Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the new vodafone BB worth it?

• 27-01-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

I have VF at home BB and am quite happy with it. Its upto 7 meg, but in reality, I get about 4.8 which I am fairly happy with.

I see they have now launched upto 24 meg for only a few quid more.

If 7 meg gives me just under 5 meg, then would I be right in thinking that 24 meg should give me 10 to 15 meg?

Am I on the right track or will I be stuck around 5 meg still.

I know its down to what the line can give me, but at the moment it can only "give" 5 meg.

Anyone have any idea what I may get from upto 24 meg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
    Enter your line attenuation there and it'll give you an idea.

I entered 50dB, at a guess, which indicates a line length of 3.6km and DSL speed of 4832kbps, which seems pretty close to what you're getting. Unfortunately for you, it indicates a max ADSL2+ speed of 5152kbps, which isn't much better. You'd be looking at a new contract and new pricing structure for a marginal gain.

If your line can't currently get 7Mbps, then it's unlikely to get anywhere near 24Mbps (or even 6 or 7Mbps).
    internodeadsl2distance2ib.jpg

As soon as speed starts to drop when using ADSL, you'll be way down the graph on ADSL2+ too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Nice one JOR EL

While very disappointed in your answer, thats exactly the kind of information I wanted.

I am currently using the basic vodafone white router which I cannot see in the list of "how tos".

I will log into it when I get home and see what it says, then put it into that website.

So, its looks like I may be wasting my time upgrading....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

jor el wrote: »
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
    Enter your line attenuation there and it'll give you an idea.

I entered 50dB, at a guess, which indicates a line length of 3.6km and DSL speed of 4832kbps, which seems pretty close to what you're getting. Unfortunately for you, it indicates a max ADSL2+ speed of 5152kbps, which isn't much better. You'd be looking at a new contract and new pricing structure for a marginal gain.

If your line can't currently get 7Mbps, then it's unlikely to get anywhere near 24Mbps (or even 6 or 7Mbps).
    internodeadsl2distance2ib.jpg

As soon as speed starts to drop when using ADSL, you'll be way down the graph on ADSL2+ too.

that site is bang on the money, entered my details and it gave the exact stats i have on my router. i bet not many will be able to get the high speeds
    thanks for that,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

I'm supposed to be on an "up to 7mb" line having just moved from BT. I did a speedtest this evening - a few actually - and the max. I'm getting is 590kbps. Absolutely poxy and I'm fuming over this - any suggestions ? (Other than switch provider ! :) )
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/696975316.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

DSL line diagnostics

You can use this page to find out the DSL line parameters.
    DSL interface statistics
    Period Time Transmitted
    blocks Received
    blocks LOF CRC ES SES FEC
    Synchronising 59:32:06 12620168 12620168 0 36 4 0 16848
    Previous synchronisation 00:00:00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    15 min. in progress 00:02:36 9412 9412 0 0 0 0 35
    Today 23:47:36 5084218 5084218 0 9 1 0 4294928236
    Characteristics of the current connection

ModulationType: G.992.1 A (G.dmt)

DataPath: Interleaved

InterleaveDelay: 16
    Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate 512 5120
    MaxRate 1208 5856
    NoiseMargin 12.0 8.7
    Attenuation 31.5 50.3
    Power 1.5 19.8

So, it looks like you were spot on, WOW. Is there anything here that you can see that could be adjusted to improve my speeds.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

244a.png

I entered 9.5db on the site, said my line length was 0.7km, max 8mb under adsl, max 24mb under adsl2+.. is 9.5db my line attenuation or is it like 9.5db plus noise margin?

Advertisement