Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 radiator not working

• 27-01-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Can anyone help ive got 9 rads and 1 rad has stopped working downstairs.
    it dose not seem to be air locked as i have bleed the rad.
    The pipe or valve where the hot water is meant to enter the rad dose not heat up at all.

Thinking there was probably an air lock further down the line in the pipe before the rad, i bleed the rad for about ahalf an hour and got about 12 litres of cold water. (no hot water or air)
    Everything else looks fine, all other rads are grand and there is water in the expansion tank.

As far as i know the water that enters the rad, stems off from upstairs
    and dose not give or receive water from any rad down stairs.
    I would be greatfull if anyone has any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

dvae wrote: »
    The pipe or valve where the hot water is meant to enter the rad dose not heat up at all.

Thinking there was probably an air lock further down the line in the pipe before the rad, i bleed the rad for about ahalf an hour and got about 12 litres of cold water. (no hot water or air)
    Everything else looks fine, all other rads are grand and there is water in the expansion tank.

Turn off all the working rads and leave the cold one on,see if it heats up. I had a similar problem,was caused by low pressure in the system.Topped up pressure,prob sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Thanks i will give it a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mwin80

to add to the above suggestion - if you turn off all other rads and the bad one heats up then don't turn all the others again all at the same time. Turn them on 1 by 1 over the course of a few hours. I had a similar issue - when i turned all the good rads back on at the same time then the prob came back but when it did it 1 by 1 the prob was sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

hi dvae just a few questions how many rads are down stairs. do you know were the pump is for the rad, find the pump have the heating on and with a flat screwdriver undo the screw in the middle of the pump and very lightly put the screwdriver in the hole you should feel the pump spinning, try this just in case your pump is sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

dvae wrote: »

Did you check to see if the output valve from that rad is open or stuck maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Sorry its taken a while to get back, there are 4 rads down stairs and the pump is working fine. As far as i know the rad valves are also fine.

I turned off all the other rads like said above and the rad came on, but as soon as i try to turn on even just 1 rad it goes off.
    It dose not matter what rad i turn on first it still goes off.

I can have all the rads on and the kitchen rad off or the kitchen rad on and and every other rad off.

It would be funny if it was not my house.

Thanks for help so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Sounds like low pressure? Is there a pressure gauge on the system? Most times this is in the hotpress. If there is,whats it reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

Advertisement