Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with a broken hd, possible recover

• 27-01-2010 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hey, i have a Hitachi Deskstar hard drive which was in a previous caddy.
    I fitted the wrong power supply into the caddy and it blew a chip on the actually hard drive itself.

Chip that blew says 5F2510K, OA29000, MALAYSIA.

The hard drive itself is a Hitachi Deskstar Model no. HDS722516VLAT20 320G
    Which came in a Freecom external hard drive.

I'm not pushed to get it fixed like spending aload of money etc, but just curious is there any cheap way of doing this.

Thanks,
    Graham

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

gfoster wrote: »
    Hey, i have a Hitachi Deskstar hard drive which was in a previous caddy.
    I fitted the wrong power supply into the caddy and it blew a chip on the actually hard drive itself.

Chip that blew says 5F2510K, OA29000, MALAYSIA.

The hard drive itself is a Hitachi Deskstar Model no. HDS722516VLAT20 320G
    Which came in a Freecom external hard drive.

I'm not pushed to get it fixed like spending aload of money etc, but just curious is there any cheap way of doing this.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hey Graham.

I'm not 100% sure,but I think that you should be able to replace the chip itself with a bit of skill/luck.Like I said,if it looks like a chip you would see on a motherboard then you may be able to solder a new one in.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you more though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭gfoster

Thanks deano,
    Would these chips not have to be programmed or something first.

I just took a pic of it there, its not great.

Theres 2 pins and are completely gone, one intact one in between them.

IMG_0294.jpg

Anyone got anything on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

I've had a similar problem. Whee!

With mine, from what I can understand from certain forums, a diode blew in order to protect the HDD itself. You can bypass the diode (snipping or de-soldering), but this would remove that level of protection from future surges.

I also understand that you can replace the HDD's little board with an identical board, and there's a few forums that facilitate that. Or you could buy an identical drive - but it has to be identical (make, model, serial), as the firmware varies a lot. This seems... daunting. ;)

The pic you posted - is there melted plastic on the big, square chip?

Thanks for your input Brion, can you point me in the direction of where you seen incidences like this and where they resoldered this issue and bypassed this diode, if it is a diode.

Sorry the picture was taken with my iphone its not great.
    Took 2 better ones which are clearer.

Its not melted plastic on the chips, its like a burn on the chip.

IMGA0009.jpg

IMGA0011.jpg

Hope these help,
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 h4ck573r

broin wrote: »
    I've had a similar problem. Whee!

With mine, from what I can understand from certain forums, a diode blew in order to protect the HDD itself. You can bypass the diode (snipping or de-soldering), but this would remove that level of protection from future surges.

I also understand that you can replace the HDD's little board with an identical board, and there's a few forums that facilitate that. Or you could buy an identical drive - but it has to be identical (make, model, serial), as the firmware varies a lot. This seems... daunting. ;)

The pic you posted - is there melted plastic on the big, square chip?

serial will never be identical.

I see two burned components on picture, i assume there is more.
    You would need someone with above average electronic skill to fix it.
    If you are by any chance in Serbia I could do it for like 25e, plus the components price, if not find some geek to replace them.
    I almost forgot to mention "you idiot, how could you do that"

h4ck573r, I don't think I'll be over that way anytime soon :)

Any chance you could tell us how you'd go abouy fixing this if you where doin it?

I'm mainly looking for a quick fix just to retrieve the information off the hard drive, I don't care about using it again.

I wounder is there a way to cross over or bridge connections etc just to be able to retrieve data off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Methinks your best bet is to get an identical hard drive and swap the circuit board. Some components may look undamaged, but may be kaput. Resoldering a new chip is possible (but not easy) but without the skills/equipment, you may be heading for major headaches if you go that route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

tmcw wrote: »
    Methinks your best bet is to get an identical hard drive and swap the circuit board. Some components may look undamaged, but may be kaput. Resoldering a new chip is possible (but not easy) but without the skills/equipment, you may be heading for major headaches if you go that route.

+1

There's no easy fix for this one.
    Of course, you could just get a new drive and restore from your backups.. :)

• Advertisement

Well as others suggested the easyest way is to replace the entire board, find someone who is selling used hdd, same model as yours, buy it and replace the board.
    I could explain you how to do it step by step but it would probably be a failure, since you don't have enough skill for that nor the equipment.
    Changing board should be a rather easy task, but since you managed to destroy one hdd in the past I recommend you do it carefully.
    You could also go to pc service and buy some hdd (same model) with mechanical malfunction and use electronix from it, if you are lucky that would be slightly cheaper than buying a full working this, albeit it is a gamble.
    best of luck with it.

Ah i just had an another idea, if you have a friend that has same model you could ask him to borrow it to you to lets say copy some movie, and than use his board for the swap, and if you don't destroy it you have too options ether return it to his disk and say thanks, or return him yours and say that he give you a broken disk :P.(that one is evil and illegal but hey it is a profitable one).
    just tough to let you know of all the options...

Advertisement