Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Loan/Finance

• 27-01-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

What is the best bank to go to for a car loan or are they all doing HP now?

AIB: Got a quote but they would only give me HP as still have balance outstanding on current car loan (pricks)

PTSB: Checked website and it looks like they do a Motor plan but that looks like HP

BOI: Will try them - very little on their website

Credit Union: Wont entertain as I am not regulare enough saver although they said they might be able to with 3 months bank statements and wage slip

Halifax: 12.5% APR on loan - very informative website

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

BOI HP on 31k came in at 7.74% APR.

HP is about all that's going on Cars at the minute. It's good for you, as you can hand the car back half way through without affecting your credit rating and get yourself a new car.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats one way of looking at it I suppose but dont you have to pay off the outstanding balance on the car?

Nope. You need to get to the half way mark, this is detailed in the agreement. Once you've done this you may call your bank and tell them you wish to return the car under the half rule. You agree to a mutually beneficial location to drop the car and that's it.

Paul

Thing is you dont own the car though. Would still prefer outright loan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

flamegrill wrote: »
    Nope. You need to get to the half way mark, this is detailed in the agreement. Once you've done this you may call your bank and tell them you wish to return the car under the half rule. You agree to a mutually beneficial location to drop the car and that's it.

Paul

Provided the car is in good nick

• Advertisement

Indeed. You're supposed to look after it... I've heard of people having to pay upto 2k to fix up the car. I've also heard of people having to pay nothing. As long as "due care" is taken it's a non issue.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just got a motor loan with BOI for €8.5k. It's HP. Lending is so much stricter at the moment, it makes sense from both your and the bank's POV. Gone is the day back in 2005 when I rang up the bank saying I needed €9k for a car and I had money in my account 24 hours later. The car cannot be more than 3 years old and BOI pay the dealer directly, if it's an approved dealer. I don't know what happens if it's not an approved dealer or if it's a private sale. Interest rate is fixed, came in around 9%. That's better than the ~11% you'd have to pay on a personal loan.

I was told although it's a fixed rate, I don't have to stick it out. I can pay it off in full at any time without penalty, but I have to pay it off in full.

If you really don't want to go down the HP route, you could always get a discretionary personal loan, but you'd want a great credit record and a good strong income.

Still have to go through the final details with the bank, but I imagine I'm required to have fully comp insurance on it. If there's anything surprising I'll post it up.

Might change the title to is HP worth it? Over lets say a Loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I went into my local BOI branch on Dec 23rd at about 2.30pm looking for a car loan. The requested amount was in my account within 24 hours, so there are loans to be had.

In saying that the lad did ask me quite a few questions re my job security, future plans and the like, but said the fact that my cr history was good as well as having paid off my previous loan a year early....all boded well for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

loans are still out there, sold my GF's EP3 Civic for cash twice in the last 6 weeks!

first owner bought it then lost his job, so said we'd help him out selling it on again as we know him well.

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    I went into my local BOI branch on Dec 23rd at about 2.30pm looking for a car loan. The requested amount was in my account within 24 hours, so there are loans to be had.

In saying that the lad did ask me quite a few questions re my job security, future plans and the like, but said the fact that my cr history was good as well as having paid off my previous loan a year early....all boded well for me.

How much was your loan? I do notice you have paid your loan off though. I must see if they will give me the loan if I pay off my loan. Have savings, have good cr history, never missed payments etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

are they giving 100% loans still? I thought they were looking for 20% deposit these days?

I think they only do motor loans to approved dealers, if it's not from one of them you might need a personal loan. Also, PTSB are only doing loans over a maximum of 4 years now instead of 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Mc Love wrote: »
    How much was your loan? I do notice you have paid your loan off though. I must see if they will give me the loan if I pay off my loan. Have savings, have good cr history, never missed payments etc

Only 9k over 3 years. My previous was 10 over 3 and was closed off after 2, so all goint well this will be gone even sooner. That was a definite helper. The fact that you have consistent savings (like myself) will help too, along with not missing payments.
    Absurdum wrote: »
    are they giving 100% loans still? I thought they were looking for 20% deposit these days?

I think they only do motor loans to approved dealers

Well it's all relative really. If the car I was purchasing was worth 9k, then that could be seen as a 100% loan. I reckon it all comes down to your history, as well as how you come across in terms of when you are sitting down discussing it. Think of it like an informal interview, but as long as you sound reasonable (I gave the whole "need to change to diesel for work etc etc" spiel - even though it was true at the time and I end up going off in the complete opposite direction :rolleyes:).

Yeah I was looking for 11 over 4 years and even said I would use some of my own money too. If it was down to the branch I would have gotten it no problem, but due to NAMA it has to go to Credit Centre in Dublin now (Booo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Plenty of lending still going on - all very much a case by case basis.

Dealers that have history with a bank can get deals and those dealers that aren't on the books of the main banks are gonna find it difficult to trade.

I'm looking at something at the moment and I've had to do all the ringing myself with banks something very off putting when I can just go another dealer the bank will deal with directly.

The term of the loan depends on the car type also, they will give 5 for all new cars anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I'm assuming dealers are no longer doing 0% finance offers on new cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm assuming dealers are no longer doing 0% finance offers on new cars?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch, the cost of the finance (and more) is always included in the price.

Got a call from Bank saying that my loan is approved after going back saying i didnt want HP.

Too late seeing as the car I wanted is gone now!

Advertisement