Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Pubs in London

Options
  • 27-01-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hello all,

Bit short notice but Ill be in London tomorrow night (Thurs) and looking for any recommendations for pubs in London. Ideally looking for quite lively places but with reasonable prices (dont want to fall into any tourist traps). Im meeting people in Covent Garden but will have all-day tube pass and are quite keen to see a few places (even make a bit of a crawl out of it!).

Anyway, if youve any recommendations please let me know (and any decent Irish pubs! :D).

(Hope this post is in the right section.. did try access boards.org.uk but seems to be down at the moment)

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I quite like De Hems which is near Leicester Sq tube. I can't recall the prices unfortunately.

There is a Porterhouse in Covent Gdn. Will get pretty busy on a Thursday night though.

Prince of Wales is another useful one on the edge of Covent Garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Not sure about Covent Garden but I love Tiger Tiger in Piccadilly, it's really cool and cosmopolitan. Lots of suits there, varied music, 3 dance floors, great cocktails, cheap bar food.

A lovely tradiational pub is the Rose & Crown on Old Park Lane near Hyde Park. It looks like you walked into the Queen Vic! They serve these amazing triple decker burgers and they have the best bangers & mash & mushy peas. Nyom!

Camden has a ton of cool rocker bars like The World's End.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Thanks guys, Ill try check some of them out if I can!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Black Horse off Tottenham Court Road is pretty good.

Closer to Kilburn, the Black Lion has been my favourite pub since I moved here - lovely atmosphere, friendly staff and a decent selection of beer.

In terms of Irish pubs, the only thing I'd say is avoid O'Neills - about as Irish as San Miguel, and the only experience I've had of going to one in central London has involved gimboid doormen and an over-crowded bar.

At the other end of the scale, there's a properly Irish old man bar called Father Ted's on Willesden Lane that's worth a look. Bit out of the way if you're not already popping up towards Kilburn though.

Advertisement