Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Study

Options
  • 27-01-2010 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Need to do well in Irish.. find it very hard to study though. Poems and stories I find harder to study then essays. Anyone any good tips!!?! I know its just sit and learn it really.. but I cant!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Different people have different ways of learning. Try finding yours by writing out what you need to learn, reading it and recording yourself reading it then listening to it and see which way helps you remember the most then learn it that way. Also the brain remembers colour better so you could try writing notes on coloured paper.
    Hope I helped and good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

Hi Cork girl,

A good way of studying is to codense notes and get rid of the books. I dont know if u r higher level or ordinary but a good tip is to write 1 A4 of notes for each poem/story and use those notes alone with of course the actual text for poetry and stories. This minimises looking for notes and having everything together.

like the previous poster said, record yourself saying the notes...sounds silly but it actually sticks in ur head this way, did this myself for learning business definitions and i knew them inside out. the trick to studying is going over the same things often enough as after a few weeks the information is often forgotten. Listening to the notes as u are on a bus or walking is a good tip to getting some study in without having to actually study if u know what i mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Personally I find it easy to learn by re-writing things from the book onto A4 pages.
    Do you use Fiuntas 1 and 2? Because 2 is all about the poems and stories and I think its written excellently, everything is grouped under teideal, cineal, culra, teama, iomhanna etc. and taking the basic points from each of these, writing them (without looking if you can!) onto A4 pages really works for me. It normally only takes one side of the page, so if you want, flip it over and write out all the vocab from the notes or put the poem into your own words or something like that.
    Hope I helped:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

1. Know what happens in each story/poem.

2. Be able to write a summary on what happens in each poem/story. (~1 page/1.5 pages)

3. Answer every single exam question in your papers(including sample papers) and try get your teacher to correct them. Note corrections from your teacher and learn them. Practise is the key to answering the questions on poetry and prose.
    The same kind of questions come up again and again!

If I were you I wouldn't learn a generic answer because on the day you will most likely have to majorly change the answere to 'adapt' to the question.

4. Answer the question that was asked only.

Advertisement