Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings

Options
  • 27-01-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks wonder if you could advise me of something. I am currently and carer(Not a sponger just to the the record straight) Under carers I am allowed work 15 hours but i must declare all earnings etc. Common sense crap really and which i do.

I have been saving very carefully. My understanding is I am only allowed to save so much in the post office before they inform the revenue commissionsers or the social welfare. Why they inform the social welfare i dont understand. All my income is declared or is savings classed as income and if so how does a carer save

Anyway what i really want to know how much can you save before you must declare it to revenue or do revenue just take a peek and say you owe me 5 k

If my question does not make sense sorry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Its not the fact that you have savings, but the fact that you are saving - the revenue will reckon the money has come from somewhere - inheritance (CAT?) sales of shares(CGT?) undeclared income (Income Tax?)

I'm afraid I don't know more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

homer911 wrote: »
    Its not the fact that you have savings, but the fact that you are saving - the revenue will reckon the money has come from somewhere - inheritance (CAT?) sales of shares(CGT?) undeclared income (Income Tax?)

I'm afraid I don't know more than that

ah hold on now. I am on min carers. Its not much trust me. Its essentially drink money and tax back. I just wanted to know whats my limit as i dont see the point in saving to give it away. Better to spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

If your savings are under 20 thousand - you have nothing to worry about - it is not taken into account for the carers allowance. If it is over 20k - then you should let them know - see here for details.

Money Advice - www.moneyguideireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ogham wrote: »
    If your savings are under 20 thousand - you have nothing to worry about - it is not taken into account for the carers allowance. If it is over 20k - then you should let them know - see here for details.

Money Advice - www.moneyguideireland

Thats cool. I just realised recently that they take into account all sources. Which includes credit unions etc. However when i totall all up thankfully it comes no where near.

Advertisement