Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Garda unit to be based in Salthill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I know one of the lads who is being trained up for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Michifuz

Oh, I have to update my plans now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hold on, they're basing an ERU in Salthill... an area that has not got a huge crime/drugs/anti-social behaviour problem.

It's also on the west-side of the city, when all traffic comes from the east, and any outgoing crime (ie. stolen cars etc.) will most likely be heading east.

This idea is so idiotic i'd believe it's true! I love this country yeeehaw!

Maybe they can start shooting dog's that sh1te on the prom (or their owners who don't clean it) cause that's about as exciting as it's gonna get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Michifuz

I am sure they have all planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hold on, they're basing an ERU in Salthill... an area that has not got a huge crime/drugs/anti-social behaviour problem.

It's also on the west-side of the city, when all traffic comes from the east, and any outgoing crime (ie. stolen cars etc.) will most likely be heading east.

Maybe they can start shooting dog's that sh1te on the prom (or their owners who don't clean it) cause that's about as exciting as it's gonna get.

If you know anything about the eru, you'll know that they don't sit around waiting on calls they are constantly moving. Salthill will just be a place for them to get changed and park. I'd imagine galway city gardai station would be to cramped already to support another unit. So imo its not idiotic at all.

• Advertisement

Michifuz wrote: »
    I am sure they have all planned.

Judging by where the planned location is, i'd say they've hardly planned an efficent way of scratching their arse.

Think Road Wars on SkyOne. They are based in Slough in London, a place riddled with crime and drugs.

A good example... what if I robbed a bank in town and had a high performance car... i'd have a massive head start over a unit based in Salthill.

Now, imagine if the unit were based at the new site opposite GMIT - Chances are the cops could just be sitting there (or close by) with stingers to catch the criminals as they pass trying to escape the city

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    If you know anything about the eru, you'll know that they don't sit around waiting on calls they are constantly moving. Salthill will just be a place for them to get changed and park. I'd imagine galway city gardai station would be to cramped already to support another unit. So imo its not idiotic at all.

Only some of the Dub ERU unit who I had the pleasure of spending an evening with. They're not 'always' out and about, and they're often keeping out of eye's way unless needed - but then again this was Dub and last summer - things could have changed.

Why not use the site that was aquired opposite GMIT? Salthill is cramped as f00k too you can hardly park a car there, and the building is quite small

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah John, these boys aren't here to fight crime. They're being trained up and equipped to thwart your doomsday machine and evil plans for world domination. Better get moving sunshine! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Not got a huge crime problem? Salthill doesn't have any crime problems! I guess they're just looking for some base to stash them in.

But in fairness I don't exactly want to have high speed garda cars tearing passed my house at 4 in the morning.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah John, these boys aren't here to fight crime. They're being trained up and equipped to thwart your doomsday machine and evil plans for world domination. Better get moving sunshine! ;)
    Feck, how did they know where it was?!
    Zapho wrote: »
    Not got a huge crime problem? Salthill doesn't have any crime problems! I guess they're just looking for some base to stash them in.

But in fairness I don't exactly want to have high speed garda cars tearing passed my house at 4 in the morning.
    +1

I honestly don't see why Salthill would be used as a base, it's as cramped as Mill St and it's smaller. I'd say on any given day there's only 2/3 free parking spaces there and from what I can see, nearly all the space in the building is being used and it doesn't look like there's space for development. They might squeeze a porta-cabin in there, but defo not another building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

But the views are nicer in Salthill...

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sandy Wedge

Like someone said they will be floating around the city and county, they will not be waiting in salthill station for a call, its probally a base for equipment etc, if the new station opposite the GMIT ever gets built I'm sure that is where they will be based, I wouldnt be doing an armed robbery in Briarhill or Oranmore presuming I have a 15 minute head start cause they are based in salthill, theres a programme called "the World's dumbest criminals" you could be making a guest appearance yet!!

I wouldnt be doing an armed robbery in Briarhill or Oranmore presuming I have a 15 minute head start cause they are based in salthill
    Right, so if you *could* rob a bank, knowing that you'd easily get the loot, would you prefer to rob the bank in Salthill, or in Oranmore? Knowing that the ERU are about 1min away from you in Salthill, god knows how long in Oranmore
    theres a programme called "the World's dumbest criminals" you could be making a guest appearance yet!!
    Yes, because everyone here know's that i'm Galways version of 'The General' :rolleyes:

Right, so if you *could* rob a bank, knowing that you'd easily get the loot, would you prefer to rob the bank in Salthill, or in Oranmore? Knowing that the ERU are about 1min away from you in Salthill, god knows how long in Oranmore

Yes, because everyone here know's that i'm Galways version of 'The General' :rolleyes:

Hope you dont end up like the general but your definately heading for the guest appearance! :D

Hope you dont end up like the general but your definately heading for the guest appearance! :D

Right, and i'm doing that how?

Damn n00bs, might wanna pull that sandy wedge out of your hole

theres a programme called "the World's dumbest criminals" you could be making a guest appearance yet!!

It's actually called "America's dumbest criminals"

Before you try being a smart arse, at least get your facts right by doing some research first. Award for 'Clown of the Day' goes to... YOU. Well done

Only some of the Dub ERU unit who I had the pleasure of spending an evening with.

That copper face jacks is some spot! Are you sure it wasnt a bunch of male nurses you were talking to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Knowing that the ERU are about 1min away from you in Salthill, god knows how long in Oranmore

They're not the ERU, they're a Regional Support Unit. And as a regional support unit, half the time they'll be well away from the city and out around the rest of the region.
    At least if they're based out in Oranmore (by the dual carriageway) they can get to Gort/N18 and up to Claregalway/Tuam on the N17 or out to Athenry/Ballinasloe on the M6 nice and fast as opposed to going across the Quincentenal bridge from Salthill with all the traffic that exists there between 8am and 8pm.

rubensni wrote: »
    They're not the ERU, they're a Regional Support Unit. And as a regional support unit, half the time they'll be well away from the city and out around the rest of the region.
    At least if they're based out in Oranmore (by the dual carriageway) they can get to Gort/N18 and up to Claregalway/Tuam on the N17 or out to Athenry/Ballinasloe on the M6 nice and fast as opposed to going across the Quincentenal bridge from Salthill with all the traffic that exists there between 8am and 8pm.

Fair enough bad wording on my part in that post, just had ERU in my head from previous post

• Advertisement

Judging by where the planned location is, i'd say they've hardly planned an efficent way of scratching their arse.

Think Road Wars on SkyOne. They are based in Slough in London, a place riddled with crime and drugs.
    The road wars team are a road crime unit rather than an ERU.
    Most police there are armed afaik.

I agree that Slough is rubbish though.

I agree that Slough is rubbish though.

Tell me about it - I bought a car from there :eek: I'm just waiting for it to appear on Road Wars one of the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Well the Traffic Corpse:pac: base in Oranmore hasn't done much to deter the muppets with the bean tin exhausts around the village or on the N6 within earshot of the station

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement