Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belmayne

Options
  • 27-01-2010 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Belmayne estate off the Malahide Rd? I know the developer pulled out there a few years ago. Has there been any updates or does anyone know anything about it being finished. Has anyone bought there and if so whats it like?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

It does get mentioned here ...
    http://www.irishcentral.com/story/roots/ireland_calling/ireland-the-country-of-empty-ghost-houses-82185972.html

Maybe someone can post the text it's blocked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 That Dave Fella

My dad bought an apartment up there and it's going to be finished February of this year.

It was scheduled to be finished last September but cause the developer moved out it was delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

mathie wrote: »
    It does get mentioned here ...
    http://www.irishcentral.com/story/roots/ireland_calling/ireland-the-country-of-empty-ghost-houses-82185972.html

Maybe someone can post the text it's blocked for me.
    Today just 40% of the planned 2,650 houses and apartments are occupied, even though parts of the estate were completed more than two years ago. The builder is bust and the bizarrely named Belmayne may never be finished properly.

Families who bought there have few of the facilities they were promised. Investors are letting to out of work immigrants at minimal rent.

Prices have almost halved, and everyone is deep in negative equity. It's only half finished and it's a sad, lonely place to visit.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Jeez that's depressing reading. And horribly true.
    I know Belmayne and the area.What's built is a tiny percentage of what the overall development should have been. You are close to the M50 and the Malahide road. There is a huge Tesco nearby. On the other hand, you are a stone's throw from Darndale, Donaghmede and Coolock. There are 3 large itinerant camps in the very near vicinity. There are not a lot of facilities there, aside from the Tesco, a Meadow's and Byrne and a BOI, all beside the Hilton at the corner of the Malahide road and the n32.
    We looked at Belmayne way back in 07 and wrote it off, as we didn't like the layout - it just looked like an architect had twisted houses and apartments around and around until the max amount possible fitted into the area given to him.
    Okay, what I'm saying is this....location-wise it's close to a lot of things. As an overall area goes, I personally wouldn't touch it. Now that doesn't tell you what kind of people are living there...it could be full of really nice people, who look out for each other. At the end of the day though, you've got to weigh that against the fact that you will be living in the middle of what is a huge building site indefinitely, with hoardings around everything. If you can stand that well and good.
    I'm not running it down. I'm just telling you as someone who knows the area what it's like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

My friend works with a girl who bought an apartment there. She unfortunately didn't notice the travellers until she'd signed the contract. Last halloween they were deliberately firing flares and rockets at people's windows for fun...

She also had two junkies living in the entrance lobby of her building for several days after they broke the door to gain entrance. Left discarded needles on the floor. Nice place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Belmayne Isnt right beside the travellers they are up the road so they would have had to Drive into the estate? Are you sure your not thinking about Northern Cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Some pretty scary stories on their forum:

http://www.balgriffin.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1699

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Belmayne Isnt right beside the travellers they are up the road so they would have had to Drive into the estate? Are you sure your not thinking about Northern Cross?

Hmm maybe I am...he said there's just a wall separating her block of apartments and the traveller camp.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Hmm maybe I am...he said there's just a wall separating her block of apartments and the traveller camp.

That would be Clare Village at Tesco!!

Ah right. I thought that entire area was called Belmayne. My mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 hop

affordable houses that didn't sell in the development have been given to the council for social housing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

As I drove past yesterday I noticed a large sign ...
    ‘3 and 4 bed houses from 245K’

3 years ago a 4-bed was selling for 485K
    http://www.irishpropertywatch.com/viewSalesPropertyHistory.php?Ext_ID=146737&Site=daft

Remember the ‘5e><y living’ that they used to advertise.
    Not very 5e><y now eh?

http://www.belmayne.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I wouldn't live in any of these new areas because of of unfinished estates with sky high mgt fees. The wise would buy in a settled area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gurramok wrote: »
    I wouldn't live in any of these new areas because of of unfinished estates with sky high mgt fees. The wise would buy in a settled area.

It'll be very interesting to see how the government address this. Conditions of planning permission have been the establishment of management companies and the vesting of all common areas in these companies. There was a deliberate policy of stopping councils from taking housing 'into charge'- and a commensurate run down in the revenue given to local councils. If councils are expected to step into the breach and maintain these ghost estates- who or how are these maintenance/tidyup operations going to be funded?

smccarrick wrote: »
    It'll be very interesting to see how the government address this. Conditions of planning permission have been the establishment of management companies and the vesting of all common areas in these companies. There was a deliberate policy of stopping councils from taking housing 'into charge'- and a commensurate run down in the revenue given to local councils. If councils are expected to step into the breach and maintain these ghost estates- who or how are these maintenance/tidyup operations going to be funded?

Belmayne is far from a ghost estate my sister lives there and the place is lovely in there I suggest yous would look at these areas before sticking your nose in the Air, decent people live in these places and a lot of people on boards seem to enjoy poking fun at them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

My Grandparents lived in Balgriffin village for years and it was a beautiful sleepy litte place. All those houses and apartments have ruined it. :(

Jen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Belmayne is far from a ghost estate my sister lives there and the place is lovely in there I suggest yous would look at these areas before sticking your nose in the Air, decent people live in these places and a lot of people on boards seem to enjoy poking fun at them:eek:

Balmayne is less than 1/3 constructed, and of those units which are fully constructed and sold- almost 25% are vacant. This is far from unusual- if you go to places like Lucan- you'll find fully completed estates with even higher vacancy rates.

How exactly you define a ghost estate- is open to debate- however Belmayne is considered as such by the ESRI (as indeed is Adamstown in Lucan and some other well known estates on Dublin's outskirts).

I don't see how my comments about councils taking estates such as Belmayne or Ashford Downs in charge is sticking my nose up in the air. Management Companies are not pulling their weights- and in any case- councils are providing facilities and amenities free of charge in older estates- so why should residents face a form of double taxation? We have a good management company thread in this forum where we debate all this.

My comment was how would councils fund taking charge of many of these estates- as the central government has allowed their revenues and their capacity to raise revenue diminish.

I'm not sure why you think I have my nose up in the air?

smccarrick wrote: »
    Balmayne is less than 1/3 constructed, and of those units which are fully constructed and sold- almost 25% are vacant. This is far from unusual- if you go to places like Lucan- you'll find fully completed estates with even higher vacancy rates.

How exactly you define a ghost estate- is open to debate- however Belmayne is considered as such by the ESRI (as indeed is Adamstown in Lucan and some other well known estates on Dublin's outskirts).

I don't see how my comments about councils taking estates such as Belmayne or Ashford Downs in charge is sticking my nose up in the air. Management Companies are not pulling their weights- and in any case- councils are providing facilities and amenities free of charge in older estates- so why should residents face a form of double taxation? We have a good management company thread in this forum where we debate all this.

My comment was how would councils fund taking charge of many of these estates- as the central government has allowed their revenues and their capacity to raise revenue diminish.

I'm not sure why you think I have my nose up in the air?

I wont argue I dont wanna end up being Banned Mods are right everyone else wrong!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I wont argue I dont wanna end up being Banned Mods are right everyone else wrong!!! :(

I think you're being too sensitive. Smcarrick said nothing that would indicate any snobbery or that he was poking fun at those in such areas.

I realise that you have close family living there but I don't see anything in what SmC posted to indicate any sense of snobbery or casting any aspersions of people living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

I live very near Belmayne and have done for the past 27 years! the travellers that live there have been there a long long time and its only one family as far as I know...its a bit of an eye sore alright when your driving down the Malahide road. Its a good ten minutes walk from Belmayne however. You have a giant Tescos and gym in between!!!

Belmayne is also near enough Darndale but far enough away for it not to be a problem IMO. I've lived near darndale my whole life and theres never been a problem with the people who live there...Over the past few years there has been less and less problems with that area and apart from the teenages that hang around the area, its quiet enough. You are only about 7km from town and Swords. malahide is only down the road about 5km too so its very central.

As an area, you could do a lot worse...however Belmayne is still not finished and I cant see it being finished any time soon. It is extremely over populated with rows and rows of terraced houses on top of each other without a drive way! The people who live there must be gutted about how much they originally spent on these. All around the area there are developments unfinished and its such a shame as it could of been quite nice. As a local I wouldnt be inclined to buy there and it wouldnt be because of the location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Stay well clear, I rented a house here in 07 just after they were built and within months the place was falling apart. Leaks through windows, showers broken, walls cracking , brand new equipment stopped working. The walls are paper tin and most town houses feel like large apartments, they look nice, have plenty of room would I buy there though?

Not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If anyone in belmayne gets any problems with the bathrooms let me know. I know where all the plumbing supplies came from and because I am a nice chap(and bored) i will help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aidzo

Lads that sounds terrible...who was the developer that went bust ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

The far side of the estate looks like a barren wasteland and the houses themselves seem to lack that cosy 'home' feeling. Plus, there are a huge gaps throughout the estate that will probably never be filled. As like most people, I've also heard disaster stories from family friends living there of the houses literally falling apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Aidzo

Who is the developer ??

LM Developmets... Leo Meanagh. Plumbers were Nalif Mechanical.. Alan Filan

They were my biggest customer at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squonk_ie

Well I speak as someone who lives in Belmayne. I previously lived in Baldoyle for the previous 48 years of my life and I must say I could not be happier here.

Could it be called a ghost estate? Absolutely. Have the finished what they have done already properly? Indeed they have. I looked at a huge amount of properties all over the north side before deciding to move here and while Belmayne is not 100% ideal it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

As for quality of construction all I can say is that my apartment is built extremely well. I have no issues at all and it was actually finished in 2008. I have not heard any noise from my neighbours either side of me or below me.

So all I can say is that negative comments about Belmayne may be a little unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

LM Developmets... Leo Meanagh. Plumbers were Nalif Mechanical.. Alan Filan

They were my biggest customer at one stage.

LM Developments were Leo Meenagh and Donal Caulfield.

LM Developments were Leo Meenagh and Donal Caulfield.

OK so i was not as techanical as you. My apologies. The developers were asked i just showed how the name came about.

Sorry Donal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

squonk_ie wrote: »

As for quality of construction all I can say is that my apartment is built extremely well. I have no issues at all and it was actually finished in 2008. I have not heard any noise from my neighbours either side of me or below me.

So all I can say is that negative comments about Belmayne may be a little unfair.

Drove around there last week. Frightfully scary place. Couldn't get over how narrow the roads are, how close the apartments are to one another, the lack of parking, the cars thrown everywhere, and the lack of sizeable communal space. Looked like the place was less than half occupied as well. Are you sure there are actually neighbours and that there isn't no noise due to this?

Drove around Balgriffen too. That was as bad although at least they have decent transport in the form of the DART.

Advertisement