Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discussion on the Help Desk

Options
  • 27-01-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Think we're going to need a bit more than the vacuous "and the reason is valid", given all the detailed feedback against the system on this thread.
    Helpdesk was traditionally a discussion between the user and an admin. Where the mod's input was needed, the mod was given access to the helpdesk to comment. Giving access is not a difficult process, but maintaining the access list is, because it was easier to leave mods with the access on the understanding that they would only comment when asked.

What started occuring with complaints/ban appeals is that other mods with no relevance in the discussion started putting their oars in á la Feedback.

So to remove the pain of maintaining any kind of access list, what was desired was a system whereby:

1. Any user can start a thread.
    2. The relevant mod can be granted access to that thread only to comment on it

vBulletin doesn't have per-thread permissions. So an alternative was to provide *all* mods with general access to the helpdesk, but with premoderated posts. So comments from the relevant mod could be approved, comments from anyone else are removed.

However, another technical limitation arose there. It wouldn't be possible to pre-moderate moderator's posts, without premoderating *everyones* posts, including the thread starter (it's a limitation caused by usergroups).

This is why we now have the situation where the thread starter's posts are premoderated, but every single post by them is approved.

It's not perfect, but it's easier than maintaining an access list.

If it was possible to not have to premoderate the thread starter's posts, then it would be done.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Would individual HDs for each category not fix (or at least improve) the situation? CMods would be the ones to decide whether cases need to be deferred to Admins, and Mods would have a direct and less public line of communication with the users having the issue, while at the same time maintaining transparency

Just a thought, I'm sure there are flaws to it too though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Would individual HDs for each category not fix (or at least improve) the situation? CMods would be the ones to decide whether cases need to be deferred to Admins, and Mods would have a direct and less public line of communication with the users having the issue, while at the same time maintaining transparency

Just a thought, I'm sure there are flaws to it too though

would 13 helpdesks be more efficient than one tho? and if you change the system, wouldn't it be easier to change one helpdesk?

tbh wrote: »
    would 13 helpdesks be more efficient than one tho? and if you change the system, wouldn't it be easier to change one helpdesk?

It would require more moderation but I don't think it'd be less efficient regarding the end results. I just think that Mods and CMods of each forum should have a more direct say in how their respective forums run, because they're the ones with a better grasp of how things are done in the forums they mod.

I know the current dispute resolution process is designed to make it more direct between mods and users, but the fact that it's not an open system might put some off.

Maybe people would feel more comfortable dealing in a direct and open way with the people responsible for looking after the forum they have an issue in.

It would require more moderation but I don't think it'd be less efficient regarding the end results. I just think that Mods and CMods of each forum should have a more direct say in how their respective forums run, because they're the ones with a better grasp of how things are done in the forums they mod.

I know the current dispute resolution process is designed to make it more direct between mods and users, but the fact that it's not an open system might put some off.

Maybe people would feel more comfortable dealing in a direct and open way with the people responsible for looking after the forum they have an issue in.

but the current hd proceedure is for cmods to deal with an issue before it goes to admins -it's important that that is followed, I agree, because of the points you've raised above. Part of the way we ensure it's followed is to remind users over and over till it becomes bedded in that this is the procedure to follow. And that's part of the complaint that seems to be repeated here, that admins *shouldn't* do that, they should just deal with the complaint.

I'm not splitting hairs with you, I promise, I just don't understand what would be different in the system you're proposing to the one that's already there. My own feeling about helpdesk is that it's the least worst way of doing things, if there's an alternative, I'm all ears.

but the current hd proceedure is for cmods to deal with an issue before it goes to admins -it's important that that is followed, I agree, because of the points you've raised above. Part of the way we ensure it's followed is to remind users over and over till it becomes bedded in that this is the procedure to follow. And that's part of the complaint that seems to be repeated here, that admins *shouldn't* do that, they should just deal with the complaint.

I'm not splitting hairs with you, I promise, I just don't understand what would be different in the system you're proposing to the one that's already there. My own feeling about helpdesk is that it's the least worst way of doing things, if there's an alternative, I'm all ears.

Isn't the system that's in place atm what's causing a lot of people to feel how they feel? The whole ACT thing somewhat relates to how that system works.

Mods & Cmods should be accountable for what happens on their forums.
    The communication between Users and Mods (as well as Admins) should be as transparent as possible

That's just my take on it, I don't know if anyone else would agree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There's one major flaw with the help desk procedure and its one I can relate to. A user can make a nasty allegation against a mod and is told to either PM the mod in question or contact the Cmod. Thats it, end of help desk thread.

The user has achieved what he set out to do and that was to discredit the mod in the eyes of the glaring mass.

I dont think you can call that either fair or equatable.

Isn't the system that's in place atm what's causing a lot of people to feel how they feel? The whole ACT thing somewhat relates to how that system works.
    yes, but it seems to me that the only difference between what we have now and what you're suggesting is that instead of 1 problem forum, we have 13. If you simply split the forum out to 13 forums without making any changes to the system, you'll just have 13 smaller problems.

If you make a change to the system, why not do it in the main HD forum :)

muffler wrote: »
    There's one major flaw with the help desk procedure and its one I can relate to. A user can make a nasty allegation against a mod and is told to either PM the mod in question or contact the Cmod. Thats it, end of help desk thread.

The user has achieved what he set out to do and that was to discredit the mod in the eyes of the glaring mass.

I dont think you can call that either fair or equatable.

totally agree. A user accused me of lying because he misunderstood what happened on thread, and there was nothing I could do about it, even tho he apologised to me in PM.

yes, but it seems to me that the only difference between what we have now and what you're suggesting is that instead of 1 problem forum, we have 13. If you simply split the forum out to 13 forums without making any changes to the system, you'll just have 13 smaller problems.

If you make a change to the system, why not do it in the main HD forum :)

If the main HD forum was to be opened up there'd be a hell of a lot of noise in it, and some issues could be overlooked.

By giving each Cat a HD, the noise will naturally be reduced. And the only input will be from those directly involved in maintaining the individual forums.

If the main HD forum was to be opened up there'd be a hell of a lot of noise in it, and some issues could be overlooked.

By giving each Cat a HD, the noise will naturally be reduced. And the only input will be from those directly involved in maintaining the individual forums.

AHHH - sorry, I understand now. I'd be supportive of that, sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We are getting side tracked.
    The reality of boards now is a bunch of communities with overlaps and divides. Particularly relating to say, motors, soccer, AH, Poker as I'd observe it.
    Now you take an issue in soccer. PM the mod.
    "Feck off pal" says the mod. More politely but not the answer you were looking for regardless.
    This has taken maybe a 24 hour period between ban and response, maybe less.
    PM the c-mod.
    "Sorry sunshine, not a hope."
    Perhaps we're now on day two of said ban.
    Hmmm.
    Post in helpdesk.
    Does the thread get approved automatically? Or does an admin need to approve the thread?
    Hang on, I'll check.
    No it doesn't need admin approval.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64188789#post64188789
    Somebody should delete that.
    So you post your thread. Wait maybe 8 hours to a day for a response from an admin.
    Admin: Usually it's "Did you PM the mod?"
    Poster: "Yes."
    Admin: Did you PM The cat mod?"
    Poster:"Yes."
    Admin:"Well then you're probably wrong if you're in here sonny."
    Poster:"But I reckon it's unfair. Having said that my ban's been lifted now and I can't get any support on my side because despite my issue all of you guys with lots of letters after their name who I've never seen posting on the forum I was banned from have said I was wrong. And all I've seen are a bunch of other people ranting about why x mod is crap and they're all getting banned and everyone in here is saying that they're wrong too. Because they didn't PM a cat-mod."
    Admin looks around. "Don't see anyone in here agreeing with you sonny. Off you pop."
    Poster wanders off grumbling. "Now why in the feck did I bother going through all that crap when all I have seen is a process in which three people tell me I'm wrong one after another for a few days and then my ban gets lifted anyway by the time we're even discussing the issue. With the admins. With nobody speaking for me or on my side at all. Well this system is a load of bullcrap. And I won't use it again."

In fact we should probably rename helpdesk the "You're probably wrong so please don't bother your hole and save yourself from typing those posts at all" forum.

Vs.

Smaller feedback / helpdesk fora for specific communities.
    I mean the biggies, not your pokemon and the like with no posters. /cough thunderdome /cough.
    No pre-moderation. Moderated by the mods whose name you actually recognise because they post in and understand the forum you post in so they have authority as well as the knowledge to make a decision.
    You ask a question. Get an answer from somebody you recognise.
    Specific issues are actually allowed to be discussed.
    (Note you actually getting an answer that isn't "Did you PM x? Did you follow dispute resolution procedure Y? Honestly if you don't even know what the DRP is then I'm already quite sure you're wrong.")

Oh noes. We have unmoderated feedback and theres thirteenz of them. Not just onez now. Oh my god. There are not enough cat pictures. Somebody get me a cat and a hitler moustache.
    Trolls show up.
    Moderators are moderating smaller feedback forums.
    Trolls get warned politely, then removed if persistent.
    Moderators of smaller feedback forum explain calmly to trolls why they trolling.
    Trolls understand. Troll and moderator hug. Boards better place.
    Everyone happier. Dev headache gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

seamus wrote: »

This is why we now have the situation where the thread starter's posts are premoderated, but every single post by them is approved.

I can categorically state that that simply is not the case.

Every single post by an OP in Helpdesk is not approved.

I know, because I'm a victim of it.

Doc, I think you're being unfair in your summary of HD as it is now. Having said that, I think the alternative you suggest is better than how I would summarise HD as it is now :)

Doc, I think you're being unfair in your summary of HD as it is now.

No it's not.

If someone wants to appeal a ban of one week, It can take up to three days for them to get heard in HD. That is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bollockos post is excellent - Plus hes neutral!

In my 2 years + on boards i dont think iv ever a ban being overturned on helpdesk. Kinda reminds of an ex soccer mod who was constantly giving me infractions, gave up after appealing once for the reasons outlines by bollocko above. The process is far too tedious.

Doc, I think you're being unfair in your summary of HD as it is now. Having said that, I think the alternative you suggest is better than how I would summarise HD as it is now :)

Perhaps I was being facetious but I still think my description of why helpdesk doesn't work is wholly accurate.
    BTW we never did get a response to the thread you started there either did we?
    Here it is in case you'd forgotten as it appears everyone else has.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055655851

27/08/2009. I am still waiting by the phone.

We'll be waiting a while yet for a return on that one. Glad it wasn't a request to overturn a ban or something eh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I see the point about how long a helpdesk review can take,Des made some good points about a week ban taken a couple of days.Does anybody have any suggestions about how to improve this process...?

Also should this not have its own thread.

Perhaps I was being facetious but I still think my description of why helpdesk doesn't work is wholly accurate.

We'll be waiting a while yet for a return on that one. Glad it wasn't a request to overturn a ban or something eh?

Good example.

I myself asked a question about a forum I mod, and while the time frame isn't anything like your wait, it's far longer than I expected to wait.

Apparently it's "being discussed". Now that shows a couple of things.

1. There are too many Admins, and a consensus can't be reached, so nobody ever comes back with an answer

2. Requests get forgotten about, which is not an ideal situation

3. Nobody actually wants to address the query for some reason

We need a proper turnaround time for queries. If we were to continually bump threads it wouldn't go down to well either.

Christ almighty, and Admin looked into your one, but they aren't even an Admin anymore.

Unbelievable.

I forgot about that, so I'm not going to blame anyone else for forgetting.

it's like saying I was waiting in A&E for 10 hours with a splinter in my finger - good job it wasn't a heart attack, eh?

but still, I'm not going to disagree with you, and I like your and URLS suggestion of cat-specific feedback forums.

I forgot about that, so I'm not going to blame anyone else for forgetting.

Forgot to get back to a banned user.
    Forgot to look at proposed changes to a forum I never read.
    Forgot to post in the feedback thread relating to admins.
    Forgot to ask a moderator a few more follow ups before demodding.
    Forgot to check with co-mods or cat mods.
    Forgot to explain my decision clearly.
    Forgot to approve a post.
    Forgot to explain to current mods why a newly proposed moderator isn't suitable.
    Forgot that to be polite costs nothing.

Do you still think the current interaction between moderators, posters and admins is working as well as it could be?
    Really?

• Advertisement

Do you still think the current interaction between moderators, posters and admins is working as well as it could be?
    Really?

I don't think that there is anything in the world that is working as well as it could be. But pointing the fact out without suggesting a different way of working is pointless, to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Thought I'd join in on this discussion. I'm not here to dictate anything about the thread itself or make any attempt to keep it on track etc. I just thought I'd respond to questions as best I can and not have you going on a best guess scenario. I am relatively new to the admin stuff but I've been around for a long time. I cant guarantee I have an answer to all of your questions but if I dont, I'll tell you and then go and see if I can find one.

I'd like to start by actually asking a question myself
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Pre-moderated posts for a start.

Also the people allowed to contribute is very restricted to the point where it's essentially a single user against the whole of the admin team plus maybe a mod or two who are most likely to all be on the same side anyway.

the latter part of this statement concerns me. Is this your idea of what a user would think? is this your perception of the helpdesk in general?

I personally would think of the helpdesk as a place for resolution of an issue through discussion rather than a battleground where you face off against your enemies. Ideally, and I do use the word "ideally" instead of "actually" on purpose a user or moderator who has an issue with a decision that affects him or her (I'm just going to use him for now) should be able to post on the helpdesk and discuss the matter with the person that caused the issue and hopefully a neutral third party. Its not meant to be a trial or a fight, its just supposed to be help in resolving the problem. The key word for me would be resolving. It was not meant to be a place for seeking retribution or for character assassaination or mud slinging and name calling. I do see your view on being against the "whole of the admin team". Probably why admins dont all jump into a thread. One or two would respond.more than that would be unusual and only if directly requested. Thats my understanding of it anyway. There may be exceptions but those would have to be considered on a case by case basis and the circumstances examined surrounding the event rather than just the event itself.

The process of helpdesk:

A user posts that a ban is unfair or just wonders why he cant post to X forum anymore. The process is , an admin picks up the thread, checks the user history and posts to see if there is a ban or infraction, if there is the admin checks the reason for the ban. That is then communicated back to the user. If the user says "thats not true" or further objects then the moderator or cmod in question is contacted and brought in to give their side of the story. Sometimes though, this can get messy. One or the other has a momentary lapse in judgement and posts something they shouldnt.

Its a flexible but long procedure that tries to cover all bases. Its not perfect. oversights do happen (proof that admins arent just sub-routines of a network brane!) Admin response adds one timeframe, then mod response or cmod response etc. its not like a phone, its not instant. Trust me, I joined the admins recently and already this has been discussed. I went back through the admin forum and I see it has been discussed in the past.

There is a discussion going on currently concerning this. I dont want to post details as there is nothing solid enough to present yet but I will say that URL's post shares a lot in common with my own and other admin's viewpoint and that is getting a good hearing. Will that be the way things go? I dont know yet. What I would like though, would be for the admins to present possibilities to the mods and cmods and see which way would work best. The admins cant think of every angle and possible failing. All of boards together cant think of every single possibility. I'm pretty sure that we could cover a lot of potential pitfalls (and if we open it up to CT we'd probably all be sleeping with our lights on for a few weeks).

I usually hit th equick reply button and post a huge behemoth essay tl;dr answer to threads but this time I hit the quote button so I wont :)

As I said at the start, I am happy to answer any questions that I am capable of answering and I'm willign to research any answers that i dotn know already. If I dont answer or respond to a question promptly, it may be that I'm either away or I havent had enough of a chance to get into it. But I can assure you that I wwill not ignore any posts aimed at me (if I do, its not intentional so please point it out to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've split this off the de-modding policy discussion in order to keep the other thread intact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Really?
    General post, above as my intro excuse.

Hello.

Where are my manners, I haven't popped my head about the parapet yet:)

Of course it isn't. That's something of a truism as questions go because there's always room for improvement as the corporate manual of crappy questions and answers says. So the answer to the corporate-style "do you think it's working as well could be..." question always has to be "no".

Ignoring the question and dealing with the actual query: No. I can see it from this thread for example (I don't need to use this thread as an example but it's the closest one). As it happens I barely have enough time to read before it's spun off into another direction. I don't make things personal as I'm crap at it but the past page reminds me of my late mother's tactic for arguments. When in doubt, also horse out something that didn't get done months ago as though the particular can be applied to the general in any sort of rational way. Here's a hint: it can't.

That query you've got up there (Dr B) shoud have been sorted months ago. Obviously it was forgotten. That's not really good enough, though to be honest, until we get a proper ticket based system that's going to happen. I'd have bumped the thread a second time. But then I'm not my mother, while I'm polite I'd give it an auld second go rather than filing it away in some sort of Festivus-inspired list of grievances. But it still should have been sorted.

Des, your query should be sorted too. That hasn't been forgotten, it's just nothing's been done since as on the list of priorities it's lower than the stuff that needs to be teased out due to events in the past week and other more pressing matters. I could lie to you but where would be the point in that. Your request is about priority three on the scale from one down to four at the moment. Incidentally there is no priority scale, I'm illustrating the relative importance with a number scale.

Now, condescension. I realise some of you are going to ignore this part as I'm probably on one "side" of the discussion. Regardless of whether it's the side of light or the dark side I brought my own cookies though so that's OK. Put simple, a lot of people could do with putting away a bit of defensiveness. That requires less attacking. I don't see that happening because there's too much egotistical stuff going on here. And I'm waiting for every word of this to be analysed and for me to be requested to explain what I meant by the word "of". or something. I don't have the time so let's not.

It's like one of those Irish debate intervarsities in here. And I very much don't mean that in a positive way.

Incidentally when I ban or infract someone of the replies I get about 90% of them are entirely capitulatory. About 2% of the issued cards are overturned by me when the person responds. Varying reasons: my error, their reasonableness on a one way or the other issue, that kind of thing. I've banned two people from the Politics forum since June so believe me, those people were really acting the tool. And when a response to an infraction is abusive, it's properly abusive. I don';t need to go into the kind of content, virtually every moderator on this site has had some of those messages. But I'll tell you this: despite the number of "sorry about that" messages I receive, I'm pleasantly surprised every single time.

Muffler raised the most useful point of the past 20-odd posts, the issue of where a member makes an allegation against a moderator on a Help Desk thread that's totally unfounded and malicious (and the two ingredients are important), leaving the moderator without a right to reply. That's a problem. That's the relevant stuff I'd like to talk about right now but that's just my preference. Don't worry, it doesn't mean you can't talk about whatever the devil you want to talk about, I'm just more interested in solutions as that's my way. Now, for the small number of you who are more interested in analysing the word "of", that's your opener. Straight lines, not circles.

edit: the "dark side... side of light... I brought cookies" thing seems to be less than understandable. It's a reference to that "come over to the dark side... we have cookies". While many I'm sure will have understood the reference, apologies to anyone who didn't. Of.

Glad to see the Admins have been let off the leash :)

Des wrote: »

who are you accusing of keeping them on a leash des? just so we all know where we stand like.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything.

But to answer you, themselves.

Three Admins come along at once would suggest I'm right.

suggest you're right about what? You're basically saying that the admins had been told not to reply. I'd like to know who you think told them that. Stand over your posts!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've mentioned before that prehaps HelpDesk should have a "Friend of the Court" type person.

Everyone who posts in HD has a grievance. The only people who can respond on that thead are the "Defendants" and the Judges. The OP doesn't have anybody to back him up or help him better formulate his case or even someone who can point to a different occasion on which the isue was resolved in a different fashion.

In short - the OP posts, may get smartassed replies, responds and gets more replies - assuming that his response is approved.

It's extremely onesided and this feeling of onesidedness can only be exacerbated by the poster being in a stressful position (trying to rescind a ban..).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Assumptions tend to be wrong more often than not. In this case you're wrong. I try not to assume. I type what I want when I have time so as I said above, I'm interested in the actual topic rather than the side-whateverthatisthatmakesnosensetome. I can get in a reply before teatime if there's something to reply to.
    suggest you're right about what? You're basically saying that the admins had been told not to reply. I'd like to know who you think told them that. Stand over your posts!
    I'm sure Des can answer for himself but no-one has been told to reply or not to and no-one will be told or not to so some of you will believe that and some of you won't, either way I still have my cookies as referenced above. It's irrelevant to the actual discussion, personally I wouldn't have seen the point in making the initial comment but that's just me.

Advertisement