Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Ballybrit/Doughiska

Options
  • 27-01-2010 6:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭

I would like to ask anyone who lives in Ballybrit/Doughiska area how is it? Is it quiet ,safe? I live in center and it's much to expensive and house is not of a good quality. So we are thinking about moving and there is many cheaper offers in that side of town. Any comments welcome. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Been living in Ballybrit for about 18 months now, although we moved into a new apartment (just 1 minute down the road) in August.

I really enjoy it, it's quiet, you're near Lidl and a big Dunnes stores, the two nicest GPs I've ever met are here, my husband works 5 minutes away, there's a lovely park and the city centre is still only a short cycle/drive/bus ride away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Xiney wrote: »
    Been living in Ballybrit for about 18 months now, although we moved into a new apartment (just 1 minute down the road) in August.

I really enjoy it, it's quiet, you're near Lidl and a big Dunnes stores, the two nicest GPs I've ever met are here, my husband works 5 minutes away, there's a lovely park and the city centre is still only a short cycle/drive/bus ride away.

Oh, is there Lidl? Great I didnt know that. Do you know this place:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=ct2&s[a_id]=&s[mnp]=&s[mxp]=700&s[bd_no]=&s[search_type]=rental&s[furn]=&s[refreshmap]=1&limit=10&search_type=rental&id=837056

? It says Ballybane ,but its very close to Ballybrit ,isnt it?

-doesn't work :/

Place called " Gortleinn Old Monivea Rd"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

surime wrote: »
    -doesn't work :/

Place called " Gortleinn Old Monivea Rd"?

Yeah thats just around the corner from SuperValu in Ballybane. Grand spot, nothing wrong with it AFAIK

Good. :) thanks a lot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

Doughiska's got a range of facilities ... some are shown on this Doughiska/Briarhill neighbourhood map, there are plans for more but they'll take a long while to build.

Ballybrit/Ballybane is about 15 minutes walk away. Slightly different facilities (-Lidl & Dunnes, + library & SuperValu, etc) (Ballybrit neighbourhood map, Ballybane neighbourhood map), but still close.

Doughiska has far better public transport (every 15 minutes = far more reliable service, last bus is later, earlier starts on weekends, etc).

There is some prejudice about Ballybane addresses. Unwarranted IMHO, but can be addressed by calling it Ballybrit, as you've seen! I think (but don't have facts to prove it) that the proportion of people from Eastern Europe is higher in Doughiska.

Thanks justmary ,I dont know then why we where paying 800eu for citycenter then for almost 2 years! :/ silly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That place would be quiet enough i'd imagine.. I live close by and there would be no people walking by at night shouting on way home from pub :)

The risk is they make pubs out of their homes -no? :/ Lots of house-parties over there?

Yeah, there's a European food store and a fruit and veg shop on the doughiska road as well, which is cool.

Personally I'd get as close to briarhill/doughiska as possible as the no 9 bus is way better than the no 3, and the amenities are better in that area than in ballybane.

Lidl is just off the doughiska road, next to the NCT testing centre if you know where that is.

• Advertisement

Thats good to know, thanks Xiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

The risk is they make pubs out of their homes -no? :/ Lots of house-parties over there?

Couldn't tell you for sure, but it's not know as a student/partycentral area... I'd say there wouldn't be much noise/parties...
    But as another poster said, there would be more amenities if OP moved closer to doughiska area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

Thats good to know, thanks Xiney.

I've lived in Doughiska, near the Dublin Road end, for over 2 years and would highly recommend it. There've been lots of improvements over the past year around the area - new road with bicycle lanes, fairly decent No. 9 bus service (+new bus sheltars), great park with tennis and basketball courts.
    When I moved here used to have to go across town for grocery shopping but no longer necessary with Dunnes & Lidl and a great new veggie shop in the locality. My local GP in Roscam is great and was recommeded by a friend because he is one of the nicest in Galway. Merlin Woods are a nice place to go for walks, as well as the new park in Doughiska.
    I've found the area safe so far and haven't heard of break-ins, not in my immediate area anyway.
    Good luck with the move

We've found house near to Merlin woods. I was a little bit upleasently surpised by the mess around (rubbish flyind out of the bins) -but I hope it's not always like this. Maybe it was windy. ;)
    Thanks Carolyyn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

We've found house near to Merlin woods. I was a little bit upleasently surpised by the mess around (rubbish flyind out of the bins) -but I hope it's not always like this. Maybe it was windy. ;)
    Thanks Carolyyn

Hey Surime, I think I know the estate you're talking about. It has a particularly high rental population which I think makes folk care less about where they live.

THe residents of Doughiska do regualar clean up days in the park there if it helps. We started this thread to let everyone know about the events
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055758141:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Does anyone know what the name of the chipper is beside Centra on the Doughiska Rd?

orla wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the name of the chipper is beside Centra on the Doughiska Rd?

I think it's Jack Jones Fish & Chips or something. I'm probably wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

It's Jack Jordans and it's beautiful !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement