Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused re Mobile / Wifi / Prepaid / Unlocked

• 27-01-2010 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

Total phone / mobile internet novice here, so please bear with me.

I am hoping to get some info on mobile phone / internet access as I am utterly confused. The more I search the internet the more I have confused myself today. So here goes. (I am going to follow the Mods instructions regarding asking for phone recommendations as much as I can)

I am currently a prepaying Vodafone customer. And I want to remain prepaying, and on my same number (so sim free). I want to get a phone that allows me connect to Wifi (not sure what EDGE is), both at home and while out and about (I believe the term is "hotspots". I don't want to have to enter a package to do this. So basically how I've been viewing it is, I want the wifi connectivity an iTouch offers, but with a phone.

Other things like camera, radio and all those other bits are a bonus, but I am not too pushed on them. The one other thing that would be ideal is to get Microsoft Word, Excel. This has lead me to look at Blackberrys, but I am totally confused as to whether I can get a blackberry under the desired settings as specified in the first paragraph.

Price range - I see Blackberries on the internet for 200+. Also, if I do buy a phone from the internet, do I need to make sure it is unlocked? Could anyone please clarify whether Blackberrys are the way to go to get what I want.

Hope this request made sense. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You dont need to go sim free, you could get a handset from vodafone prepay and still use the same number. If they dont have handset you like, ofcourse you can get a sim free phone and use with your current sim card.

Wifi is on loads of new phones now, so thats not a problem.
    You can browse hotspots yes. Some places you have to buy a subscription in places, but its not paid to vodafone. Its something totally separate. When your at home, its free and dont need anything bar your security code WEP from your router.

EDGE is like 3g. Vodafone dont use this, so its not something you need to worry about. Its a type of data connection to browse the internet on the phone, but you are charged to use 3g (and edge on other networks)

Blackberries are sold on billpay here, because to get the full function out of them, you have to pay a monthly subscription to use the blackberry internet service.

You can get on unlocked if you want, but you wont be able to use all the internet functions without being on billpay.

Hope that clears a few things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Priapus

Hey Davy! Thanks so much for this information. It clarifies a lot. I really appreciate it cause I realise variations of this question are probably asked daily.

Davy wrote: »

Wifi is on loads of new phones now, so thats not a problem.
    You can browse hotspots yes. Some places you have to buy a subscription in places, but its not paid to vodafone. Its something totally separate. When your at home, its free and dont need anything bar your security code WEP from your router.

Hope that clears a few things up

At the risk of asking something you have answered above, is the following interpretation correct?: if I set up the phone to access wifi hotspots and my home wireless connection I don't have to be on any particular type of package / bundle with my carrier (vodafone)? It will just find the Wifi and I will be connected (ignoring things like coffee shop charges to use wifi etc)?

Thanks again,

Priapus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Priapus wrote: »
    At the risk of asking something you have answered above, is the following interpretation correct?: if I set up the phone to access wifi hotspots and my home wireless connection I don't have to be on any particular type of package / bundle with my carrier (vodafone)? It will just find the Wifi and I will be connected (ignoring things like coffee shop charges to use wifi etc)?

Yes, at home its totally free. You must have a wireless router at home in the first place with an active broadband connection, but once you do you can connect with the phone for free.

In cafes etc, it will vary on loaction. Some offer it free when you make a purchase at the till, but you will never be using your vodafone credit on any connection using wifi, also known as wlan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Priapus

Thanks for that clarification Davy. I really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Advertisement