Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W.I.T Lecturers Refusing To Correct Exams

Options
  • 27-01-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this should be here or in the Irish Economy section. Feel free to move it. Anyway, here's the issue at hand from the rte website..

WIT lecturers refuse to correct papers

Wednesday, 27 January 2010 16:07
    Some lecturers at Waterford Institute of Technology are refusing to correct exam papers from last December.
    They say WIT attempted to change an administrative error which saw them paid too much for the work.
    WIT says it is endeavouring to work through the issues with the union representing the lecturers, the TUI.

The matter has been referred to the Labour Relations Commission

So, by reading that and the WIT forum, am I correct in stating that the lecturers were overpaid, WIT figured it out, wants to correct the mistake and now the lecturers are protesting in order to keep the payments they didn't deserve in the first place?? Surely that can't be correct?!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I'm not sure if this should be here or in the Irish Economy section. Feel free to move it. Anyway, here's the issue at hand from the rte website..

So, by reading that and the WIT forum, am I correct in stating that the lecturers were overpaid, WIT figured it out, wants to correct the mistake and now the lecturers are protesting in order to keep the payments they didn't deserve in the first place?? Surely that can't be correct?!?!
    Well it's unclear whether WIT is simply returning them to their normal pay or not, but I suspect what the problem might be here is that they have sought to reimburse themseves by docking salaries for the erroneous amount in the next payment cycle - which may not be the fairest way of correcting their mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Well it's unclear whether WIT is simply returning them to their normal pay or not, but I suspect what the problem might be here is that they have sought to reimburse themseves by docking salaries for the erroneous amount in the next payment cycle - which may not be the fairest way of correcting their mistake.

Huh ?

Yes there is an issue here if I read the previous poster correctly.

1 Eaminers paid too much due to admin error - fact

2 Atempt made to recoup error - fact

3 Examiners not best pleased..why ..communication problem here surely..if they were paid too little..would expect recompense..yes ?

Sauce fer Goose........end of ...yes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

hi OP, where's your source for this?
    I'm not challenging you or anything and believe what you say, it seems crazy & i'd like to follow this story :)
    Thank you

edit: oh, never mind, i just realized you said it's on the rte website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Huh ?

Yes there is an issue here if I read the previous poster correctly.

1 Eaminers paid too much due to admin error - fact

2 Atempt made to recoup error - fact

3 Examiners not best pleased..why ..communication problem here surely..if they were paid too little..would expect recompense..yes ?

Sauce fer Goose........end of ...yes ?
    I don't think there's any harm in pointing out that the reason for their grievance isn't actually clear.
    If lecturers are demanding that the mistake in payment be made permanent, then obviously that's ridiculous. I'd be be willing to be that's not the case here.

I'd imagine it's something to do with the fact that some employees may not have known they were paid extra, and have now been docked a large chunk of this month's salary - or something to that effect. Not everybody can absorb a large once-off hit, especially if they haven't been keeping track of their accounts or had no reason to.

The article doesn't say very much so we'll just have to wait and see.

Advertisement