Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Exam

Options
  • 27-01-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Okay so I figure I'm pretty much screwed for the comprehensions. What d'you reckon I could get in the exam if I'm lucky and my preferred essay comes up (aswell as the poems and story I learned fit well) and I get barely any of the comprehension?

Luckily there's no comhras and stuff to learn, I was always terrible at those XD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

If you're doing pass you'll be fine. Pass at the JC was the biggest joke of all time. I did nothing in my class, messed around the whole time. Only thing i learned all year was ''Is maith is cuinhin liom'' and I'm pretty sure i spelled cuinhin wrong there. I went in and finished the whole thing in 30 minutes and got a B. If your doing honours then I can't really give much help you.

Best of luck with your exams. Hope my Irish test will be fine. Doing the LC:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Luftwaffles

Honours Irish, sooo difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Honours Irish, sooo difficult.

I disagree. If you know the layout of the paper & the marking schemes it makes it much easier.
    The cluasthuiscint has been changed and is simple now! That should be 25+ marks in the bag.
    For the two leamhthuiscints you can copy sentences fully from the text and still get full marks.
    The grammar & vocab questions are very easy, just know the aimsir chaite!
    The essay looks a lot harder than it is, you need 1.5 A4 pages but just learn off long opening and closing paragraphs which can take up about a half a page!
    Studied pros & poetry only need to be half an A4 page. Just summarise the poem/story and write a few lines on the theme! I recommend covering the themes of love & death, they come up regularly.
    For unseen poems & pros you only need to answer 3/6 questions, I recommend two from A as you can copy straight from the text and one from B. Common questions for B are: did you like it, personality traits, differences & comparisons.
    Finally, the letter needs to be an A4 page. Again, learn opening & closing paragraphs. A always seems to be the easiest. Holidays/Gaeltacht is very common.

Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

DKZ wrote: »
    I disagree. If you know the layout of the paper & the marking schemes it makes it much easier.
    The cluasthuiscint has been changed and is simple now! That should be 25+ marks in the bag.
    For the two leamhthuiscints you can copy sentences fully from the text and still get full marks.
    The essay looks a lot harder than it is, you need 1.5 A4 pages but just learn off long opening and closing paragraphs which can take up about a half a page!
    Studied pros & poetry only need to be half an A4 page. Just summarise the poem/story and write a few lines on the theme! I recommend covering the themes of love & death, they come up regularly.
    For unseen poems & pros you only need to answer 3/6 questions, I recommend two from A as you can copy straight from the text and one from B. Common questions for B are: did you like it, personality traits, differences & comparisons.
    Finally, the letter needs to be an A4 page. Again, learn opening & closing paragraphs. A always seems to be the easiest. Holidays/Gaeltacht is very common.

Hope this helps!
    :eek:
    You are not telling me I've learned the aimsir caite, aimsir laithreach, aimsir fhastineach, modh coinellach, aimsir gnathcaite and the 11 irregular verbs for no reason!!
    And our studies pro/poem.. They're a full A4 page..

deise_girl wrote: »
    :eek:
    You are not telling me I've learned the aimsir caite, aimsir laithreach, aimsir fhastineach, modh coinellach, aimsir gnathcaite and the 11 irregular verbs for no reason!!
    And our studies pro/poem.. They're a full A4 page..

:eek: According to my teacher & ReviseWise book it's a half a page. Fair play, there's no harm knowing all those tenses :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

the grammer question isn't definately going to be in the aimsir caite.Our teacher gave us a sample one that the department sent and you had to put it into the aimsir fhastineach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Luftwaffles

Irish wasn't so bad after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that did help a lot >>.>> I'll be sure to keep this in mind when studying. Now where has my vocab sheet gone...

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    Thank you, that did help a lot >>.>> I'll be sure to keep this in mind when studying. Now where has my vocab sheet gone...

No problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Actually, copying answers from the text will get you less than ½ marks. (This is clearly written in the marking scheme for examiners). In some of the past number of years, the questions in both the comprehensions and the unseen prose and poetry featured the phrase 'Bíodh na freagraí i d'fhocail féin' (in your own words).

In fact, you need to know all three regular tenses (past, present and future) and the conditional tense here, as stated in the guidelines sent to teachers when the format changed in November. The Aimsir Chaite will certainly not be sufficient.

Again, if you want to get an A, you need to know a story really well, not just the opening and closing paragraphs. My aunt normally corrects the Junior Cert., but cannot this year as I'm doing it. I would advise learning something really good with really good phrases — the old Irish books, if you can get your hand's on them, feature really good stories. The new books are used by everyone, so if a percentage are writing something better, why would you give the bog standard the A?

Some pieces of advice would be:
    • Impress the examiner. Know different words for different things. e.g. glas/uaine, ionad/laithráin, etc.
    • Know how to use an Modh Coinníollach
    • Memorise maybe two phrases that you can put in any story from the following tenses:
    • An Aimsir Ghnáthchaite
    • An Modh Foshuiteach Láith
    Memorise phrases for a story that covers many things. I have a title that covers: in the countryside, abroad with your family, on a school tour in Ireland, on a school tour abroad, camping, in the mountains, a storm, bad weather, accident in a forest, etc. For all of them, the phrases stay the same!

My aunt (and my teacher) never saw a an A answer that was shorter than ¾ of a page.

I d'fhocail féin. I need to say no more.

Definitely memorise opening and closing paragraphs. I would suggest 1¼ page letter.

• Opening Paragraph: A third of a page
    • Incident/Topic: Two-thirds of a page
    • Last Paragraph: A quarter to a third of a page
    The topic of your letter CANNOT be less than the opening and closing. That is just ludicrous!

Hope this helps the original poster.

Thanks,
    Ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Was there really a need to quote DKZ post and pretty much contradict everything that was said? Not fair really ...

M&S* wrote: »
    Was there really a need to quote DKZ post and pretty much contradict everything that was said? Not fair really ...

Look, obviously you constantly look for arguments in threads — I had a look through your post history.

Unfortunately, a lot of the advice was misguided. Shock, horror — I'm actually here to help — that I corrected his errors! Oh noes! What are we going to do? Plus, the poster said it as if he knew what he was talking about, and everyone seemed to thank him and agree.

Don't turn this into something it's not.

Thanks,
    Ed.

Vivara wrote: »
    Look, obviously you constantly look for arguments in threads — I had a look through your post history.

Unfortunately, a lot of the advice was misguided. Shock, horror — I'm actually here to help — that I corrected his errors! Oh noes! What are we going to do?

Don't turn this into something it's not.

Thanks,
    Ed.
    What did you find in my post history that made you think I look for arguments?? I'm not turning this into a fight just you didn't need to take everything he said and say its wrong like...

M&S* wrote: »
    What did you find in my post history that made you think I look for arguments?? I'm not turning this into a fight just you didn't need to take everything he said and say its wrong like...

But they were wrong, and everyone was heeding his advice. I wanted to contribute to this post and it would be silly of me not to correct them. This is the whole reason for the forum, to have a chat and help each other. What did you expect?

Thanks,
    Ed.

But they were wrong, and everyone was heeding his advice. I wanted to contribute to this post and it would be silly of me not to correct them. This is the whole reason for the forum, to have a chat and help each other. What did you expect?

Thanks,
    Ed.
    Your welcome ;)

Actually, copying answers from the text will get you less than ½ marks. (This is clearly written in the marking scheme for examiners). In some of the past number of years, the questions in both the comprehensions and the unseen prose and poetry featured the phrase 'Bíodh na freagraí i d'fhocail féin' (in your own words).

In fact, you need to know all three regular tenses (past, present and future) and the conditional tense here, as stated in the guidelines sent to teachers when the format changed in November. The Aimsir Chaite will certainly not be sufficient.

Again, if you want to get an A, you need to know a story really well, not just the opening and closing paragraphs. My aunt normally corrects the Junior Cert., but cannot this year as I'm doing it. I would advise learning something really good with really good phrases — the old Irish books, if you can get your hand's on them, feature really good stories. The new books are used by everyone, so if a percentage are writing something better, why would you give the bog standard the A?

• Impress the examiner. Know different words for different things. e.g. glas/uaine, ionad/laithráin, etc.
    • Memorise maybe two phrases that you can put in any story from the following tenses:
    • An Aimsir Ghnáthchaite
    Memorise phrases for a story that covers many things. I have a title that covers: in the countryside, abroad with your family, on a school tour in Ireland, on a school tour abroad, camping, in the mountains, a storm, bad weather, accident in a forest, etc. For all of them, the phrases stay the same!

My aunt (and my teacher) never saw a an A answer that was shorter than ¾ of a page.

Definitely memorise opening and closing paragraphs. I would suggest 1¼ page letter.

The topic of your letter CANNOT be less than the opening and closing. That is just ludicrous!

Thanks,
    Ed.

Thanks for correcting the mistakes I may have made and posting the above to help us out. I apologise if I may have mislead anyone, I will be sure to do some research if I offer some advice next time. I did not check the marking schemes for each section, I just went by the idea I got from my teacher/doing past and sample papers, but after checking the marking schemes now, I do realise I was wrong on a few occasions you have listed above.

Although I appreciate that I made some mistakes and you were simply correcting them, you can come across as slightly arrogant and condescending, which has been addressed before in another thread by forum members. I'm not looking for an argument, I merely wanted to give you a "heads-up".

Thanks once again for clearing up any confusion I have may have caused and apologies to anyone I may have mislead.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I had paper 1 of irish in the mocks last week and I think the new irish paper format is not too bad though, way easier than the last one:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Thanks DK. I'm officially freaked out now but at least I know what to study. Which is a lot :eek:

I don't plan on getting an A. I'm aiming on passing the paper at best, my Irish really isn't good at all. And I have one essay, Timpiste, learned off. I'm going to find a way to fit that into something :D

Don't have my papers with me at the moment... Is it you can have an essay, debate and stuff or a letter? Or is the letter on a different section of the paper? Either way I'm pretty sure that I'll either get a D or a C (if I'm lucky!) in this exam. Pity since I have an A/B average in every other subject :o

*sigh* times like this when I wish they'd make Irish optional already, like French and Spanish. Stop forcing it down our throats...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 C.Cat

in reply to the person who signs off as Ed. wow what sort of irish teacher do you have?? because if we need to know basically every tense there is me and my irish class are screwed! we have our paper 1 tomorrow (already done paper 2 and the tape) and unfortunately most people in my class can barely manage past present and future tenses! untill about tuesday of last week 3 days before our mocks offically started, we had not touched on verbs or tenses since first year! and i have to say i only have a bare knowledge of the Modh Coinníollach and all i know from that i learned in my two trips to the gaeltacht!
    so basically i'm crossing my fingers and toes that the standard of answers are not as high as you are describing!!!
    and by the way dont get me wrong, i like irish and am generally good at it gaining usually A's for my efforts in school tests so its not that i want an eassy junior cert or anything its just i know my class are never going to have covered the quantity and calabre of material you and your irish class seem to have covered!

C.Cat wrote: »
    in reply to the person who signs off as Ed. wow what sort of irish teacher do you have??

A really good one. In her own words, she 'eliminates all the typical complaints students have' about teachers.
    • She is never late for class.
    • She is really fair and genuine (she doesn't say the 'genuine' part).
    • She explains things to death, repeats them over and over. Every time we come across an tuiseal ginideach, she repeats T.G., T.G.
    • We have notes on everything.
    • She never scares students. She would be upset if she thought she scared students. (Although people are afraid of what she will think of them!)

We have detailed notes on Past, Present and Future tenses. We haven't done the Conditional Tense yet, so don't worry. But we will.

It's not like she is making it up either — you need the Conditional Tense for the Grammar section, but she thinks there would be uproar if they put it on the 2010 JC because it's the first year of the new format!

Ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 C.Cat

i'm sure you already know this but you should really count your self lucky, i and alot of my friends in my class would love to have a "real" teacher the other honours teacher in our year is brilliant, but thats life hey? :D
    thanks for the words of encouragement with the conditional tense! but anyway thank god i'm finished my mocks tomorrow! irish P1 and maths P2, lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 caoimhz12

I got 72% in higher level so i thought it was grand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

• An Aimsir Ghnáthchaite

Thanks,
    Ed.

Some very good points here. However can you point out EXACTLY where in this marking scheme is says that you will get less than half marks for copying straight out of the text:
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2011/JC001ALP000IV.pdf

My teacher corrects jc and says that once you copy out of the text correctly (ie only what is directly relevant to the question asked) that there is no reason why you shouldnt get full marks.

I believe some of your points were a bit excessive and really were directed at someone looking for a very high A.

Also, I too believe you went a bit far contradicting almost everything DKZ said, the only fault I could find was his reference to only being required to learn the Aimsir Caite only.

Please dont be so arrogant in future posts :)

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw this was a zombie thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 catlin.

anyone know any poems for junior cert irish higher level ?

catlin. wrote: »
    anyone know any poems for junior cert irish higher level ?

Have you not covered any in class??

no crap teacher , learned ''suibh milis'' but she gave us no notes ? exam on thursday .. im screwed ..

catlin. wrote: »
    no crap teacher , learned ''suibh milis'' but she gave us no notes ? exam on thursday .. im screwed ..

Don't worry about it too much, it's only 15 marks after all. Once you have a fair idea of the poem you should be able to write something anyway.

Have you a prós answer prepared?

not yet , planing on getting some notes tomorrow to answer afew past questions ..

Advertisement