Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Sausages

Options
  • 27-01-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm working in a Muslim country, where pork is forbidden. In an effort to at least get a taste of home I am looking for a butcher/store that sells beef sausages. Can anyone help? Preferred location would be Kilkenny/Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Sorry to ask a stupid question but do you intend on bringing the sausages with you??? That probably won't be allowed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

My local butcher makes them but he is in North Dublin.

There is a butcher's on Parnell Street (Terry Whelan IIRC) that makes his own beef sausages and cured meats. It's at the rear entrance to the Ilac Centre. I know it's Dublin but it is city centre so maybe it might be worth including it in your next trip to the big smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

I would have thought that basically every beef butcher does beef sausages?!

All the ones I've seen seem to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Caveat wrote: »
    I would have thought that basically every beef butcher does beef sausages?!

All the ones I've seen seem to.

Funny I thought that myself until I checked with 2 online butchers I would also use - both do beef & neither do beef sausages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i'm guessing you don't have any arabic shops in kilkenny?
    all the halal butchers in dublin certainly do lovely beef sausages...

there is so much lovely food to eat in arab countries,i'm so jealous of you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

Many thanks for all the replies. With regards to taking food into the country it's not an issue, most expats take food in (including meat) and the bags are xrayed many times so they know what's in them. I usually make a trip to Dublin while home on leave so I'll take a look there. The country I am in is not as developed as the Middle East so choice and variety is not readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Many thanks for all the replies. With regards to taking food into the country it's not an issue, most expats take food in (including meat) and the bags are xrayed many times so they know what's in them. I usually make a trip to Dublin while home on leave so I'll take a look there. The country I am in is not as developed as the Middle East so choice and variety is not readily available.

Ah right, not as strict as Australia!!! Good to know... All I know is when pork was banned here due to the feed or what ever, beef sausages were everywhere, they tasted ok!!

Best of luck getting them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

ballyfree do chicken and turkey sausages, you can get them in dunnes and tesco if that's any help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Worked in Saudi for ten years, ate beef sausages, no probs.
    Wouldn't worry about pork (which was banned there) embrace the local cuisine. Eat in Turkish restuarants. Superb food.
    Riyadh had a Korean restaurant with a buffet every week. Brilliant.
    Pork never bothered me.

"When in Rome etc."........

We used to get Oscar Meyer Pork (USA) illegally, Sh!te.

Tastes all the better when you get home, pork that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Eoineo wrote: »
    My local butcher makes them but he is in North Dublin.

There is a butcher's on Parnell Street (Terry Whelan IIRC) that makes his own beef sausages and cured meats. It's at the rear entrance to the Ilac Centre. I know it's Dublin but it is city centre so maybe it might be worth including it in your next trip to the big smoke.

A very good butcher I use Terry myself and he is the type of guy who will gave you the recipe,a worthwhile visit if you want a good beef sausage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Macardle's Butchers in Charlestown SC in Finglas recently ordered me in Beef Sausages.

Advertisement