Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help!!! Law with French Law/Law/Business and Law???

• 27-01-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just after filling out my CAO there and put down; Law with French Law as number one, Business and Law number two, and Law(BCL) number three. Just wondering does anyone have any advice on these courses and/or what is the better one? I enjoy French and that's about the only reason I put down French Law, but I want to become a Barrister here in Ireland, but its early days yet....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭mtucker

You'll really need to sit down and work out what you want! I've got a few friends in Law with French Law and it's tough going, far tougher than straight BCL. What I would say is that you should look at the Horizons programme - you could choose to study French as your elective with straight BCL, cuts out all the French law learning!

I'm in Business & Law myself, couldn't recommend it highly enough. It's such an interesting degree, you get such depth in both disciplines. However, B&L heads aren't allowed to study Horizons electives, so definitely no French if you go down this route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

If you are very good at French then by all means go for it. I did Law and Euro in UL and I was terrible at german really dragged my marks down so think long and hard about it. If you ever wanted to be a solicitor and not a barrister then I couldnt recommend B and L enough, its excellent and is loved by the big Law firms in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Thanks for the info. Yes I'm thinking of becoming a barrister but it's early days yet. I'm hoping for an A1 in the LC in French, but no guarantees...

Just about the Business and Law course, do you get a BCL in the end? And would you need to have studied business for LC, as I only am studying economics?

And is the Law with French Law course much more difficult than the Ordinary Law course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Just about the Business and Law course, do you get a BCL in the end? And would you need to have studied business for LC, as I only am studying economics?

You don't get a BCL or a Bcomm, but a BBL - but you can when choosing your subjects ensure that you have the requisite subjects to enter the Kings Inn or Blackhall place, or if you find law doesn't suit you, get exemptions from most of the accountancy exams. You don't need to have studied business before, I didn't and never found it a disadvantage. You would want to be comfortable with maths though, no need to be brilliant, but a basic familiarity would be a big help - it's been a stumbling block for some of my friends.

That said, and maybe I'm going against general consensus here, if you're sure about going into Law, I wouldn't bother doing B&L. I haven't really enjoyed the business studies, and probably should have done pure law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,613 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Flecktarn wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Yes I'm thinking of becoming a barrister but it's early days yet. I'm hoping for an A1 in the LC in French, but no guarantees...

And is the Law with French Law course much more difficult than the Ordinary Law course?

I do BCL, I find most of the Law with French lads are bailing into Law with History or into Pure Law cause they are finding it so tough. I think if you like the French language you are best off doing what someone said and doing electives in it, or, the lawschool for €150 does special French language classes (as opposed to studying French, which is literature ect) targetted at getting you to a level required to study law on Erasmus in 3rd year.

As for the course, BCL is pretty epic. Its easy, interesting and gives you time to explore the delights of college.

Nothing against mtucker, but I find people doing B&L kinda cliquey ect, I dunno if thats his experience. But sure its all about yourself. I'd highly advise pure law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Cheers again for the advice. I'm really stuck between the three courses;
    - I'd love to do Law with French Law but if it's so tough, would I not be just better off doing plain old Law?!
    - As regards to B & L, is it not too much hassle if you don't even get a BCL at the end of the day.
    - And then again I'm not to pushed to do the BCL as surely it limits your options, especially if I discover law isn't for me.

Just hypothetically speaking, say I find the French Law too difficult, how hard would it be to switch over to Law(BCL)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭mtucker

errlloyd wrote: »

Nothing against mtucker, but I find people doing B&L kinda cliquey ect, I dunno if thats his experience. But sure its all about yourself. I'd highly advise pure law.

Yeah, B&L is cliquey (what do you expect when we spend 50% of our time in the Quinn School?), but it's not a big deal. Everybody has their own group of friends that they hang around with and it isn't a case of each group sticking to themselves. It's quite like school in that regard, but we're all mature enough to get on well as a year. The year group gets on really well, plenty of class parties and trips abroad.

Flecktarn, if you've got the points for French Law, you'll probably be relatively safe dropping into pure law or law with history/politics/whatever. I'm not 100% sure how the system works though.

If you're interested in business (i.e. studying accounting/economics/business at LC level and genuinely interested in them), B&L would be the course for you. You really need to have an interest in your business modules, some of the worst classes I've had have been things that I'm not interested in at all (usually to do with Information Systems).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Limerickhurler

Listen lads whats the best law course in Ireland: UCD, Trinity or UCC? I'm hoping to become a barrister and dont have a clue which college I should go to. Btw why is the course in Ucc only three years, does that matter?

Advertisement