Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expensive food for vegetarians

Options
  • 27-01-2010 6:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭

Does anybody know why vegetarian food is SOOOOOO .... expensive. I am talking about stuff like tofu. Health store prices are crazy! I am semi- vegetarian ,I do it fish sometimes and turkey or chicken from time to time ,but I would love to quit this to. It's difficult as there is almost no food like tofu in Tesco and every time I go to health store I spend like 20 eu on few items. Crazy! :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

doesnt it not cost more to produce tofu then raising cattle and chickens.
    Plus demand equals supply and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

skelliser wrote: »

I dont think so.. ;) You dont have to feed soya beans..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

So instead of eating processed soybean product, learn to cook with beans in their non processed form. Dry beans are the cheapest form of protein I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's to punish you hippies for not eating delicious delicious meat.

Xiney wrote: »
    So instead of eating processed soybean product, learn to cook with beans in their non processed form. Dry beans are the cheapest form of protein I'm aware of.

Tofu is not a "processed soybean product"... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu

• Advertisement

...yes it is. Anytime you do anything to a food (cook, ferment, seperate etc) food you are processing it.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    It's to punish you hippies for not eating delicious delicious meat.

- if vegetarians are hippies ;) (very pejorative indeed :) ,meat eaters are what? killers? try to see any film from the slaughterhouse and really listen to yourself and see what you feel.. Think if you agree for this. For killing another living creature for your pleasure. :/

Xiney wrote: »
    ...yes it is. Anytime you do anything to a food (cook, ferment, seperate etc) food you are processing it.

Ok, thats right ,but "processed food" means mostly not healthy and tofu is good for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

surime wrote: »
    Tofu is not a "processed soybean product"... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu

The great Wikipedia is not able to tell you why vegetarian food is SOOOOOO expensive though.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Does anybody know why vegetarian food is SOOOOOO .... expensive.

NOOOOOOO... I doooooon't.

• Advertisement

The great Wikipedia is not able to tell you why vegetarian food is SOOOOOO expensive though.........

-and whats your point? :)

Ok ,what is your problem people? :) Is my question that strange?

-and whats your point? :)

My point is that as soon as somebody quite rightly pointed out that tofu is a processed product you headed straight to Wikipedia to prove them wrong.
    Here's a tip.......... Wikipedia is not always right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You would be better asking this to be moved to the Veggie forums as most of the replys you are going to get here aren't going to be very useful, especially since it has very little specifically to do with Galway as far as I can see.
    skelliser wrote: »

Not even close, meat is just about the most costly food to produce in terms of land taken up and price wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sugarplum4

First of all, a person who sometimes eats fish is called a pescetarian, not a vegetarian. Secondly, someone who eats fish and poultry just doesn't like red meat very much. You are neither vegetarian nor pescetarian. Morally, what is the difference between beef and poultry? Nothing. The only difference is that a chicken fillet doesn't leave an unsightly pool of blood on your plate as a steak might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does anybody know why vegetarian food is SOOOOOO .... expensive. I am talking about stuff like tofu. Health store prices are crazy! I am semi- vegetarian ,I do it fish sometimes and turkey or chicken from time to time ,
    Slippery, slippery slope surime, next thing you know you'll be eating people or children.

sugarplum4 wrote: »
    First of all, a person who sometimes eats fish is called a pescetarian, not a vegetarian. Secondly, someone who eats fish and poultry just doesn't like red meat very much. You are neither vegetarian nor pescetarian. Morally, what is the difference between beef and poultry? Nothing. The only difference is that a chicken fillet doesn't leave an unsightly pool of blood on your plate as a steak might do.

First of all I said "semi-vegetarian"
    "Semi-vegetarianism is a term used to describe the practice of excluding some meat (particularly red meat) from the diet while still consuming limited amounts of poultry, fish, and/or seafood.[1][2] In many references, a semi-vegetarian is also a flexitarian or "almost vegetarian". The term semi-vegetarian is sometimes also referred to as a diet that excludes "red meat". Semi-vegetarian diets are not vegetarian diets, which exclude ingestion of all animal flesh

-and I am here not to discuss my eating habbits and to talk about vegetarianism ,just to find out why healthy food is expensive.
    Is there anybody normal who would agree with me that "healt store" is expensive?

My point is that as soon as somebody quite rightly pointed out that tofu is a processed product you headed straight to Wikipedia to prove them wrong.
    Here's a tip.......... Wikipedia is not always right.

-thanks for great tip I didn't know that,I tought wikipedia is infallible.. wow :)

Not even the pope is infallable

You didnt get I was ironic? ;) and what pope has to do with it?
    Irish people are funny anyway -seriously.

• Advertisement

You didnt get I was ironic?

Topshop vegetarians usually are...

and what pope has to do with it?

Put infallibility into your Wikipedia, then control f "pope"
    I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Pope's a vegetarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway -> Vegetarian forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Health food shops have big markups, asian stores don't. What health food stores view more as luxury/lifestyle choices, asian stores view as regular food.

Ok, thats right ,but "processed food" means mostly not healthy and tofu is good for you...

Processed food means that more has been done to it. Generally (not always, such as in the case of simple preservation such as canning/freezing/drying which extends the shelf life and therefore the saleability of foods) this leads to an increase in price.

So if you start with the raw ingredient in a less processed form (such as dry beans vs. processed bean curd) you will save money :)

Processed food doesn't mean unhealthy - it's the fact that a lot of processed foods have too much fat, sugar, salt, and have had much of their nutritional value and fibre removed that makes it unhealthy. It depends on the food and what process it has been subjected to, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Tofu is a processed food. Processed does not mean unhealthy, it simply means food not in it's natural state. Also, tofu may not be quite as healthy as you think, google it to find out the possible health risks.

About your slaughterhouse comment, you eat turkey. Unless you eat only free range turkey and chicken then the images from a slaughterhouse are the least of your worries. Farmed poultry are usually shoved into tiny cages and spend their lives standing in their own excrement and unable to move about. To be honest I'd rather eat a cow which has at least spent its life in a field, as nature intended.

Lastly, vegetarian food is the cheapest kind of food there is. Buy fresh or frozen vegetables, buy dried beans, lentils, rice etc in bulk and you're sorted. Nice food for a few cent a serving. Save the expensive tofu for special occasions.

As someone said. Asian store tofu is cheap as chips.
    I am so appreciative of having the choice to buy tofu in the arsehole of nowhere, in this modern Ireland.
    I don't give a damn what they charge me.

I am aware of this all ,but thanks anyway. I dont think I have time to produce my own tofu and tofu is processed food just as cottage cheese is. I dont see anythink wrong with it and I eat it maybe once a week.
    About meat : I buy only free range chickens or eggs and sorry but besides this I think killing cow is much more horrible then killing chicken. Chickens are not even half that inteligent as cows or pigs are. Of course it doesnt mean they dont have right to live, its just -they are less aware.
    I really have discussed this subjects so many times with people that I am not going to go through the same battle again. ;)
    I was just curious why this products are expensive ,thats it. If anybody knows I am waiting for explanations. :)

Moonbaby wrote: »
    As someone said. Asian store tofu is cheap as chips.
    I am so appreciative of having the choice to buy tofu in the arsehole of nowhere, in this modern Ireland.
    I don't give a damn what they charge me.

Do they have good stuff in Asian shop on prospect hill?

• Advertisement

What do you mean by "arshole of nowhere" ? ;)

Advertisement