was Castrol 0W/30 SLX Professional (BMW Longlife04).

All Halfords had in was Castrol Edge 0W/30 (BMW Longlife 01).

The guy at the till said the oils were the same, but I'm suspicious as the BMW codes are different.

Should I use the oil I got from Halfords? If not, where could I get the Castrol 0W/30 SLX Professional?

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Not sure, but if the guy at the tills was right that would be a Halfords first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a difference between edge and the SLX branded one which is typically the longlife oil.
    Its likely that being 0W30, the oil is fine for topping up your car but might not meet the longlife criteria.
    Maybe check out the castrol website for your car specific oils.

I wonder if the garages are so exact when servicing cars?

They surely wouldnt have any more than a few types of oil in bulk from which all the cars would be filled. Many small garages seem to have two barrels just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Castrol Edge replaces/supersedes SLX.

There seems to be a sport variant that conforms to LL4 see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 0W30 is the one that's the same oil as the SLX Professional and is also LL04.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_167268_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I've a 320D aswell and I read somewhere that LL04 and LL01 are fine. In fact 0W30 and 5W30 are ok in the 320D as long as they meet the spec. I bought mine a couple weeks ago and topped up with Castrol edge 5W30 LL04 to keep me going till I get her serviced next week. Edge is castrols top quality oil btw, better than slx :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement