Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Pacman in Maya

Options
  • 27-01-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Can someone please tell me how to make a 3D pacman in Maya.
    I have tried Booleans and it wasn't working for me.

Thanks
    Jak/mar

PS. I'm a noob with maya so I don't know everything in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

A boolean to cut a sharp 45 - 50 angle out of a sphere should work fine, what difficulties were you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

Splinters wrote: »
    A boolean to cut a sharp 45 - 50 angle out of a sphere should work fine, what difficulties were you having?

I'm sorry but I don't fully understand what you are saying.

The problem that I am having is the booleans. I make the shape that I want to cut out of the sphere with EP Curve tool. I then extrude that. I convert from NURBS to Polygons and delete the original. I then select Border edge tool and select all the edges. Then I use Fill Hole tool to make it a solid. I try to do Boolean Differences but nothing happens.

Sorry if I'm not very clear.

Thanks
    Jak/mar

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

It sounds like you're making things overly complicated for yourself, certainly for a simple pacman type character.

I just tried a quick test there and it took about 30 seconds, I drew a sphere, then a rectangle (wider then the sphere so it can completely intersect it). I roted the rectangle about 40 degrees on its side so its edge was facing the sphere. Then select the rectangle, choose modify -> freeze transformations to reset the pivot orientation. You can then scale down the height of the cube, essentially squishing it until its edge can cut a nice pacman like mouth in your sphere. Im useless at explaining things so basically your scene should look like this....

http://www.becomingproductions.net/pacman1.jpg

Move the rectangle into place so it interects where you want on the sphere, then select the sphere, shift select the rectangle and then choose mesh -> booleans -> difference.

I ended up with this....

http://www.becomingproductions.net/pacman2.jpg

Maya can get very complicated very quickly so wherever possible definately keep things as simple as you possibly can.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

Ok thanks.
    I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks
    Jak/mar

EDIT: Thanks it worked.

Advertisement