Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TESCO and sterling

Options
  • 27-01-2010 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Why do TESCO insist on pricing clothes for sale in their Irish stores in STG. with a very small Euro price. At first glance these items seem to be at the lower amount i.e. Stg and only after studying the label do you see the "small" . After enquiring why they do this I was informed by Tesco staff it was because most of there stock was English. I informed them that M &S, Dagenhams etc carried english stock but they priced there goods in Euro.
    The latest article I found was Tesco Apple Juice Packed in fours with a tape around them marked "2 for £5.00." now what that means I do not know
    I have sent Tesco E_mail on two occasions aboutthese practices but received an automatic reply that because of wintery conditions it will be some time to reply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Have to sit this one out as I dealt with this customer in store!

Mods please send to the usual destination!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

After enquiring why they do this I was informed by Tesco staff it was because most of there stock was English. I informed them that M &S, Dagenhams etc carried english stock but they priced there goods in Euro

Why does that matter to Tesco ?. If they want to have their prices listed in Roubles as well as Euro they can. If they are showing Sterling only prices I'm willign to bet it's a mistake and someone hasnt overwritten witha Euro price or added one.

Dual pricign makes much more sense when the vast majority of the stock will be goign to the UK anyway. Saves havign to keep ROI stock seperate and try predict how much stock will be needed for Ireland alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PacManFan

It's done so that they don't have to change the tags for stock that goes to Ireland and is perfectly legal to do so. The reason the Euro price is smaller is because most of the stock would go to the UK stores.

As for the "2 for £5.00" thing, that's because more stock is being sourced from the UK since the Change for Good last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is no law against having prices in Sterling on a tag, but having the Sterling price in a larger font is clearly misleading and I imagine it is illegal. You can't just label everything in Lats with the Euro price in 6 point font to lure people into your shop. I'd complain to the consumer authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

ardmacha wrote: »
    There is no law against having prices in Sterling on a tag, but having the Sterling price in a larger font is clearly misleading and I imagine it is illegal. You can't just label everything in Lats with the Euro price in 6 point font to lure people into your shop. I'd complain to the consumer authorities.

Its not illegal. I cant even imagine on what basis you think it would be illegal.

It is obvious that tesco are operating in both uk and ireland, and to minimise their costs (and hence our costs) they have dual priced labels. would you rather tesco charged a little more on all clothing items in ROI, and had seperate labels?

finally so do dunnes stores have dual tags. But hey why pass an opportunity to bash the brits eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Its not illegal. I cant even imagine on what basis you think it would be illegal.

It is obvious that tesco are operating in both uk and ireland, and to minimise their costs (and hence our costs) they have dual priced labels. would you rather tesco charged a little more on all clothing items in ROI, and had seperate labels?

finally so do dunnes stores have dual tags. But hey why pass an opportunity to bash the brits eh?

I don't think you've read the OP's comment properly.

The OP isn't suggesting that dual pricing is illegal but that in Ireland if dual pricing is used then the Euro price should be clearly visible as this is the currency we use. It does seem ridiculous that Tesco could get away with having the price of some of their goods marked more clearly in Sterling than in Euro.

Yes, Dunnes operate dual pricing also but in Dunnes' case (as in the case for H&m, Topshop and most of the other British multiples) the Euro price is marked just as clearly as the Sterling price i.e. same size and font.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

what difference does it make - they charge the sterling price for their clothes :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

irishbird wrote: »
    what difference does it make - they charge the sterling price for their clothes :confused::confused:

no they don't - not any more. that was a promotional offer and it finished months ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Tesco are doing nothing wrong, they have both prices, so they are not misleading the customer. If the customer does not take the time to read the price and notice the £ and the € signs (which look fairly different), then that is their responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ardmacha wrote: »

How is it misleading? It's only misleading if someone is not capable of seeing the difference between a £ and a €
    Imagining something is illegal is no use. The law is based on fact. There's nothing worse than dealing with a customer who claims to "know their rights" when all their "knowledge" of their rights is based on assumptions.
    "Dunnes let me get a refund on my pink jumper because I changed my mind and wanted a purple one instead, so that must be my right!".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grumpyoldmen

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Have to sit this one out as I dealt with this customer in store!

Doubt if this was me.hav.nt been to kilkenny in years. commute ar5ound the dublin area
    Mods please send to the usual destination![/Doubt if this was me.hav.nt been to kilkenny in years. commute around the dublin areaQUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work in Ardkeen in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Tesco are doing nothing wrong, they have both prices, so they are not misleading the customer. If the customer does not take the time to read the price and notice the £ and the € signs (which look fairly different), then that is their responsibility.

Hey, yes the £ and the € symbol do look very different. You would think! But not on the Tesco label!!!!!!!! They actually look very similar ie. the £ strangely looks like a €.

The facts are:
    - The Stg price prominently displayed in way bigger font than the correct irish price
    - The £ and the € symbol are very similar for some strange reason

It's misleading!

Intentionally misleading or not? That we don't know but I have my suspicions!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

amdublin2 wrote: »
    Hey, yes the £ and the € symbol do look very different. You would think! But not on the Tesco label!!!!!!!! They actually look very similar ie. the £ strangely looks like a €.

The facts are:
    - The Stg price prominently displayed in way bigger font than the correct irish price
    - The £ and the € symbol are very similar for some strange reason

It's misleading!

Intentionally misleading or not? That we don't know but I have my suspicions!!!!

This post belongs in the conspiracy theories thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Just call me Jim Corr ;)

No seriously. Have a look at the tags and tell me what you think!

Advertisement